User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

TPC Linux Thread | Queries | Answers | Whatnot

• ^ I suggest used Debian. If your not comportable you can try CentOS which is base from RHEL.
  • @alpharomeo33
    nasa iyo yan kung saan ka confortable na distro ng Linux dun mo gawin, since ikaw ang mag su support nya.
    here is the list of some Linux equivalent ng mga Commercial

RHEL = CentOS, Scientific Linux, Scientific Linux CERN edition, Oracle
    Debian = Ubuntu, Linux Mint etc
  • @alpharomeo33:
    pero right now hindi ko alam kung ano maganda OS version ang gamitin. Maganda sana ang RHEL pero I think may subscrition ang downloading ng RHEL 6 (although I was under the impression na free and open source ang linux). Ang SLEX11 naman kelangan pa mag sign-in para lang maka download and I think malaki ang file download nun. Where as now I am left with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS which is the most convenient to get and I think mas madali ang setup for a server. Ano kaya sir suggestion mo? what Linus OS should I get? Our existing Linux OS is debian 5

Trabahong tamad ito pero since nabanggit mo na Debian na ang gamit, yun na ang ituloy mo para less hassle. Pero on a personal note, Slackware or derivatives work well as servers. Kasi very light sa resources. Kung Ubuntu naman, ease of use talaga. :-)
    It's up to you.

@all:
    Btw, I just found out that AMD's latest drivers work pretty well with both Debian 6 & Slackware 14. I'm using derivatives of both Linux. Hehe...
  • Hi Linux/UX admins

Asking for your inputs:

scenario: UX/Linux box, 8/more possible CPU core available for processes

one process in particular (lets call it process1) seems to utilize EXCLUSIVELY just 1 CPU core, IE: CPU1 is at 100% util and CPU2-CPU8 are well below threshold limit.

QUESTIONS:
    is there any sense on having your process utilize just 1 CPU core when there are 8 or so available?
    what are the implications of just letting process1 run till it finishes (pabayaan si CPU1 na 100% util hanggang matapos si process1)?
    Are devs known to create processes that are designed to utilize just 1 core?

TIA
  • remember: most applications are single threaded unless it was coded to utilized multiple threads.

especially for batch jobs, so if you know the dev of the process1, ask if he/she can optimize it to use multiple threads, otherwise SOL.

this is actually the same with Windows, the only problem with windows is that there's so much bloat that all cores are being utilized (by the bloat), and when you are watching task manager, you'll see that all cores 'seems' to be utilized.
  • remember: most applications are single threaded unless it was coded to utilized multiple threads.

@baratzki

thanks for the input sir, this makes a lot of sense. followup question lang:

lets say process1 is indeed single-threaded. Process1 runs, utilizing core1 fully (100%).

then there's another single-threaded process, lets call it process2, runs at the same time.

will it (process1) impact process2 and process2 will not run at all, or will it utilize another free core to its own?

thanks again Linux/UX folks!
  • ^

short answer, no. They shouldn't affect each other.

Who's Online

833 active users within the last minute, 479 members, 354 guests.
Our newest member is Miltonsing
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

New Want to Buys

Active Items for Sale

Active Want to Buys