Forum Topic

Help me choose between Intel i350 Lan Controller and Intel Pro 1000 MT

• I have read somewhere that Intel chipset Gigabit LAN Cards are better that other chipset. So I have been scouting here in Cebu but to no avail....no local PC store is selling this....So, someone directed me to tipidpc and now I found these two:

Intel i350 Lan Controller (PCIE)- dual port which is priced at 3,450.00, while

Intel Pro 1000 MT dual port is priced at P 1,100.00....

Now, aside from price difference, which of the two should I buy....Note, my purpose is to have a faster LAN speed than my present on-board LAN (although also gigabit)...

Both of the above LAN Cards are dual ports, and I also have an extra gigabit-port on my motherboard, could I connect 3 LAN cables (2 on the dual port LAN and the other to my motherboard)? Would there be compatibility issues?
  • Now, aside from price difference, which of the two should I buy....Note, my purpose is to have a faster LAN speed than my present on-board LAN (although also gigabit)...

Sir if you will just use it at home I would suggest you get Intel Pro 1000 MT dual port.There\'s really no big difference if you use the same 1GBe nic. If your main goal is faster lan then you have to dream of getting 10GBe cards.

Both of the above LAN Cards are dual ports, and I also have an extra gigabit-port on my motherboard, could I connect 3 LAN cables (2 on the dual port LAN and the other to my motherboard)? Would there be compatibility issues?

Yes you can connect 3 LAN or more depends on how many network devices you want to attach to your computer and depending on your configuration and usage.
    For compatibility issues, I\'m afraid that this is really hard to answer since you won\'t really notice compatibility unless you use the device. IT peeps always stay at a safer route by having the brand and model the same on each computer.