>

User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

Unified Laptop/Notebook/Netbook Users Thread Part 2 (NO Trading Allowed)

• @Nelko
    The Gigabyte U2442 runs much better compared to my HP Folio 13 (I guess due to the 8GB RAM and an i5)...though, I still prefer the dimensions of the Folio 13.

I haven't had the time to observe how well the battery goes yet.
  • mitsurugi:

Sweet, that's good to hear. Was your Folio the Sandy Bridge version?

Also, did you order this straight from Gigabyte?
  • thanks sa sagot nelko
    Repost lang

Tanong lang

Nahihirapan ako pumili kung gaming laptop or gaming desktop ba pipiliin ko. Alam ko malakas ang desktop kesa sa laptop hindi ko lang alam kung gano kalakas ang i7 (current gen) ng laptop vs i7 (current gen) desktop. May nabasa ako i7 laptop is equal or almost i3 desktop.
    Sa Video card naman ex. gtx770 laptop = gtx 660 desktop

tama ba ako? so kung bibili ako ng gaming laptop with i7 tapos gtx980m. sa desktop i3 and gtx770 ang equal niya which is bottleneck sa games (fps).

balak ko kasi magpagawa ng briefcase pc kung malaki ang difference between gaming laptop ang gaming desktop with the same specs.
  • Sweet, that's good to hear. Was your Folio the Sandy Bridge version?

I will have to check it.

Also, did you order this straight from Gigabyte?

Sort of.

I just noticed that it's keyboard wasn't locked...
  • mitsurugi:

Some intermediary in-between perhaps? I'm only asking because I can't seem to find a solid source for Gigabyte notebook products.

You mean the keyboard isn't clipped in correctly?
  • You mean the keyboard isn't clipped in correctly?

Either not cllipped or not locked-by-a-screw.

I tried pushing it but it wont clip on. If you have suggestions, I am all ears.

If I get desperate I might just try it my self. Not that it is impossible but I am not an expert on laptops/ultrabooks.
  • mitsurugi:

I do know that the keyboard frame is a bit loose, according to reviews, but I didn't think it came out that loose.

I don't think being an expert in notebooks has any bearing in the skill of opening up one.

Anyway, I'm planning on booking a training session with TPC for notebook repair, just to get me started in that direction.
  • Help po sa paghanap ng magandang quality na laptop. Entry level lang sana. 15k max budget. Preferably Asus or Lenovo.
  • diskonnected:

And what would are you planning to use this notebook for?

At your price point, you can only get bargain-level notebooks and convertibles. And at this level, there will be too few -- if any -- quality differences among the brands.

Entry-level begins closer to 40 grand, tax normalized.

Perhaps you're looking for pre-owned notebooks?
  • @Nelko
    For browsing and movie watching. I'm choosing between Asus X451M-VX027D or Asus X451CA-VX036D from P*Co*ner.
  • diskonnected:

The X451CA's IVB Celeron 1007U should offer more performance than the X451M's BT-M Celeron N2815 due to the former being based off Ivy Bridge architecture.

The ULV nature of the 1007U keeps it a dual-core CPU compared to non-ULV versions that would be stripped down quad-cores.

As always, memory is a good place to improve. Increasing the capacity will increase the ability to load more programs; increasing the speed should alleviate some of the sluggishness and the graphics performance of the Intel HD Graphics 2500.
  • Mas ok po ba na mataas ang cache kesa sa higher GHz? Just wondering. Napansin ko mas mataas ang speed ng N2815?

N2815 1M Cache, up to 2.13 GHz
    1007U 2M Cache, 1.50 GHz
  • diskonnected:

Cache is a good indicator for potentially good performance. It is no guarantee. And this is for the CPU itself -- it is not equal to System RAM.

For example:

1. N2930 1 MB 1.83 GHz - 2.16 GHz
    2. N2940 2 MB 1.83 GHz - 2.25 GHz
    3. 1007U 2 MB 1.5 GHz

Both 2 and 3 are dual-core. Both 2 and 3 have the same Cache capacity. 2 is clocked higher than 3. But both 2 and 3 perform at about the same level. Ivy Bridge requires only 1.5 GHz to perform at par with a boosted 2.25 GHz Bay Trail-M. But 2 outperforms 1.

Therefore the architecture is more of a certainty that the CPU will perform better.

Edit: Edited for more clarity.

-- edited by Nelko on Nov 27 2014, 09:33 PM
  • diskonnected,
    though I'm not an expert on this, i dont bother much about the clockspeed. based on my experience i just serch my cpu here:
    <click here for link>

I look for the rating and then compare it to my previous one. there i would have an idea on how quick the procie would fair.

like yung comparison mo na:
    N2815 1M Cache, up to 2.13 GHz
    1007U 2M Cache, 1.50 GHz
    malayo ang rating nung 2, masmabilis yung 1007u. pero kung mapapansin mo yung TPD masmatipid sas kuryente yung n2815
  • @all

Sirs, pa suggest naman ng laptop. Gagamitin ko mainly for coding, and a little bit of gaming na din siguro (dota 2, fifa15).

Budget is < 30k. Also i-credit card ko rin po.
  • Hi, balak ko kasi sanang bumili ng laptop mainly for gaming, yung makakapag run pa din ng games at mid-high settings for the next 2 years or so.

Eto ang choices ko:
    Lenovo Y50 (eto yung pinakagusto ko)
    MSi GP60 2PE-i7181
    Asus ROG GL551JM-DH71

Ano ang pinaka-okay dito? And san ako pwedeng makabili on installment (i think pwede sa Villman)? Although most likely hindi ko pa sya mabibili agad this year, hintayin ko muna tumaas ang credit limit ko. Hopefully next year bumaba na ng konti ang prices.

-- edited by jacobson on Nov 28 2014, 11:40 AM
  • Hi, balak ko kasi sanang bumili ng laptop mainly for gaming, yung makakapag run pa din ng games at mid-high settings for the next 2 years or so.

Eto ang choices ko:
    Lenovo Y50 (eto yung pinakagusto ko)
    MSi GP60 2PE-i7181
    Asus ROG GL551JM-DH71

Ano ang pinaka-okay dito? And san ako pwedeng makabili on installment (i think pwede sa Villman)? Although most likely hindi ko pa sya mabibili agad this year, hintayin ko muna tumaas ang credit limit ko. Hopefully next year bumaba na ng konti ang prices.

I'm an MSI fan. but I'd go for either the Lenovo Y50 or the Asus GL551. the GP60 is too weak for any real gaming.
  • ok ba ito for 41k?

15.6"
    1920x1080 reso
    i7-4510u
    8gb RAM
    GT840m
    1tb hdd
    non-removable 4cell batt

lenovo z50
  • check niyo ito:

External Image

bakit iba yung resolution kapag sa device manager? or sa ibang menu window / options?

1080p yung screen ng laptop
  • Hi Sir Nelko and everyone! I'm not very fluent in computer specs so I need your advice, please. I'm planning to buy a 13.3- or 14-inch laptop for school work and basic computing. My choices are:

Acer v3-371
    Intel Core i5-4210u up to 2.70 GHz
    4GB Dual Channel of DD3L
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    1TB 2.5 inch 5400 RPM
    48 Wh 3220 mAh 15.2 V 4-cell Li-ion battery pack

Asus TP300LD-DW012H
    Intel Core i5 4210u 1.70GH
    nVidia GeForce 820m 2GB VRAM
    4GB DDR3
    500GB HDD 5400 RPM
    3Cells 50 Whrs Polymer Battery

Lenovo Flex 14 5941-2863
    4th Gen Intel Core i5-4200U (1.60GHz 1600MHz 3MB)
    2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT820M
    4GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
    500GB 5400 RPM
    standard 4-cell battery (45 wh)

I know they have pretty similar specs and they're quite close in price range as well (30-39k). I'm not a gamer. I don't do heavy photo or video editing either. I will use the computer for basic browsing (web research and writing), school work (documents, presentations, etc.), and entertainment (streaming videos, etc.). So I just want the computer that works best for these purposes, has a relatively long battery life, and would not break my back while I'm commuting to and from work and school.

I like that Lenovo has a removable battery (I use my current laptop like a desktop when I'm home). I like Asus because of its very small charger. Acer's larger storage doesn't really have that much impact for me because 500GB is more than enough for me. I like it though because it's the lightest among the three.

Sorry if I'm overthinking everything, and thanks in advance, guys!
  • @Nelko
    Haha, if this was a desktop or probably a rackmount server, I would do it but since I never had the training in laptop servicing, I don't wanna risk.

I happened to have passed by Gilmore earlier, I had it checked a JDM and that guy there seems to know what he was doing.

Upon checking, we found that the (I actually forgot what is called) plastic mount for the keyboard tray where the screws were supposed to lock was broken. Two of them. A superglue was used. However, the third one broke when he was about to mount them back.

I think this is one of the few expensive laptops to use plastic for the keyboard mount. I was expecting it to use some alloyed material.

It is now fixed, happily using it.

Overall, the U2442 is impressive. The battery, by far, was able to hold. Performance is breezy, I am thinking of doubling my memory modules from 8GB to 16GB if I can spare some dough by January.
  • @miatotl
    I will encourage you to take the Lenovo option if possible. An HP Folio is also a good pick for your purpose. I was able to get my HP Folio at 18k, brand new. A pretty good deal.

I never had any luck with Acer/Neo products. My friends who used to own any of these brands ended up cursing the brand, mortality rate of the units were like 80%.

The Asus products, on the other hand, mostly had problems with their hinges. This as of four years ago. Since then we never looked at any Asus laptop/notebook.

Those are my personal opinions based on what we experienced. It could just mere bad luck for a total of 30 of those products before.

Who's Online

553 active users within the last minute, 280 members, 273 guests.
Our newest member is ouiespnsa
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

New Items for Sale

New Want to Buys

Active Items for Sale

Active Want to Buys