>

User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

Unified Laptop/Notebook/Netbook Users Thread Part 2 (NO Trading Allowed)

• ^ Pili ka lang sa taas. May mga suggestions na naman si Nelko. Just pick your poison.
  • edgierax:

According to Lenovo, there are two branch models of the Flex 2 14. The first is the vanilla 14, and the second is the 14D. Both, according to the product whitesheets, use backlit keyboards. You can toggle the backlight using Fn + F9. If this does not work, you should have your Flex 2 14 replaced.

The 4 GB version of the GeForce GT 840M is rarely heard of, but it is real. It is a favorite of Lenovo in their products with full HD screens. The extra 2 GB over the 2 GB version of the 840M doesn't exactly provide better performance -- it does, however, allow the 840M to work with higher resolutions or more textures ad-hoc.

thesilencer:

Some of my recommendations to davidabuel may still be relevant today. For your ease of mind, I've extrapolated their specs and added them in-quote for your perusal and have trimmed (and expanded) the selection based on your intended usage.

- ASUS X452CP (042H, Core i3 3217U, 4 GB RAM, Radeon HD 8530M 1 GB, 500 GB HD, 14-in. HD)
    - ASUS X452LD (237H, Core i3 4030U, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GT 820M 1 GB, 500 GB HD, 14-in. HD)
    - Dell Inspiron 14 3000 Series (3442, Core i3 4005U, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GT 820M 1 GB, 500 GB HD, 14-in. HD)
    - Dell Inspiron 14R 4000 Series (4050, Core i3 2350M, 4 GB RAM, Radeon HD 6470M 1 GB, 640 GB HD, 14-in. HD)
    - HP Pavilion Touchsmart 14 (04TX / 05TX / 07TX, Core i3 3110M, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GT 820M 1 GB, 500 GB HD, 14-in. HD TS)
    - Lenovo IdeaPad G4070 (5941, Core i5 4210U, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4400, 500 GB HD, 14-in. HD)
    - Lenovo IdeaPad G410 (5940, Core i3 4000M, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4600, 500 GB HD, 14-in. HD)
    - MSI Classic CR42 (3045, Core i3 4000M, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4600, 500 GB HD, 14-in. HD)
    - Toshiba Satellite C40 (209E, Core i3 4005U, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4400, 500 GB HD, 14-in. HD)

ajgremarin:

I believe there is a boutique at SM North Annex that allows you to customize your laptop with a scratchproof protective coat. Its rubbery texture also increases your grip on your notebook and affords a little impact protection from small falling objects such as knives, keys, and computer mice.

Unfortunately, the custom job only covers the lid of the laptop and very little else. And it is costly.

kim070504:

If you mean the 35 grand mark, then you could always gun for Acer, unless you have reservations against the brand. ASUS and Lenovo began the shift toward built-in batteries since the start of the Ultrabook initiative. Very few of their units use removable batteries.

Acer, though quite understandably adopting the built-in battery for their high-end Ultrabook units, is still for the most part a removable battery manufacturer. This is because the manufacturer rakes in profit from making spare parts as well.

Edit: Grammar check. 3217U

-- edited by Nelko on Nov 22 2014, 03:56 PM
  • Hi Nelko, thanks for the info,

but personally, would you consider getting a laptop w/ a sealed battery? I dunno if its just me but I'm kinda getting paranoid getting one. I'm just having a hard time looking for comparable laptop specs wise w/in the budget.
  • kim070504:

I apologize if this post runs long. I feel these points must be made for you and for those pondering if they should move to internal battery notebooks.

but personally, would you consider getting a laptop w/ a sealed battery? I dunno if its just me but I'm kinda getting paranoid getting one.

My first impression of built-in batteries were obvious: I knew the dangers of lithium ion technology and the implications of a failed battery to any consumer electronic product. I resented the fact that the move to internal battery systems were due to the popularity of the unibody MacBooks, thanks to the majority of their less informed connoisseurs.

At least for Apple, they charged at premiums which allowed them to provide a sufficient amount of quality with their battery systems. You knew that at some point the money you spent went to the manufacturing quality of the battery, minimizing the risk of failure due to defects.

However, we also do know that even with stringent quality protocols, there are loopholes. Apple was once the subject of scrutiny due to the case of the exploding battery and the phenomenon even spread to their premium notebooks.

At the advent of the Ultrabook initiative back in 2011, I was introduced to the appeal that the popular movement reserved for itself, thanks to the Acer Iconia W700. Some time after, despite my apprehensions, I bought for myself a Z400 which would eventually be my firsthand experience with internal battery systems.

Internal battery systems, while technically no different from the removable battery systems (besides the obvious facets), do have their quirks:

- Internal batteries drain continuously even when shut off - up to the point that it dies in about a week of non-use.
    - The non-encased internal batteries also radiate (or conduct, depending how close proximity it is to the rest of the system) heat more openly to the system.
    - They do not possess any management circuit of their own; they rely on the power management circuit of the notebook thereby introducing power management transparency but also vulnerability if the power management circuit itself fails.
    - They are removable, however; many manufacturers will void your warranty for doing so, even if it is advised to remove the battery if the notebook will not be used for more than three days.

For a while now, I've had less reservations against the idea, only to certain points. But reservations do remain, especially against use of polymer batteries when you're unable to visually inspect them for wear easily.

The following are the notebooks I own that use internal battery systems:

- ASUS X550LB
    - ASUS T100TA
    - ASUS G46VW
    - Lenovo Z400
    - MSI S20 v1

I've had no issues with any of them, although I have removed the batteries for the G46VW and the Z400 (voiding their warranties, of course) for long term storage. Every time I return to the Philippines, I do install the batteries again for charging and use. Like the removable batteries, the internal ones hold sufficient charge at about half their capacity for a good 6 to 8 months of storage.

The reasons to use of internal battery systems is diverse; but a main reason to use them is to reduce the thickness of the notebook. Encased batteries cost more, since some would require their own management circuits and plastic chassis. And with internal battery systems, there's little need to manufacture a surplus of spare batteries for replacement. Customers would need to send their units in for repacking.

Sadly, I cannot recommend trying such a notebook if it is your first. I would only advise such notebooks to veteran users who've had experience in maintaining their own notebooks. Experience with a removable battery will prompt you to reconsider your computing and maintenance habits when it comes to a new notebook sporting a battery you can't see or remove.

I'm just having a hard time looking for comparable laptop specs wise w/in the budget.

I completely understand your plight. Alas, it is not up to me to decide if the value of the notebook outweighs your obvious concerns.
  • I am about to sell my acer e5-411 with celeron n2940. I said it's already the perfect laptop for me because of its acceptable cpu, good screen, good design, good speaker, great battery life (because of the 7.5w tpd of the n2940). That's about just what i needed in a laptop. The only downside is that it has only 1 ram slot, that's why I'm selling it.

So, can anyone please help me to find a laptop very similar to the acer e5 that i described above with the standard 2 ram slots. Budget is not more than 23k. Thanks in advance.
  • bluet0ps:

Perhaps you should hold on to it while you don't have a notebook to replace it yet.

I'm helping someone looking for something similar only in her case it is more Bay Trail-T focused. It's been a while since this search started back in September and I'm really hoping to close it before November ends.

As I understand, most SoC-powered notebooks only carry 1 SODIMM slot as they're only able to support up to 8 GB RAM even though they are able to support two channels and up to DDR3 1600.

Perhaps IVB-based notebooks are the way to go for your needs.
  • kim070504:

During my search, I found an Acer Travelmate P256 that apparently has a Core i5 ULV CPU and a GT 820M in one 15.6-inch package. Ironically, this entry-level business grade notebook fits right within your budget.

Edit: Taking advantage of the double post for something useful. Waste not, want not.

-- edited by Nelko on Nov 22 2014, 10:22 PM
  • Hi sir nelko,
    I still have msi u200 and acer w4 as my windows based devices, and my office desktop pa pala.

The deal is closed, so i can't back out from it na. is there an I3 at my price range (23k)?

which is better in multitasking, amd e2-6110 or intel n2940?

-- edited by bluet0ps on Nov 23 2014, 12:48 AM
  • ^
    laptop: Acer (E5 471-51LB) 14\\\"|i5 4210u, 2gb, 500gb, No OS PHP 21990.00

not sure sa ram slot. sorry.

-- edited by dahwan on Nov 23 2014, 12:38 AM
  • dahwan ,
    thanks, paran may nakita rin ako nyan pero mas mataas na version, with w8, 1tb and 4gb ram na. 26,900. kinokonsider ko nga rin.
  • bluet0ps:

is there an I3 at my price range (23k)?

Most definitely, yes. At the lower end of the spectrum, there is:

- Acer Aspire E5-471 (33C1 / 339F / 33UB, Core i3 4030U, 2 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4400, 500 GB HD, 14-in. HD) -- complete with a bag; Linux OS

In addition to Dahwan's suggestion, there are also the 564B and 50QL SKUs.

But if you're considering a notebook at the 26 grand price point, perhaps a Transformer T100TA (or a T200TA for a slight performance boost) would suit your fancy?

which is better in multitasking, amd e2-6110 or intel n2940?

For multi-tasking, it's difficult to be certain. The quad-core N2940 is definitely clocked higher, but as for its performance per clock compared to the new Beemas, that's a different story altogether. If we were to compare to the older Bobcats, then I'd say the N2940 would be slightly faster, which would put it on par to an E2-6110 (being an A4 grade CPU).

The stripped-down nature of the N2940 means it's lacking features and instruction set support, things that the E2-6110 does support. The E2-6110 is also no power sipper that the N2940 is.
  • hi Sir Nelko!

Bought the Asusx550L. It's more than i expected when i tested it.

Now, i know that this is not in the thread but i think this would be my last seek for advice.

What is the best cooler i can buy for this bad ass?

thanks sir!
  • complete with a bag;

natawa ko dito sir nelko. haha!

i think pass ako sa t100 because it's very simular to my acer w4. t200 naman... let's see. but for the price of t200 di kaya mas ok ito:
    Acer E5-471P-36E6 14-inch Touch HD Intel Core i3-4005U/4GB/1TB/Windows 8.1 @27k
  • brycan:

Congratulations on your new notebook!

This would still be the thread for that kind of advice. From what I can recall of the underside of the ASUS X550LB, there's only so many intake grills underneath, and most would be situated toward the front of the notebook.

Therefore, to make any effort in inducing airflow inside the notebook, coolers with large fans would do (so that you should be able to position the intakes directly over the airflow), such as:

- DeepCool N1 or N30
    - ThermalTake Massive23s or Massive V20

If you would like to forego airflow inside the chassis and opt for creating some airflow externally, you could not go wrong with any dual or multi-fan option from coolers such as:

- DeepCool N2000, U PAL USB 3.0, Multi Core X6
    - Thermaltake Massive TM, Massive 14², or if you can find it, the Satellite

bluet0ps:

natawa ko dito sir nelko. haha!

:)

Well, it's a popular oversight for many new owners when they buy their first notebook. I've had a few experiences with people who remembered that they spent their entire savings on the notebook and forgot they needed to buy that cute pink mouse, the matching colored sleeve and bag from DigiBabe. It helps to get as many freebies in there as possible so that you wouldn't have to worry about the post-purchase expenditures.

but for the price of t200 di kaya mas ok ito:
    Acer E5-471P-36E6 14-inch Touch HD Intel Core i3-4005U/4GB/1TB/Windows 8.1 @27k

Most definitely, power-wise.

At 27.5 grand there's also an Aspire V3-471 notebook with a Core i5 ULV CPU, 4 GB RAM and a 1 TB HD as well. Battery capacity is lacking compared to your choice, however; pity, the model itself is meant for mobility.
  • What's the best laptop below 20k?

My sister sold her Asus T100 because the HDMI port got busted. The service center said that it's irreparable. So she needs a new one. Something cheaper.

Thanks.
  • Barusang:

The service center said that it's irreparable.

Sigh. Typical ASUS support. My regards for her loss.

What's the best laptop below 20k?

Define "best".

Is there anything that your sister is looking for in particular? How big does she want it to be? Does she want another convertible? A netbook or ultraportable? Is she planning to use the notebook for something specific?
  • Nelko:

Define "best".

Is there anything that your sister is looking for in particular? How big does she want it to be? Does she want another convertible? A netbook or ultraportable? Is she planning to use the notebook for something specific?

Mostly for document works, a liitle video editing, video projection.
    It doesn't have to be a convertible but she prefers a lightweight.
    She already has a Windows 8 license, if it matters.
  • Barusang:

Also, two more things: does she (or you) have any reservations against any brand in particular? We'll try to avoid including such options.

The last thing: does she prefer brand new or pre-owned?

Edit: Grammar check. Things. lol

-- edited by Nelko on Nov 23 2014, 10:28 PM
  • Nelko :

The brand doesn't matter.

She prefers brand new.
  • Barusang:

So let's see: something light, with at least the power level of a T100TA (or better if we can get it) for which she used as her presentation and workstation. So we'll be looking at the most 14-inch options and smaller. Business builds will be in priority, since they seem to fit her intended use.

OS optional, since she owns her own license. Or course, I would rather keep options with Windows 8 SL rather than those without (the pains of downloading the right drivers and installing them is too much of a hassle for a replacement unit).

At your price point, we can take a look at the following options:

- Acer TravelMate B115-M (C1YD, BT-M Celeron N2930, 2 GB RAM, IVB Intel HD Graphics, 500 GB HD, 11.6-in. HD, with HDMI but no VGA port, Win 8 SL) -- based on the quad-core technology that runs the T100TA; bluet0ps owns the dual-core version of this model
    - ASUS X451CA (036D, IVB Celeron 1007U, 2 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 2500, 500 GB HD, 14-in. HD, with HDMI but no VGA port, DOS) -- based off the mobile Ivy Bridge CPUs, so these are faster than the BT-M based CPUs
    - Dell Inspiron 14 N Variant (3421, IVB Celeron 1017U, 2 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 2500, 500 GB HD, 14-in. HD, with HDMI but no VGA ports, Win 8 SL) -- a ULV variant, that skims the performance difference between the Acer and ASUS but affords more efficient power consumption
    - Lenovo S10T (N/A, IVB Celeron 1017U, 4 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 2500, 500 GB HD, 11.6-in. HD TS, with HDMI but no VGA ports, Win 8 SL) -- battery leaves a lot to be desired, but the extra 2 GB RAM and the touchscreen may come in handy one day

All of may be searchable through the IFS section of this site. It would be prudent to visit the stores holding these in stock so as to allow your sister to get a feel for them. Good luck.
  • Since I can't procure a Dell 14R 5437(dat battery!), I think I can settle for Lenovo G410 with the following specs at 25k

Processor INTEL CORE i5 4200m
    OS DOS
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics Accelerator
    Display Panel 14' WXGA LED Display
    Memory 4GB DDRIII
    Hard Drive 500GB
    Battery 6-Cell

Sulit na kaya to? Btw, pwede pa bang ma upgrade ang memory neto?
  • Hi Nelko!

Thank you for all the info, its really helpful. I appreciate it.

I just bought an asus x550ln yesterday, its a steal at 30k brand new. I just happend to ask if they have a comparable laptop w/in the price range w/ a removable battery and i was told they have a promo for the said model.

BTW, I just want to ask, is your advise for brycan regarding cooler also applicable for my new notebook?

thanks in advance =)

-- edited by kim070504 on Nov 23 2014, 11:30 PM
  • Nelko,

Thank you very much sir for your time and effort.
    I'll look for those right away.
  • hi sir Nelko,

my previous message was not sent.. grrr..

I was thinking if my ASUS X550L is upgradeable like the internal hdd or any other hardware like video card or whatever?

Any ideas?

Cheers sir!
  • At 27.5 grand there's also an Aspire V3-471 notebook with a Core i5 ULV CPU, 4 GB RAM and a 1 TB HD as well.

thanks again for this, Nelko.

My sister sold her Asus T100 because the HDMI port got busted. The service center said that it's irreparable.

huh? I thought Asus is among the best in after sales. lucky me i didn't have to to send any of my past 3 or 4 asus laptops for service. i only had brought an acer and an msi laptop for service, but they fixed them no problem.

General Question for Touch Screen LAptops:
    1. Is having that additional input method really worth it?
    2. would the screen size matter in the usability of the touch input?
    3. after owning a touch screen lappy would you still choose a non-touch screen one in your next upgrade?

-- edited by bluet0ps on Nov 24 2014, 02:15 AM

Who's Online

206 active users within the last minute, 94 members, 112 guests.
Our newest member is eeeqournh
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

New Want to Buys

Active Items for Sale

Active Want to Buys