>

User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

Unified Laptop/Notebook/Netbook Users Thread Part 2 (NO Trading Allowed)

• Noted sir Nelko, ok lang naman tsaka hindi po ito ang unang laptop ko I previously owned a lenovo netbook and a hp pavilion. I had a good experience with my lenovo and it lasted 3 years in my care, nasa kapatid ko na ngayon. Ano bang hindi maganda sa units ng lenovo? May it be rumors or facts, gusto kong lang marinig. Malaki na kasi para sakin yung 40k kung sakaling matutuloy ang pagbili ko nung Flex2, ayaw kong pagsisihan sa huli na ito yung binili ko. Kaya naghahanap talaga ako ng pinakamaiging paggastahan na unit.

@ carlowmimi, sir pashare naman po nung 'info' about lenovo na alam mo. Lenovo po kasi yung plano kung bilhing laptop.

-- edited by axys17 on Dec 17 2014, 03:47 PM
  • axys17:

Ano bang hindi maganda sa units ng lenovo?

Well, they are evolving their entire line toward the Ultrabook spec in one way or another. That can't be good for people who like to keep batteries separate and stored.

Other than that, I don't see what could be wrong with the entire Lenovo product offering.

pashare naman po nung 'info' about lenovo na alam mo. Lenovo po kasi yung plano kung bilhing laptop.

I believe he might be talking about the worldwide recalls made by Lenovo recently and a few months ago, all related to power: first the batteries, then power cords.

The most recent recall isn't just Lenovo-related, however. It has affected a great number of brands as well, such as Toshiba and HP.

It has something to do with the infamous Taiwanese made "LS-15" power cables, which have been found to possess a defect that could lead to unsafe consequences.
  • Hi Sir Nelko,

As per browsing few pages, i've seen that you are the most active and gives advises re notebooks. So ill just ask you also :)

I'll be buying my wife a notebook though my budget is at max around 21k. I've looked around megamall to check the available options. I've seen few but i like to consult here first since i know many users at TPC are more of the enthusiast users.

The notebook will be used mainly for
    1. MS Office Applications
    2. Browsing the net (Social media etc)
    well you know how ladies use their phones/notebooks... lol

Also, it should be portable and handy. I'm thinking of getting her an 11.6" though it MIGHT be too small for excel use? Another alternative will be a 13.3". I would like to stay away from 14" and above as well as 10.1".

I've seen Acer 11.6" notebooks that fits my budget but im only concerned with the processor. Well almost all 11.6" comes with the Celeron or AMD A4 procie. Im not sure about their performance now. I know that it is definitely better compared to the Celerons before that really sucked.

Can you guide me on choosing the proper notebook? Thanks in advance! I'll be happy to answer further questions so that we can limit my choices.

Cheers!
  • Mimigas:

No, it's not that. Ultrabook may be a brand, but it's also a spec. Like HSA. It's got nothing to do with the brand part and everything to do with the spec part.

It's because if a user says he's looking for an Ultrabook, then recommendations will be as per the spec. All those suggested were still under the spec. If the recommendation was for ultraportables, then the MacBook would come into consideration.

In my advice, I even make sure to differentiate which are pseudo Ultrabook and those that are certified, so the owner-to-be can make careful considerations whether the price barrier to enter Ultrabooks is worth the compromise.

But to recommend MBs as Ultrabooks is just wrong. They in an entirely different league of their own.

Okay. Pedantically speaking, I'll have to agree with you. MBAs are not Ultrabooks (the Intel brand). But the concept of an ultrabook (I'll be differentiating the two through capitalization from hereon out) is bigger than just that and encompasses a much larger category.

You first pointed to the Intel spec by which the first MBA has and when I pointed out that this could essentially mean that the MBA is the first Ultrabook, you then expand it to ultrabook, the concept, so it covers the earlier portables which aimed to be what modern ultrabooks are. So from what you said, an MBA is not an Intel-certified Ultrabook (but you did concede that the first few models pass the spec, regardless), but it's an ultrabook in form and function, as the earlier VAIO model you mentioned.

Now the distinction above is not something most people will make. When they ask for an ultrabook, they ask for a portable that's in that form-factor in which the MBA is in whether you like to lump the MBAs in the same league as Ultrabooks or not; they're not specifically asking for machines that fit the Intel spec (in hindsight, you only listed Intel-certified Ultrabooks so I should have realized you'd be very particular about that). Truth be told, if you ask people on the thread directly what they're looking for in an ultrabook, they'll give you use cases which would fall under ultraportables, not the specific items on the Ultrabook specsheet. To the layman, an ultrabook *is* an ultraportable and vice versa.

I understand the pedantry. I'm that way on topics I am invested in and feel strongly about. It is important to be factual and precise but in this case, it assumes the background is common knowledge which it simply isn't. I personally know a handful of people in school who were looking for ultrabooks (or ultraportables to be exact for your benefit) and were pleasantly surprised that MBAs were at an excellent price point and got those instead and are very happy with the purchase. I've never seen anyone recommend products by "league". If a product satisfies the need, why exclude it and especially since it's in the same price range anyway? Maybe if the question had specifics that explicitly disqualified the MBA like "not Apple" or "Windows" or "could play DOTA2" (although those last two don't really disqualify an MBA either).

Perhaps, moving forward, we should first clarify if people are looking for an ultraportable or an Ultrabook?

Edit: Fixed quote.

-- edited by Mimigas on Dec 17 2014, 06:24 PM
  • sabawballs:

Interesting handle.

well you know how ladies use their phones/notebooks... lol

Oh boy. I thought I did. Each time I assist women in selecting a new notebook, my theories are usually wrong.

I'm thinking of getting her an 11.6" though it MIGHT be too small for excel use?

It would depend on the size of her worksheets, the resolution of the screen, and her comfort zone regarding font size and her visual acuity.

Sometimes you can accept working on an 11.6-in. screen if you require the mobility.

Im not sure about their performance now. I know that it is definitely better compared to the Celerons before that really sucked.

Well, it depends on which Celerons you're basing off of. I remember that Intel sold a number of Sandy Bridge Celerons that outperformed the Celerons of the Clover Trail variety. There is a line between these two classes of Celerons: one is a stripped down mobile processor; the other is a based on system-on-chips (SoCs). Both have improved over their respective predecessors, but the latter still cannot outperform the former.

It should be noted, however, that the improvement to the SoC side of Celerons is much more felt thanks to the great strides made in Silvermont for Bay Trail-T and -M. Where AMD's Brazos 1.0 and 2.0 had an advantage, Intel's Silvermont gained in a single quasi-leap and are therefore mostly on par with the competition.

The fact that processors of this persuasion are also Android-capable puts a dent in the mood of many ARM-based CPUs due to the Bay Trail's sheer performance.

But to answer your question via experience, yes -- the Celeron N29xxs should be enough for light office work and even medium browsing as long as Flash is kept at a minimum.

Can you guide me on choosing the proper notebook?

Sure. If the aforementioned activities are the primary use for this notebook, we can shortlist a couple of models within your requirements.

I'll be happy to answer further questions so that we can limit my choices.

That's great. I have a few:

1. Brand new or pre-owned?
    2. You mentioned about phones and notebooks, so I was wondering, does she own a tablet already? If yes, what can you say of her opinion of hybrid / convertible notebooks? If no, does she want to own a tablet in the future?
    3. Has she owned a notebook before? If yes, what was the model of the notebook? What were her feelings about the notebook she owned? Was it too slow for her? Or was it too large or heavy for her? And how often, how careful, and where did she use her notebook? What happened to her previous notebook?
  • Thanks for the prompt reply sir Nelko.

To answer your questions
    1.Preferred Brand New

2. Shes using a note 2. So its kind of in between tablet and a phone. Well she likes it because of the big screen for browing and watching movies. Though when she tries to open/edit documents, its too small for her.

3. Nope she haven't owned any notebooks yet. Though she borrowed my work laptop before and it was a 13" incher ultrabook and she liked it. But yeah given my bugdet, im afraid i cant buy her that. Heck i cant buy that for myself. Lol

Well i know she opens multiple tabs of browsers including fb plus maybe streaming music while working on excel/word.

I happen to get a quote a tad below 22k for a 13.3" core i3 40xx(forgot the exact numbering) with 4gb ram and 500gb hdd.

Though still wondering if an 11.3" would be better for more portability. But price for 11.3 and 13.3 with i3 is almost the same or maybe the 11.3 might be more expensive.

The celeron or a4 11.3 is much cheaper though.

She's petite by the way.. lol

Thank in advance sir Nelko!

-- edited by sabawballs on Dec 17 2014, 07:02 PM
  • Mimigas:

Sigh.

You first pointed to the Intel spec by which the first MBA has and when I pointed out that this could essentially mean that the MBA is the first Ultrabook, you then expand it to ultrabook, the concept,

Wait. When did I expand it to ultrabook, "the concept"? I've always referred to Ultrabook which means I've always referred to the spec.

To understand where the Ultrabook is now is to understand where it came from. So take this into perspective:

Three years after the first MacBook Air, Intel sets out the first Ultrabook spec using the features of the relevant MacBook Airs out in the market in 2011. Its first spec wasn't as strict or as specifically defined as the latest one today, so it could have qualified a great number of notebooks including those that probably weren't marketed as one. Obviously, since MacBook Airs were the basis for the first spec, they qualified as long as they fit the specifics.

Along came Ivy Bridge a year later, and this time Intel wanted to whip the market to shape. The previous period was marred by various experiments with the Ultrabook concept. They added criteria for secondary storages, battery life, connectivity and an upgrade to packaged Intel-only technologies (before the whole critical security fiasco). Some of the new criteria still qualified MacBook Airs (because these specific criteria still based off of MBA features), but only Pros qualified for all of the new criteria, including the software part.

Alas, we are now at the Haswell generation. In fact, we are the twilight of the Broadwell generation. Intel has had three years to observe the trend of the Ultrabook market. They are now confident they can move forward without looking back on MacBook Air. They set out specifications that disqualify a number of old Ultrabooks from the spec and create more stringent criteria for previously existing categories. They did this to push evolution of the spec forward. However, in doing so, they managed to disqualify the entire MacBook line.

And despite Intel's hopes that the new MacBooks might adhere to the spec, they did not, and the 2014 models still aren't Ultrabooks because Apple is still hesitant to put touchscreen panels.

So as you can see, MacBooks were Ultrabooks. But they are not Ultrabooks now. If they adhere to the spec, they will become Ultrabooks, and if they continue fitting future specs, they will remain Ultrabooks.

But that isn't today.

I personally know a handful of people in school who were looking for ultrabooks

Just because 3 billion people claim the wrong thing as truth doesn't make it right.

Truth be told, if you ask people on the thread directly what they're looking for in an ultrabook, they'll give you use cases which would fall under ultraportables, not the specific items on the Ultrabook specsheet. To the layman, an ultrabook *is* an ultraportable and vice versa.

As for your first point, they give requirements that fall into ultraportables because Ultrabooks can be ultraportables. There's nothing wrong with that.

Additionally, I can correct their notion of Ultrabooks and ultraportables, and change my recommendations to his / her change of perspective. It's no trouble.

But, the idea is not vice versa. It's the same way that the Internet is an internet but an internet isn't the Internet.

Ultrabook is a specification and trademarked brand by Intel for a class of high-end subnotebooks which are designed to feature reduced bulk without compromising battery life.

Source: Wikipedia.org :: Ultrabook <click here for link>

A subnotebook (also called an ultraportable or mini notebook) is a class of laptop computers that are smaller and lighter than a typical notebook.

Source: Wikipedia.org :: Subnotebook <click here for link>

Ultrabooks may be the latest buzzword, but that's just another type of ultraportable laptop. We give you the five best ultraportables on the market today.

Source: PCMag.com :: The 10 Best Ultraportables <click here for link>

An ultrabook[sic] is basically a select type of laptop and therefore there are many similarities between these new ultraportable computers

Source: Ultrabookreview.com :: Ultrabook vs regular laptop/notebook in 2014 <click here for link>

An Ultrabook is an ultraportable. It's a class of ultraportable, which in turn an ultraportable is a class of notebook. But not all ultraportables are Ultrabooks because ultraportables is a much broader class including the not so expensive ones.

Ergo:

I. notebook
    I.B ultraportable
    I.B.1 subnotebooks
    I.B.2 Ultrabooks

It is important to be factual and precise but in this case, it assumes the background is common knowledge which it simply isn't.

Then isn't it for us to resolve that problem instead of being part of it? Re-education may be tough, but it's for a good cause.

You're quick to call my adherence to spec as excessive and almost tantamount to arrogance, yet you're unable to comprehend that you're upset over the fact that a notebook that may have been responsible for spawning the next generation of notebooks is exempt from a recommendation for the next generation of notebook.

And why is it exempt? Because apparently it doesn't qualify for this next generation.

If this had happened in reverse -- that Apple made the spec and set out the same rules as Intel did, and Samsung's Series 5 just happened to qualify as a Ultrabook in all categories save for its battery stamina, I would never recommend it as an Ultrabook.

Why? Because its battery stamina fails the spec.

Simple as that.

Perhaps, moving forward, we should first clarify if people are looking for an ultraportable or an Ultrabook?

And if they do not, we shall ask them what they want specifically.

Edit: Redundancy removed.

-- edited by Nelko on Dec 17 2014, 08:29 PM
  • sabawballs:

Thank you.

Well, perhaps you've been looking at the Aspire E3-111 and the ASUS X102BA. Maybe you'd want to check the Lenovo S210 as well:

- Lenovo IdeaPad S210 (3239, Celeron 1017U, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 2500, 500 GB HD, 11.6-in. HD TN TS)

It utilizes a touchscreen, but it's only up to 1366 x 768 resolution. It won't provide as much real estate as one would like for Excel than an HD+ screen, but it may help with the touch interface. The Celeron 1017U is only slightly better than a Celeron N28xx CPU, but the choice to move up to the 1017U is a matter of maximum supported RAM -- the 1017U supports more.

Additionally, its inherent features are still present (whichever wasn't disabled): the Ivy Bridge-based Intel HD Graphics (although it performs more like a HD Graphics 2500) and Ivy Bridge CPU performance (lower clock, no Hyperthreading).

I'd suggest E2-6110-powered CPUs as well if no Bay Trail-T CPUs are entering your budget bracket. They'd perform much better than the Celeron N28xxs to a point. Unfortunately, they don't support more than one memory channel and that could gimp performance in the long run.

Edit: Gimp, not give.

-- edited by Nelko on Dec 17 2014, 08:58 PM
  • Thanks again Sir Nelko.

Actually i've been reading now about celerons and it is really confusing. lol

Though i gathered some info i guess.

Is this the correct order?

1019Y < 2129Y < N2830 < 1007U < N2930 < 1017U < 1037U < 4030U

-- edited by sabawballs on Dec 17 2014, 09:10 PM
  • sabawballs:

I know how you feel. I was there when I was frantically searching for a bargain-tier notebook for family and for a friend as birthday gifts.

Is this the correct order?

1019Y < 2129Y < N2830 < 1007U < N2930 < 1017U < 4030U

It's about right. You based off of aggregate scores from synthetic benchmarks, right?
  • Yes that is based on CPU BOSS. lol!

But now my dilemma is, some 11.6" screens that are celerons with touch are almost the same price as the 13" core i3 4030u non-touch

The enthusiast in me says that just go with the i3 and call it a day.

Actually my choices are

Lenovo S210 (5939-1096 Black) 11.6-inch Celeron 1037U, DOS - Affordable, Thin and Light
    Lenovo IdeaPad S210 (5938-3239 Black/ 5938-3240 White) Celeron 1017U, 11.6-inch Multi-Touch Display w/ Win8
    Acer TMB115-M-C1YD 11.6-inch HD ntel Celeron N2930/2GB/500GB/Intel HD Graphics/Win 8.1 w/ Bing
    Acer TravelMate TMB113-E-10072G50akk (Win 8) 11.6-inch Celeron 1007U 1.50GHz
    Acer V5-132-10192G50nss 11.6-inch Intel Celeron 1019Y/2GB/500GB/Intel HD Graphics/Windows 8.1
    Acer V5-132P-21294G50nbb 11.6-inch Touch Intel Pentium 2129Y/4GB/500GB/Intel HD Graphics/Win 8.1
    Acer V3-371-36F6 13.3-inch HD Intel Core-i3-4030u/4GB/500GB/Intel HD Graphics 4400/Windows 8.1
    Asus X200CA-CT0xxH Blue/Red/Black 11.6-inch Multi-Touch Screen Intel Celeron 1007U/4GB/500GB/Windows 8

Should we do some elimination process? or perhaps addition? lol!

-- edited by sabawballs on Dec 17 2014, 09:41 PM
  • sabawballs:

The enthusiast in you may be right, for all intents and purposes, but the novelty of a touchscreen might be something your wife would welcome.

If it is not a birthday or surprise gift to her, perhaps having her try out your best touchscreen candidate for a while might give you a different perspective.

Also, I noticed you have the Snow White (as opposed to the Black Beauty variant) in your selection -- the Aspire V3-371. I'm surprised you found another SKU other than the 56CB. But isn't this a little above your budget bracket?

I won't stop you from considering the Aspire V3-371, because it's appeal is pretty obvious. It might be a good choice if it still fits your bill.
  • Nelko:

Actually it is my Christmas gift to her. So i couldn't bring her to stores and let them try it out... gotta be pretty obvious if i did that. haha!

Is there a black variant or other colors for the V3-371? But yeah like i said, someone quoted me a tad below 22k for it. So might be the best buy out of all right?

Your thoughts?

note: i do hope though that i still get that free phone with that price. lol!

-- edited by sabawballs on Dec 17 2014, 10:12 PM
  • sabawballs:

Actually it is my Christmas gift to her. So i couldn't bring her to stores and let them try it out... gotta be pretty obvious if i did that. haha!

Yes, I had a feeling about that.

I also felt that if I was to give a present to my sisters or female friends, the V3-371 would seriously come into consideration among others, like the T200TA, especially after someone I was helping chose the 56CB. I was able to observe her reaction for a few hours after the purchase.

Is there a black variant or other colors for the V3-371?

There are only two, actually: the white version (Snow White) and the black version (Black Beauty). And according to some retailers, the 36F6 is a Snow White. Maybe you could get lucky and find a black one at no extra charge.

So might be the best buy out of all right?

Your thoughts?

Well, like I said before, I understand the immediate appeal the Aspire V3-371 gives off.

For its price, a Core i3 ULV CPU will deliver even better performance than the best Bay Trail-T. I can't say that it has a better price to performance ratio, but it's damn close. Inherent improvements such as the HD Graphics 4400 is great. The upgradeability of the ultraportable is even better.

Battery is mixed bag. I think daily use would give a better overview of its stamina.

I know by experience that the battery lasts about 5 hours, but that's with the 56CB. The one who bought the 56CB also loved its responsiveness, something that might be a problem with the 4030U during multitasking. Wireless is a bit iffy as well since it was sporadically losing signal to the mall's access point, but the owner said that she had minor issues with the signal at home (losing 2 bars vs. an access point in the next room).

Edit:

note: i do hope though that i still get that free phone with that price. lol!

I knew it! You're buying it from the same place!

Haha! Well happy shopping, sir. And Season's greetings to you and your wife.

-- edited by Nelko on Dec 17 2014, 10:33 PM
  • Haha!

Thanks so much for the help Nelko!

Just a quick search and reviews though, im kinda worried about the "touch pad issues" with the unit. Did the one you helped out had any issues with his/her touch pad?
  • Good day to all.
    Any suggestion for a good multimedia laptop with 15 in. full HD display. Main purpose is for watching movies so the main priority of specs is the display as much as possible it should IPS. My budget is around 50k.
    TIA!
  • Good day to all.
    Any suggestion for a good multimedia laptop with 15 in. full HD display. Main purpose is for watching movies so the main priority of specs is the display as much as possible it should IPS. My budget is around 50k.
    TIA!

check the Asus N550JK! it now costs 47k cash now! (down from 59k and 64k)
  • sabawballs:

None that I have heard so far. This shouldn't be an indicator that there is no problem with the pad, however. She could be tolerant of its faults.

She was given a pouch and a mouse at the time, so she could also be using the mouse.

totapwnage18:

Hmm...

Notebooks with 14-inch IPS panels are almost at your budget if not more, so notebooks with the finest panels larger than 14 inches could probably cost 25% to 75% more than your current budget.

One example of 14-inch panels at a little over 50 grand is the:

- Dell Inspiron 14 7000 Series (7447, Core i7 4712HQ, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 4 GB, 8 GB + 1 TB SSHD, 14-in. FHD IPS)

And as sir DTNS pointed out, the entertainment variant of the G550, the N550, is also close to your budget:

- ASUS N550JK (017H, Core i7 4700HQ, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 4 GB, 1 TB HD, 15.6-in. FHD IPS)

If you can find it going for 47 grand, the incentive to purchase one would be much better.
  • any suggestion for an 11inch netbook around 14k?
    preferably lightweight. My wife will bring it everyday to work kasi.

usually for ms office tasks lang gagamitin

i was looking at the Acer B115 the quad core version priced at 13995

thanks!

-- edited by silencedogood on Dec 18 2014, 01:40 PM
  • @Nelko I hope you remembered my case regarding my Lenovoz 480 laptop right? The homekeys including the ' and | are not working. I just remembered I bought 2x 1600mhz 4gig RAM on my laptop. Do you think this is the cause of the problem? I still have tje stickers attached to those RAM so I am just wondering if you have an idea about it. Else, I will be willing to remove it and try back my spare 4gig ram and see if the problem resolves.
  • silencedogood:

The C2NJ SKU of the TravelMate B115-M would be fine for light to moderate productivity. If your wife won't work with formula-ridden workbooks in Excel, it should fare pretty well.

Over time, however, you might want to upgrade the TravelMate to at least 4 GB of RAM.

In all honesty, though, if you could afford a little bit more, her work could go smoother with a quad-core Celeron N2930. This processor is in the C1YD SKU of the TravelMate B115-M and may cost anywhere from 14.5 grand to 15 grand.

neonwarge04:

Yes, I still do.

I haven't heard of faster RAM causing keyboard transistor switches to no longer register (or an A20 gate mask to fail). But since notebook motherboards are built with less stringent standards and guidelines, there could always be a first.

It wouldn't hurt to try.

Maybe the malfunction of the transistor switches isn't much of an electronic nature than it is a physical nature. Perhaps the transistor switches under those keys have developed a layer of contaminant that hinders the switches from closing.

Otherwise, it's a strange phenomenon that two isolated regions of the transistor grid are no longer registering.
  • Guys tanung lang.
    San kaya makakabili ng screw driver para sa laptop?
    yung parang alen key ang itsura pero sobrang liit.
    may mga loose screw kasi laptop ko ayaw ko namna gamitan ng kutsilyo or anything sharp baka madamage ung screw.
    Any suggestion at anu name nun?
    Meron kaya sa CDR King??
  • My schedule is set, planning to buy a gaming laptop tomorrow or on Monday.

Can you help me make a decision.

Acer V Nitro VN7-591G-71TP 15.6-inch IPS FHD/Intel Core i7-4710HQ/8GB/1TB+60GB SSD/2GB GTX860M/Win 8.1
    Lenovo Y5070 5941-8009 15.6-inch Full HD Core i7-4710HQ/8GB/1TB/4GB GTX-860M/Windows 8.1
    Dell Inspiron 7447 Black/Red 14-inch IPS FHD Intel Core i7-4710HQ/8GB/1TB/4GB NVIDIA GTX 850M/Windows 8.1
    Asus N550 Intel 4th Gen Core i7 CPU, nVidia GTX850M 4GB VRAM

Or maybe you have other suggestions?

I don't have a problem with the price.
    leaning on the ratio of good thermals and acceptable weight(non brick nb like ROG G750)
    l
    Also i saw some GTX970M's Notebooks from MSI. on the mall. Are they worth getting now?

-- edited by mayu08 on Dec 19 2014, 09:55 PM
  • Also i saw some GTX970M's Notebooks from MSI. on the mall. Are they worth getting now?

a big YES!!!!!!!!! the 970M already outperforms NVidia's previous top-of-the-line mobile gpu, the 880M, by around 15%. you can even play Crysis 3 or Watch Dogs at Ultra Settings and you'll still get over 30fps! ;-)

IMO, if you can afford a laptop with the 970M or higher, go for it! :D
  • check the Asus N550JK! it now costs 47k cash now! (down from 59k and 64k)

Saan yung 47K na N550JK? Still outside my budget but might be worth the stretch!
  • denz13:

I'm not sure about finding Hex or Torx drivers at CDR, but I'm pretty sure you'd find some in hardware stores with precision sets. If you're looking at a Torx screw, you'll find Torx drivers separate from the standard precision sets.
  • mayu08:

If it's imperative that you purchase a notebook sooner than later, then any of your options would do.

The V15 Nitro is currently enjoying the limelight in the absence of 15-inch refreshes from the competition. Its most notable features are connectivity options all arranged at the right side of the notebook (a warning for lefties), a quad array of stereo speakers as found in the Envy and N Series line, a much more silent cooling system, the ability to upgrade to M.2 SSDs, and a 4-hour battery stamina.

The Lenovo IdeaPad Y5070 is a mainstay in this category, having been longer in the market than the other two options (about the same market age as the N550). It'll probably be available in cheaper prices. Its features include a 2.1 speaker system (which is outstanding given its profile), Wireless AC, brushed metal / rubberized finish, and a 4-hour battery stamina.

The Inspiron, may be a far toss from Dell's premium entertainment line, the XPS, but its build quality is comparable. For its price, you get an aluminum chassis with a mid-tier GTX 850M, Wireless AC, the largest battery capacity of all four notebooks, and a FHD IPS touchscreen panel. There are two SKUs for this particular model -- the specs indicate that this is the most premium version of the two SKUs.

The ASUS N550 is similar to its ROG cousin, the G550. In fact, it's so similar that you could say that the N550 is a mimic of the ROG notebook, only it is intended for premium entertainment than all-out gaming. A 2.1 speaker system featuring quad-array stereo, the refresh to Maxwell GTX 850M, aluminum / plastic body, IPS and touchscreen options, almost 5 hours battery stamina, and ASUS paraphernalia rounds out the features of the N550.

Understandably, all the notebooks you have iterated have heat issues associated with them. The Y5070 places the CPU and GPU close to one another that a certain region of the notebook gets warmer than others. The V15 Nitro separates the CPU and GPU into two separate regions but aren't able to keep these regions comfortably cool for an extended period of time. The Inspiron 14 7447 uses only a single-fan cooling solution which vents out through the left side of the notebook, and the CPU and GPU are also situated close enough together to warrant concern. The N550 uses the same dual fan cooling solution of the G550 (and not the new single fan solution of the G551) and inherits the heat management issues of its ROG cousin, but IceCool Technology should keep the surface temperatures bearable.

It would take a certain amount of precaution to operate any one of them without some aided cooling. The GTX 850M should fare better than the more powerful GTX 860M in this regard, but it won't perform as well as the latter. Also, due to the less adequate power supply provided for the Inspiron 14 7447, the CPU or GPU will never reach power saturation levels needed to keep them running at peak capacity (thereby being a overheating deterrent).

Also i saw some GTX970M's Notebooks from MSI. on the mall. Are they worth getting now?

Definitely. Even if the newer GM2xx chips release next year, the GTX 970M will still be a serious contender.

Edit: Additionals. Corrections. Grammar check.

-- edited by Nelko on Dec 20 2014, 03:06 PM
  • @nelko - thanks for the information! will look into those tomorrow. about sa Lenovo laptops, all I can say is that if ever na may yoga series dito sa pinas, U and Y series (some of them) eh you might want to check their forums first. flex/G series are good daw.

na curious lang ako kung may ganun gpu level ba sa laptop like gtx760. di ako bibili nun ang mahal, 150k and up. lol
  • Hi, meron pa bang budget 14in+ laptop(less 30k) na user upgradable yung RAM and HDD? Buying this for my mom, so pure office/internet apps lang ang purpose. User upgradeable(via bottom covers) sana since ang plan ko is lagyan nalang ng ssd and upgrade RAM.

-- edited by kein on Dec 21 2014, 10:20 PM

Who's Online

708 active users within the last minute, 371 members, 337 guests.
Our newest member is shxvneqc
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

Active Want to Buys