>

User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

Unified Laptop/Notebook/Netbook Users Thread Part 2 (NO Trading Allowed)

• migsvill:

Hmm...your issue is a little bit more complicated to be solved with just a better processor.

Incidentally, there are two bottlenecks to Excel: the CPU and the hard drive (with RAM in a close third, since Excel is prone to memory leakage). When opening a heavily populated spreadsheet, the speed of the hard drive is just as effective as a fast CPU (the CPU splitting the opening task, reading, writing, and storing task among the available threads). A fast CPU and a normal hard drive won't improve your situation more than a fast hard drive and a normal CPU.

And then there's the software part: Excel itself has only just started using asychronous calculations for multicore / multithreaded computing with Excel 2010. This allows Excel to assign long winded functions to a separate thread for each to execute parallel processing. Multithreaded calculations (MTC) started with Excel 2007.

Also some functions cannot / do not make use of MTC. Functions that do not make use of MTC include pivottables and data functions.

Improvement across the board isn't based on how many cores / threads you have; it is based on how much Hz a single core can push. This is largely attributed to the greater majority of the software industry unable to completely adapt to native multithreaded programming.

In addition, Excel is still not heavily polished as an application. You might have better success in using separate solutions that can help you with data sorting and calculation within Excel, such as PowerPivot.

I have personally made my own HP workstation with an quad-threaded desktop CPU completely stall with Excel and LOOKUP formulas (unintentionally of course). These were solved by breaking down the more complex sheets into workbooks of their own and data linking them via external references.

So my own office powerhouse cannot handle my own project record bases and live tracking files in Excel (including the filter issue, especially in welding logs). This is a fact of life with Excel. A better CPU isn't going to eliminate the insane waiting time in opening, saving, or recalculating an entire Excel workbook.

However, if you are still adamant in upgrading to a better workhorse, I'd recommend a notebook with full powered mobile processors such as the Dell Inspiron 14 7000 Series (14-in.), ThinkPad Edge E440 (14-in.), and HP ProBook 400 (14-in.) -- or a professional workstation such as the MSI WS60/WT60 (15.6-in.) or Dell Precision M2800 (15.6-in.).
  • ^ Wow!... just wow!

@migsvill, I know some about Excel but not I'm not an expert. Just want to put in na baka hindi na kaya ng Excel yung ginagawa mo. Pag masyado malaki database mo baka need nyo na ng mas robust na application.
  • Grooveless:

Sorry for the lengthy read. I was venting out my frustrations with Excel and ended up churning out another novelette. :(
  • No apologies needed man. I was really in awe of your knowledge of the interplay between application and hardware. And like I said, mejo me alam ako sa Excel so when you said your Excel project crashed your computer, it was hard for me to imagine what you had in it plus the amount of work that went into developing it.
  • @Neiko

I just reinstalled windows 8.1 this is the current graphics card information just to let you have an idea

External Image

External Image
  • If I install the drivers using NVidia from dell that might give me something. I will post as soon as i'm done and this can be a benefit for everyone reading by the way
  • @ Nelko

Thank you very much for your comments. It made me rethink my choices so I browsed a few websites and even visited some concept stores in SM North Edsa and I found these 2 laptops:

Model Name: Aspire V5-132P (the blue one)
    Windows 8.1
    Intel Celeron 1019Y Dual-core (2 Core) 1 GHz
    29.5 cm (11.6") HD (1366 x 768) 16:9
    Intel HD Graphics with Shared Memory
    4 GB, DDR3L SDRAM
    500 GB HDD
    P20k

Inspiron 11 3000 Series 2-in-1 Laptop
    Windows 8.1
    Intel® Celeron® processor N2810 (1M Cache, 2.0 GHz)
    11.6 inch LED Backlit Touch IPS Display with Truelife, HD (1366 X 768)
    Intel® HD Graphics
    4GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx1)
    500GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    P25k

Again, I want a laptop that has a personality LOL. I know na mas maganda ang i3 processor pero hanggang saan ba ako malilimitahan ng Celeron in terms of using MS Office, web browsing, at online video streaming?

And by the way, medyo nakakainis na hiwalay palang binibili ang MS Office. Magpapa-install na lang siguro ako ng pirated. Hindi ko maatim na magbayad ng mahal para dun. Feeling ko dinadaya ako ng MS.

-- edited by gzople on Oct 21 2014, 12:35 AM
  • And by the way, medyo nakakainis na hiwalay palang binibili ang MS Office. Magpapa-install na lang siguro ako ng pirated. Hindi ko maatim na magbayad ng mahal para dun. Feeling ko dinadaya ako ng MS.

May mga free alternatives po sa MS Office like OpenOffice. Di ko lang alam kung ano pinaka-updated ngayon.
  • @audiophileusers

try mo po gumamit ng driver pack baka sakaling maayos yan.
  • audiophileusers:

If I install the drivers using NVidia from dell that might give me something. I will post as soon as i'm done and this can be a benefit for everyone reading by the way

Yes, that's it. Use the one from Dell written specifically for your model, even if Dell says it's for Windows 8 only. If a Windows 8.1 driver exists, download it but keep it for later (just in case the Windows 8 version does not work). If the Windows 8 driver works, Dell's update program will update that driver version sometime in the future, when you've updated to Windows 8.1 Update 1.

As for the screenshots, I'll check them later back home. Images (and image hosting sites) are blocked here at the office.

gzople:

If you're intending on light productivity work, either Celeron-powered ultraportable will work.

Despite their shared name, these two dual-core processors are based on two different architectures. The Celeron 1019Y is based on Ivy Bridge of the Core family; the N2810 is based on the Bay Trail-M of the Atom family. Therefore, even while the N2810 is clocked twice as much, the 1019Y leads slightly ahead in performance.

Also, because it is based on the Ivy Bridge, the 1019Y sports a richer feature set than the N2810, like supporting more RAM (though you're unlikely to take advantage of this due to technical limitations).

Style is subjective and widely open to taste, and it's your interpretation that matters. The tech scene is less about fashion when other facets -- such as function, utility and power -- matters.

Despite the affinity for current generation gadgeteers to lean toward touch-capability and portability, results for the local market are mixed. Ultrabooks are still rather new; the last revision to their specification was made during late 2013. Because of the high cost of adoption, it has not proliferated the gadget scene of the Philippines as much.

As for MS Office, free versions exist that perform just as well. OpenOffice (as pointed out by Grooveless) and LibreOffice work as good substitutes.

If you're looking for Ultraportables that offer a full Microsoft Office suite for free, a few models of the ASUS Transformer T200TA comes bundled with Office (365 or Student 2013). The T100TA -- if you can still find one -- always comes with Student 2013.

Oh and please refrain from discussing piracy here; it is against the forum rules to do so.

Edit: Grammar = 2; Me = 0.

-- edited by Nelko on Oct 21 2014, 01:15 PM
  • @Neiko

It did work. I installed a non OEM Version given by my vendor since i bought another one from them. I found out that they already ended support already for my E6410. I was able to install the drivers from the Windows Update. After installation it went fine but it went bonkers because sleep sucked A**. i read around via dell forum community and they pinpointed that the drivers from windows really suck and they provided another version which is nVIDIA 320.19 drivers that is more stable although it's an old driver but it's all good. Likewise to cut the story short. The BIOS updated all by itself and ruined something in between previously via windows 7. i downgraded to A09 to adapt all OS's that i install including linux. and re-installed from scratch. now it's already much stable. i will not install dell support application for this notebook just in case. But its already considered an old machine no need for dell support applications :))

Thank you so much for the support and pointing me to the right direction. I almost gave up. I literally recalled what happened and made me nuts :)))

-- edited by audiophileusers on Oct 23 2014, 12:57 AM
  • audiophileusers:

I'm glad it worked for you. Some are not that fortunate, especially with the cheaper Inspiron 15Rs.

Who's Online

414 active users within the last minute, 220 members, 194 guests.
Our newest member is rqfgdhgwll
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

Active Items for Sale

Active Want to Buys