Forum Topic

The Optical Disc burning thread: DVD±RWs and CD-RWs

• dami ko rin na burn na CD at DVD dati, I can still remember that I spent for about 5k pesos just for Blank DVD and its cases and also for some labeling things and can only store about 300GB-ish of data (total of burned discs) and pray that the data still holds on it after many years of storage. I did even do the "balutan ng kumot" techinque just like in tapes that my Dad do when storing tapes para hindi amagin.

ngayun naman I spent about 25k for a NAS and its HDD and its been going since a year now. Ngayun meron ako about 12TB drivese, Set three of 2TB in RAID-Z with parity for important files. And 2 x 4TB HDD as a single volume drives for miscellaneous stuff like anime, movies and music. Electricity is not a main concern of me since almost all the time, only 1 HDD is spinning while the rest is spin-down most of the time. Since 1 HDD is actually dedicated for automatic RSS downloads and other stuff, it only consumes around 16watts at average and tops to 34watts when all drive spins up and max CPU utilization.
  • There is (or was) a shop in Greenhills Virramall that used to sell Taiyo Yuden discs. They sold the generic TY discs or the ones with the JVC brand. I checked them if they were fake but the codes check out (TYG02) and they burn well at 8x speeds with very few errors. My memory is hazy but if I recall these TY discs were sold by CDR-King in some of their branches:

- Verbatim DVD+R 8x (YUDEN T02)
    - TDK DVD-R 8x (TYG02)

Note that the codes can be faked easily. I've seen TY codes on cheap DVD recordables sold at CD-R King and the scans of these discs were terrible, which obviously means they're fakes. If the burns are very good then they're likely legitimate.

@polka

I don't have a NAS but I do have two 4-bay external drives. One has 2 Tb x 4, the other has 4 Tb x 2 plus an old 1 Tb and 640 Gb drive.

-- edited by Peorth on Nov 08 2015, 06:03 PM
  • I can't find any threads here regarding Blu-ray Writers. Does anybody know where I can buy locally an internal model that has support for BDXL and M-disc?
  • kakaunti nalang ang DVD-r sa da king.
  • Guys, pwede dito ko na itanong to. Paano mag-print dun sa cd labels ng cdrking?

May label sila na piso isa lang, pero parang 1/2 lengthwise lang ng bond paper yung size ng sheet. 2 discs labels per sheet.

Kaso d ako makahanap or makagawa ng template na sasakto dun. Hindi kasi sya naka-align nung nagtry ako magprint using Nero.

Thanks
  • Buhayin ko itong thread na ito. haha

First time ko mag burn ulit ng optical disc in like 7 or 8 years? Naisip ko i-backup yung pinaka importanteng files namin for archival to M-Disc BD-Rs to be properly stored in a remote secured location. These will be supplementary to the local external HDD backups we already have. Investment na rin ito to protect our valuable data. Thought about cloud but there's the risk of down-times and getting hacked. Also considered using USB thumb drives but those can lose data if they don't receive power after several years and they can get lost easily and are difficult to properly label due to their diminutive size.

• I still have my BH16NS48, mostly used in watching bluray movies on PC.
    I haven't used it for archiving - ang hirap makahanap ng blank media.