Forum Topic

Need advice on Cloning a [Dead] Hard Drive

• Hello guys,

My old hard drive (about 5 years na) died last month. Nadedetect parin and the OS will booot kaso hanggang sa windows logo lang. After nun magrereset yung pc tas TB Infinity 2.0 na.

We\'ve finally saved up enough money to buy a replacement next week (an upgrade too). But I don\'t have the resources to do a new installation of the OS since we\'ve just moved recently. So nag-resort nalang ako sa cloning. I\'ve set my eyes on Clonezilla Live and GNU ddrescue but my question is, are there better disk recovery options out there; and how efficient will the cloning process be?

Btw, I\'m just a newbie in computer and tech stuff. c: Hoping to get a good response, thanks in advance. :)

-- edited by paulk45 on Oct 03 2015, 11:02 PM
  • cloning the 5 year old hard drive would be a tough one, it will be prone to errors. the best path for you to take is a fresh, undefiled clean-install of the operating system.

may internet ba kayo sa bahay? how about a flash drive, atleast 8gb? another working PC, or a friend with a good, working PC (laptop or desktop)? thats all the resources you\'ll ever need to pull this one off. ^_^
  • Yes may internet po kami, at may usb na 8gb. I\'m posting from my laptop right now. \'di rin po kasi ako marunong mag-install ng OS kasi tatay ko nag-install ng lahat ng bagay rito.

Ano po ba mga kailangan kong gawin at anu-anong mga ang kailangan ko resources para makagawa ng maayos na fresh install? Kasi kung kakayanin, baka yung mga personal files nalang yung ita-try kong ma-recover. Thanks for the reply :D
  • baka yung mga personal files nalang yung ita-try kong ma-recover

yup, actually this is rule-of-thumb na sa situation na ganito. I suppose every person who ever owned a PC ang dumaan na sa ganito atleast once in their computing lives :)

sa YouTube andaming tutorials sa pagi-install ng OS, from Linux, to Apple OS X, to traditional Windows. You can also download a complete OS off the internet, ranging from as small as 35mb (small Linux distros such as \'Slitaz\') to 5gb giants such as the latest Windows.

You will need another working PC such as the laptop you are using for the downloading of the OS, and for the creation of the usb key installer for the desktop. For the \"creation\" part, you will need another software (free to download) such as \"Rufus\".

And ofcourse, you will need the media para mag-\"burn\" ng installer for the OS, in this case the 8gb flash drive. Hindi na kasi uso sa ngayon yung ibu-burn mo pa sa DVD then duon ka magbu-boot para mag-install. I suppose your desktop ay hindi naman sobrang kalumaan na walang option sa BIOS ng motherboard para mag-boot sa USB key (although may paraan naman para duon, as long as may CDROM pa rin naman ang inyong desktop).

PC problems like these are opportunities for self-learning. Kaya consider yourself blessed. You need not always rely on your father to fix things for you na PC- related ^_^
  • Why clone when you\'re just trying to save old important files? The first thing you need to do is make your old hard drive as slave (secondary), just tell us if it\'s an IDE, SATA or a laptop hdd... You will have to attached the old drive to a working and stable pc/laptop to be able to access it and hopefully your data.
  • Sabi mo dead pero nadedetect p and nag boot pero nag hahang lng sa windows logo. Di nman yan dead hard drive if ganun. Baka naman hindi dead hard drive, baka corrupted system files lng.

Try booting in safe mode F8 usually during boot then select safe mode. Baka OS repair lng need nyan or just reformat and clean install os.
  • Yes may internet po kami, at may usb na 8gb.
    Search for how to install windows from USB or just winsetupUSB.
  • I\'m in the process of downloading the iso for windows 7. :) Yun lang naman po yung kailangan diba? Tas re-install nalang po ng programs.

You need not always rely on your father to fix things for you na PC- related ^_^

\'di na po namin kasama yung tatay ko HAHA #aw Thanks for the advice - I\'ll heed it. :)

Why clone when you\'re just trying to save old important files? The first thing you need to do is make your old hard drive as slave (secondary), just tell us if it\'s an IDE, SATA or a laptop hdd... You will have to attached the old drive to a working and stable pc/laptop to be able to access it and hopefully your data.

My HDD\'s using SATA. Currrently I\'m saving money to buy a cheap usb-sata adapter to connect my old HDD to my laptop or time allows, to my new HDD.

Baka naman hindi dead hard drive, baka corrupted system files lng. Try booting in safe mode F8 usually during boot then select safe mode.

Ayun salamat po. I haven\'t tried that one, natatakot kasi ako na baka lumala yung problem. Pero I\'ll try.

Salamat po sa mga replies. :D I\'m still saving money to buy an adapter to try and recover the files, but in the meantime I\'ll be creating the bootable USB (pag ginanahan na akong tapusin yung download, medyo busy pa kasi). I\'ll update nalang po

-- edited by paulk45 on Oct 05 2015, 06:40 AM
  • corrupted lang siguro kaasi sabi mo nga nag boboot pa at umaabot pa sa windows logo so possible na ang sira lang niyan eh OS tryu mo mag boot sa safemode at kung desidido ka na try mo yung \"MIRAY HDCLONE\" yun ang gamit ko for cloning hehe
  • corrupted lang siguro kaasi sabi mo nga nag boboot pa at umaabot pa sa windows logo so possible na ang sira lang niyan eh OS

Tinry ko po after I posted on the same day kaso \'di na nagb\'boot yung windows. :((( \'di ko na po it\'try mag-clone. Pag gagawa nalang ako ng backup for my new hdd that will be bough this weekend. Hopefully, marecover ko parin mga files pero nevertheless new installation nalang po gagawin ko.

Thank you everyone for your replies. :) Feel free to close this thread - I\'ll just make a new one if problems may arise.
  • *DEAD HARD DISK* di na ma-detect ng BIOS HD ko. Sino may alam maka recover ng files?
    kahit docking system di na madetect.
  • Same here po baka meron may kilala na makapag recover ng files from a "Dead Hard Drive" kindly contact me, urgent po sana thanks!

Contact Info: Florentino Cuevas | 09199590228 or 09270565011 | [email protected]