Forum Topic

Video Card not working

• Guys, pahelp naman.

I have a 6 year old pc with mobo Asrock N68 S3 UCC. Bumigay na ung old video card ko so i bought a new GT730. Problem is ayaw nya gumana sa mobo ko pero i couldnt find an article saying it is incompatible with my mobo. Any setting i might have overlooked? Below are the things ive done so far:

Disabled onboard graphics and set it to PCIE.
    Tried and tested the VC via a similar model mobo and doesnt work as well.
    Tried VC on a third mobo (Gigabyte) and it worked.

Any help wil be appreciated
  • your motherboard has a pcie 1.0 slot and your new videocard needs a pcie 2.0.
  • also check baka pangit or sira ang PSU mo, cannot handle the VC
  • as the case, typically, of pairing old hardware with the new....
  • @gtgonzales: thanks for the quick revert. Though as far as i know, 2.0 should be backward compatible with 1.0. Thats base on my understanding

\"PCIe 3.0, PCIe 2.0, PCIe 1.1 Differences

Does it matter that the single board computer / system host board and option card interface is PCI Express version 1.1, 2.0 or even the new PCIe 3.0? Not really, because the basic SBC to option card interconnect functionality is not affected by PCIe version. The reason for this is that the PCI-SIG (Peripheral Component Interconnect Special Interest Group) was forward thinking when PCI Express 1.1 was first developed.\"

<click here for link>

@amalgamvsaloof: thats a good idea. I will check if it has something to with the PSU though if the fan of the VC spins, doesnt that indicate that there is power? :)

-- edited by trekker04 on Jun 04 2015, 04:05 AM
  • though if the fan of the VC spins, doesnt that indicate that there is power? :)

sure but that doesnt indicate if there is ENOUGH power (either in amps or volts) or if the power that is being supplied is so unstable and noisy that the VC crashes.

Tried VC on a third mobo (Gigabyte) and it worked.

you know it would be really easier to troubleshoot if people didnt keep their PSU specs a secret

But we can assume this PC\'s psu is at least halfway decent so just transfer this PSU to the first PC to test

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Jun 04 2015, 09:40 AM
  • Yung sa kaibigan ako rin after windows loading screen then nag iitim ma siya (hindi na dumederetso sa desktop). Tapos tinanggal ko yung GT220 at nilipat ko muna sa mobo yung monitor. Ayun gumana na. Video card nga kaya o may iba pang sanhi?
  • Sa akin naman ay nagupgrade ako dati ng GPU (GT) sa ASUS-p5kpl.
    Ayaw mag setup ng driver pero may display sa windows8.
  • @Amalgamvs: sorry, i was at work and couldnt get my hands on my PC when i posted this. Here\'s the complete specs:

Proc: AMD Athlon II X2 250
    Mobo: Asrock N68-S UCC (not yet OC)
    HDD: 320 GB HDD
    DVDRW: Toshiba DVDRW
    RAM: 4GB DDR3
    PSU: Xstyle 650W = true rated

Additional Info:
    I disconnected other parts that draws power from the PSU (DVDRW, HDD, MOuse, KB) and with just the VC connected, still doesnt work. :(
  • Dear all,

I finally had a time to really sit and think about the issue here. This might help other people having the same issue. I downgraded the BIOS from 1.60 to a 1.40 and upon installing the VC, it effin worked!!! I have tried so many things only to find out that that is the only issue. Im a happy kid now. :)

Sir Amalgamvsaloof: thanks for the help!
  • Yung sa kaibigan ako rin after windows loading screen then nag iitim ma siya (hindi na dumederetso sa desktop). Tapos tinanggal ko yung GT220 at nilipat ko muna sa mobo yung monitor. Ayun gumana na. Video card nga kaya o may iba pang sanhi?

if it actually goes into windows* but the screen is black then it might be that the resolution/refresh rate is set at a value the monitor cannot display

* to know if windows loaded but the screen is black you usually have to make windows make a sound. For older versions of windows thats usually the windows startup sound. For win 8 I set the capslock key to beep if pressed