Forum Topic

Construction and Renovation Issues (Builder's Thread)

• A part of my Sister's house got burned in a fire 2 weeks ago that started from their neighbor's wooden house. Thank God no one got hurt. But the top floor structures / polycarbonate roofings were badly damaged. So sa mga nagpapagawa pa lang ng bahay sa inyo consider raising your firewalls as much as you can which was the mistake here as aesthetics was prioritized in a densely populated area at that. Luckily my parents' residence was spared na kaback to back lang nyan house ng Sis ko. Equally as important is to have our house's electricals and all those things inspected na kadalasan pinagmumulan ng sunog. It's advisable to have our fire equipments available and as updated as possible e.g. fire extinguishers. Ingat everyone halos araw araw may sunog.

-- edited by musicgeek on Feb 28 2024, 06:16 AM
  • now i know kahit mahal ang fire ext. na required sa building permit, yung akin mag 2 years na may recharge paren kaya need talaga yan yung bahay ko may space sa paligid ayoko din isagad at hassle talaga pag nasunugan
  • @musicgeek

I hope that the structure is still deemed as structurally safe and that cosmetic lang ang damage suffered.
  • ^I hope so too. Unfortunately, we cannot get an assessment if my Sis residence is structurally safe until my Brother-in-law comes back from the province who's taking care of his ailing Mom. Another bad thing is this place got no insurance as no firm wants to take the risk.

-- edited by musicgeek on Feb 27 2024, 08:06 PM
  • @musicgeek
    it's good to know that no one in the family got hurt. matindi ang phobia ko sa sunog. and yes, our house could had been burnt into ashes if our firewall wasn't that good.
  • @musicgeek...

So sa mga nagpapagawa pa lang ng bahay sa inyo consider raising your firewalls as much as you can which was the mistake here as aesthetics was prioritized in a densely populated area at that.

Question for structure alone...

- may I know alin house ang unang tinayo?
    - both house na design and signed by a reputable Architect and Civil Engineer?
    - during construction may regular inspection ba ito ng municipal engineer?

I asked this query because we need to know if this is properly designed by a professional and properly inspected by municipal engineering authority.

Oh baka naman DIY lang at kumpiyansa na kay Foreman, o sadyang walang alam si Architect at Engineer sa ganyan magkadikit na building?

A firewall should be minimum 0.04m above the roof line and 0.40m offset from front/side wall, and no opening.

IMHO c",?
  • @musicgeek...

^I hope so too. Unfortunately, we cannot get an assessment if my Sis residence is structurally safe

Check for cracks or damage on the following...
    1. Beams
    2. Columns
    3. Roofing system

** Walls (chb) is not part of structure, kung may crack pwede i-replace
  • @SnakeEyes416140

1. may I know alin house ang unang tinayo?
    2. both house na design and signed by a reputable Architect and Civil Engineer?
    3. during construction may regular inspection ba ito ng municipal engineer?

I asked this query because we need to know if this is properly designed by a professional and properly inspected by municipal engineering authority.

4. Oh baka naman DIY lang at kumpiyansa na kay Foreman, o sadyang walang alam si Architect at Engineer sa ganyan magkadikit na building?

5. A firewall should be minimum 0.04m above the roof line and 0.40m offset from front/side wall, and no opening.

1. Yun pinagmulan ng sunog was built in the 70s pa daw. My sister's house was newly constructed / latter part of 2021 lang sila lumipat.
    2. Afaik, the Archi and Eng are both good but not great. Madami na daw nagawa structures sa area namin then again my Bro in Law was not satisfied particularly with the finishings.
    3. Ang pagkakaalam ko lang my Bro in Law complied with what was required by the city engineer so the bldg permits and all were in place. I'm not so sure lang if the authorities here have done their part as we live in the boundary of pasay/paranaque where it's kind of disorganized here.
    4. Sa area talaga namin the way I see it allowed nila magkakadikit na bahay / bldg. This a place for the masses. I think that's also the main reason why wala kaming makuha insurance lagi nila say "dikit dikit mga bahay nyo, it's too risky for us"
    5. IIRC when we had talked about the firewall it was also complied but with the minimum requirements. The primary consideration was aesthetics / masyadong kulong if they have surrounded everything by firewalls. Yun nasunog na bahay was only 2 floors vs 3 floors Sis residence. It was just unfortunate the strong winds which swayed sideways that time caused my Sis house to be partially burned.
    Check for cracks or damage on the following...
    1. Beams
    2. Columns
    3. Roofing system

** Walls (chb) is not part of structure, kung may crack pwede i-replace

Thanks for the advice.
  • @statix
    it's good to know that no one in the family got hurt. matindi ang phobia ko sa sunog. and yes, our house could had been burnt into ashes if our firewall wasn't that good.

Good thing napalibutan ng firewall ng katabing houses yan nasunog na house kaya mabilis na naapula, kundi mas malaking perwisyo yan. Lesson learned to consider the place where to build a house. Yun pa lang no insurance firm taker was already a red flag.
  • @musicgeek...
    1. Yun pinagmulan ng sunog was built in the 70s pa daw. My sister's house was newly constructed / latter part of 2021 lang sila lumipat.
    - in designing a house/bldg, the Arch/Engr should make a study and consider surrounding condition

- on that case the designer should follow building code by incorporating proper firewall.

2. Afaik, the Archi and Eng are both good but not great. Madami na daw nagawa structures sa area namin then again my Bro in Law was not satisfied particularly with the finishings.
    - next time make due diligence, check their actual finished project
    - minsan, hinde maiiwasan kahet professional Arch/Engr at pagsasamantalahan ka, hire a consultant or resident engineer to check the progress of your house and evaluate progress billing ng contractor kung tama ba binabayaran mo

3. Ang pagkakaalam ko lang my Bro in Law complied with what was required by the city engineer so the bldg permits and all were in place. I'm not so sure lang if the authorities here have done their part as we live in the boundary of pasay/paranaque where it's kind of disorganized here.
    - the least meron dapat titingin na marunong sa pinapagawa nyo na bahay (consultant/resident engineer)

5. IIRC when we had talked about the firewall it was also complied but with the minimum requirements. The primary consideration was aesthetics / masyadong kulong if they have surrounded everything by firewalls. Yun nasunog na bahay was only 2 floors vs 3 floors Sis residence. It was just unfortunate the strong winds which swayed sideways that time caused my Sis house to be partially burned.
    - safety first, safety on your investment (actually a living dwelling is not an investment unless you put it in rental)
    - not properly complied as per Building Code based on the photo
    - firewall on left and right side and setbacks on the rear/back side

Erratum:
    5. A firewall should be minimum 0.04m above the roof line and 0.40m offset from front/side wall, and no opening.

5. A firewall should be minimum 0.40m above the roof line and 0.40m offset from front/side wall, and no opening.
  • ^Thanks again bro
  • ano recommended type ng tiles para sa living room?

vinyl?
    laminated?
    porcelain?
    ceramic?
  • synthetic granite ata nabili ko pang floor yung makintab para mop lang panlinis ko madaling linisan kaso prob ko lang durability nasiraan ako ng isa nung nahulug ang martilyo ni foreman sa floor tsk pero konting baak lang XD

asa preference mo naman yan kung ano trip mo pero na share kolang yung akin
  • porcelain for high traffic areas, good for commercial use na kasi yan

pero any will do as long na maayos pagkaka install, kung home use lang
    depende na lang sa preference and budget mo
  • guys may naka try naba ng SPC Flooring sa inyo?

balak kong lagyan yung kwarto ng mga bata, naka linoleum lang kasi ngayon sila, need bang flat na flat yung flooring na lalagyan nya

SPC Flooring
    <click here for link>
  • @wheelee

never tried. it pero kung sa akin yan siguraduhin ko muna walang warping sa floor bago ko latagan.
  • naku! mukhang need kong mag mason muna nito hehehe

medyo uneven yung flooring nila, thanks for the heads up
  • naku! mukhang need kong mag mason muna nito hehehe

medyo uneven yung flooring nila

yes, kikilos yan once tinapakan kung warped ang surface.