Forum Topic

What\\\'s the Best Laptop I Could Get for 30k+ Budget?

• Hi guys, makikihingi lang po sana ng tulong at advice .. i\'m planning to buy kase a new laptop for 30k+ budget. I\'ll be using it for work stuff, some photo and video editing, music recording/production (mostly guitar), and mid gaming (enough na cguro yung marun yung battlefield 4 at low settings smoothly, or playable at medium). So basically, parang all-arounder laptop na sya.

I have 2 prospects already:

1.) Lenovo Z510

Processor :Intel Core i7-4702MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)
    Operating System :Windows 8.1
    Display :15.6-inch HD display (1366 x 768)
    Graphics :2GB Nvidia GeForce GT740M
    Memory :4GB Dual Channel DDR3L-1333 / 1600 MHz (2 SO-DIMM slots)
    Hard Disk Drive :1TB HDD 5400 RPM
    Weight (Net) :4.85 lbs
    Sound :Stereo speakers with Dolby® Home Theater® certification
    Optical Drive :DVD reader/writer (dual layer)
    Connectors :2x USB 3.0
    1x USB 2.0
    HDMI
    2-in-1 card reader (SD/MMC)
    RJ45
    Combo Mic-In and headphone (stereo)
    Communications :Bluetooth® 4.0 Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
    Keyboard :Backlit AccuType keyboard

2.) Asus X550LN

Processor: •Intel® Core i7-4500U processor (4 MB L3 cache, 1.80 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.0 GHz, DDR3 1600 MHz, 15W) supporting Intel 64 architecture, Intel Smart Cache
    Memory: •8GB DDR3
    Storage: •1TB
    Optical Disk Drive: •Yes
    Graphics: •NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 840M 2GB GDDR3
    Network: •Integrated 802.11 b/g/n
    •Built-in Bluetooth
    •LAN
    Display: •15.6\" 16:9 HD (1366x768)
    Physical: •Dimensions: 38.0 x 2.51 x 2.48 ~3.17 cm (WxDxH) (w/ 4cell battery)
    •Weight: 2.3 kg
    Audio: •Yes
    Battery: •4-Cell Polymer Battery
    Camera: •HD
    Ports:
    •1 x COMBO audio jack
    •1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
    •2 x USB 3.0 port(s)
    •1 x USB 2.0 port(s)
    •1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
    •1 x HDMI

Anyone own any of these laptops? Well, actually nagresearch na din tlga ko .. (videocards, processors, etc) and I think solve n nman ako sa performance nila.

But my other concern really is about sa build and hardware quality. Alin kaya tlga ang masOK sa kanila? yung masmatibay, yung mashndi nagooverheat, mas reliable. mapa sa brand, product line, or yung model mismo. Are they\'re good, or maybe may masmarerecommend pa kayong better for my budget?

Btw, durability is really a concern for me on laptops. The more durable the better. If only there\'s a Thinkpad nga lang na at least i5 then nka nvidia 740m or 840m eh, i\'ll get that one. Since from what i\'ve heard they\'re durable line of laptops daw talaga. Pero yun nga, gusto ko rin kase yung pede rin pang midrange gaming. hehe.

Maraming salamat po in advance sa sasagot .. :)

-- edited by klaide92 on Oct 31 2014, 01:29 AM
  • Hmm...

The rule of thumb with reliability is that the higher up you go, the more reliable it is, barring the differences between manufacturers\' practices and inclinations. Ditto with quality. Any notebook at the budget, entry, and mid-level tiers was shipped with some cost cuts somewhere and more often so than with high and enthusiast-level notebooks.

Reliability and heat management do not always come hand in hand. It\'s about as trivial as heat management is with quality. A notebook can be considered reliable because despite constant heat cycling, it hasn\'t failed. Similarly, a notebook that stays rather cool is not essentially more reliable than the other that runs hotter.

It is much more fitting to accept that all manufacturers aim to keep their notebooks durability as high as possible. Abuse and neglect, as well as short-sighted preparations (insufficient care), in part of the user will render whatever durability was reserved as null and void. This includes constantly running notebooks at room temperatures exceeding the widely accepted average: 24 degrees Celsius or 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Apple notebooks, for instance, are designed to operate in rooms with no more than 35 degrees Celsius or 95 degrees Fahrenheit ambient temperature.

Regardless, the ASUS X550LN will run cooler due to the incorporated IceCool Technology, which is nothing more than a design to keep the hottest components at the rear of the notebook and with little conductivity toward the front (giving the impression that there is no overheating occurring). Of course, this means that without metal parts at the front of the notebook, it is more likely to flex with enough pressure.

The Z510 will run hotter, as is expected of a notebook that is essentially much thinner than the X550LN. But Lenovo, of course, is more reliable and with a more prominent after-market support in the Philippines than any other brand, having adopted many practices from the IBM PC manufacturing arm. Also, unlike their Taiwanese counterparts, Lenovo is not as quick to replace their lines with refreshes (they have begun doing so with their budget and entry level notebooks, however), meaning notebook parts are available for much longer than others.

As for your point about ThinkPads and mid-level gaming, there are a few that can. The only reason why they do not apply here is because such models are twice your budget, leading back to the first point.
  • Hi Sir Melko, wow .. Okay, thanks for that one. Very informative indeed. I think i\'m learning a lot hehehe, I appreciate it. For now .. Well I think I just can\'t go wrong with either of the two. You\'re right, if I really want to maximize the reliabilty of the laptop I will buy I definitely have to spend more for the high end models. Which I can\'t .. hehe. So just be it. It\'s still also about my proper handling, care, and maintenance though. I\'m just excited, and i\'m nearly good to go.

Thanks again .. :)
  • You\'re welcome. Also consider that between both your choices, the Lenovo Z510 is more likely to perform great as a desktop replacement notebook, while the Asus X550LN can perform as a makeshift mobile workstation.

The MQ makes for a great computing powerhouse, but it offers less in the way of mobility due to its power consumption. The U reduces power consumption at the expense of some performance, but at least you won\'t need to keep scouting for a power outlet while on the go.

The 840M is definitely better than a 740M; otherwise, both are in the upper echelon of the mid-tier graphics solutions. Although the performance difference between them isn\'t great, adopting the newer Maxwell graphics solution could do wonders for conserving power consumption.