Forum Topic

Asus restore and recovery partition

• Good day mga ka-tpc. Tanong ko lang kung anong difference ng dalawang partition ng asus

Recovery partition = 900mb
    Restore partition = 20.01 GB

hindi ko po kasi ma-access yung restore factory setting gamit ang F9. Gusto ko po sana ulit sya mapagana kasi bumabagal na yung laptop ko.
    ASUS X550 po yung laptop ko

-- edited by zhouyu on Sep 21 2014, 04:43 PM
  • The reason why you can\'t access the built-in recovery using the default recovery keystroke is because the partitions are mis-aligned.

Of the 6 Windows 8 books I own, 5 of these exhibited this issue right out of the box. One of them is an ASUS X550LA.

It\'s a sickness of most Windows 8 notebooks as soon as they are shipped from the factory. Now I don\'t know why this happens. Creating a recovery USB / SD Card and running a full restore process from there and OEM re-imaging seems to fix this for all platforms.

The first partition was probably created after updating to Windows 8.1. Otherwise, it\'s a Windows 8 OS refresh partition. Like Windows 8, 8.1 is capable of creating a recovery partition for itself, but this one will be properly aligned after 8.1 is successfully installed.

The second partition is from the OEM, and it is capable of restoring your C: partition up to its specified size. A full restore option, however, can modify and restore all drives and partitions up to factory defaults. That means removing any partitions and data that weren\'t there before the OEM image was made.

The ASUS X550 has a recovery software built in called ASUS Recovery (Backtracker if you bought a Western SKU). It should allow you to build recover DVDs or just 1 32 GB recovery USB drive. Use these to restore to factory defaults; they will most likely re-align the partitions so that the recovery keystroke will work again.

I would have recommended using Windows 8\'s own restore feature (it\'s in PC Settings under Update and Restore; or you can hold Shift and then click the Restart option from the Power button to boot into Advanced Startup mode), but sadly I don\'t know which recovery partition it will point to. I\'m hoping it would be targeting the 20 GB partition but after seeing Microsoft\'s track record with Windows 8.1 mishaps, I\'m doubtful.

Sorry for the long reply.
  • No worries sir Nelko, and thanks for a very informative reply. Tingin ko po hindi ko na magagawa yung sinasabi nyo at hindi na din mapopoint ng OS yung recovery. Ang story po kasi ng HDD ko ay naging unallocated ang buong drive then na recover ko yung ilan sa mga partitions, buti nalang yung OS, RECOVERY, and RESTORE partition ay nakuha ko pa pero naging NTFS file system silang lahat kaya naaaccess ko yung RECOVERY and RESTORE partition like opening a normal drive. I tried using DISKPART command to set the ID of each partition para maging OEM partition and RECOVERY partition ulit pero when i tried using the F9 key to boot from ASUS recovery, nothing happens, nagtutuloy pa dn po sya sa pagstartup ng OS.

I searched about windows boot manager and may sinasabi dun about bcdedit to point out each partition pero hindi ako sure kung tama ang tinitignan ko na way para mapagana ulit yung F9 recovery.

Also, nagsearch ako ng way para mapagana ang recovery and restore partition gamit ang usb flashdrive. I found one recovery tool that was made by a forum member pero hindi ko mapaboot. I dont know kung sa pag split ko ng install.wim yung naging problema kasi the requires FAT32 formatted flash drive but it only allows a maximum size of 4GB per file kaso yung install.wim ko ay 10GB.

Help naman po dyan sa mga nakakaalam. Maraming salamat po
  • May nakakaalam po ba pano magset ng partitions sa tamang functions nila?

Gusto ko po kasi mapagana yung F9 recovery partition ko pero pag nagpress ako ng F9 pag on ng laptop walang nangyayari. nagsetid po ako gamit ang diskpart command at naging recovery partition yung 20.01GB at OEM partition yung 300MB pero ayaw pa din gumana
  • Up
  • Up
  • Up
  • Up
  • up