Forum Topic

Can I use a 19 V 4.74 A new adapter from 20V 4.5A original adpator

• Guys i need some advice

My original lenovo laptop charger is making noises and it needs to be replaced

I checked in the nearby mall to look for an original but i just found out some replacements (fake ones)

So i opt to buy from a legit computer store a Hunt-Key universal adaptor (rate 19V 4.74 Amperes) with one year warranty.

Can i use this safely with my laptop?

Thank you in advance.
  • It might work now, but it may cause system instability or worse, main board damage in the future.

I\'ve used a 19V adapter on a 20V laptop a few times, but only to charge the battery while the laptop is turned off.

I\'ve read the service manuals of a few laptops that have a 20V DC input, and they generally specify a usable voltage range of 19.5V - 21.0V for the AC adapter.

That 0.5V difference is important, especially if your laptop\'s battery is already dead.

-- edited by awakeruze on May 28 2015, 05:51 PM
  • it depends how the power board made. kung may schematics ka ng board, I can read it for you if its feasible to handle 20volts.

for safety, just use the right spec, kahit mataas yung amperage ok lang since laptop power adapters are usually switching power supplies, which it can dynamically adjust the amperage depends on needs.

-- edited by polka on May 28 2015, 06:29 PM
  • it should. if not, no harm will be done.
  • it will work pero undervoltage at unstable un system lalo pag nagload ng apps na malakas kumain ng cpu, mataas ang usage ng harddisk... either mag hang, bsod or shutdown...
  • Thank you guys for your comments po