Forum Topic

GTX 980 and 970 Maxwell Discussion

• \"For those that were hoping to see two products that would obliterate the GTX 780 series this launch will be a bit of a bummer. Performance wise you’ll see roughly the same numbers for the 970, and performance increases up-to say 10~20% with the 980 compared to a Titan Black. But hey now, both cards do offer a nice performance bump over the last generation products and as such are interesting for those that need to upgrade but aren’t on a 780 or higher series product. The cards will have plenty of horsepower under the hood for today’s games, and they are excellent 2560x1440 resolution products armed with the finest game quality settings and even AA levels. A massive benefit is the lower power consumption, though that alone would obviously not justify an upgrade from the 780 series, but less heat is testimony to this and provides better clock frequencies and higher overclocking results. We consider the GeForce GTX 970 and 980 to be a first run in the new high-end performance cards. It is very likely we’ll see a Ti or even Titan version somewhere down the road. The Maxwell architecture is very sound and proves it can deliver big-time whilst remaining in line power consumption, heat and noise wise. Both cards obviously are recommended if you are still on an up-to say GTX 770 or lower product series graphics card.

In the upcoming weeks the GeForce GTX 970 and 980 will start showing in the stores in good quantities, there will be many custom board partner products out as well, be sure to keep checking Guru3D.com for all them reviews. Overall, the GTX 970 is very nice and the price level will make this the most popular card to get, the GTX 980 is absolutely gorgeous in performance but is priced too far away from the 970 to make real sense. However pricing aside, I am impressed, as the cards both took me by pleasant surprise. In upcoming articles we\'ll deep-dive more into the new features, there was either no time or support drivers wise to test them out just yet. But be on the lookout for MFAA, I am very excited about that one.\" - Guru3d

-- edited by tailhook on Sep 19 2014, 11:26 AM
  • \"The performance of the GeForce GTX 980 is impressive, but doesn\'t quite mix-up the high end market as some people might have thought it would a year or so ago. My experiences gaming with the GTX 980 proved it was the best single GPU graphics card you can get today; better than the GTX 780 Ti, better than the Titan Black, and better than the Radeon R9 290X. Benchmarks and real-world game play proved that to be true: the GTX 980 was as much as 15% faster than the R9 290X and was only beaten by the AMD flagship card in one of our six games. The GTX 780 Ti falls into the same path as the R9 290X - faster in only a single competition (Skyrim) against the newest member of the GeForce family.\" - PCPer.com
  • To synthesize the results into a few sentences, we would say that the 980 is doing very well for its price. It’s not leapfrogging over the 780 and 780 Ti, but Nvidia indicates that it’s not supposed to anyway. It dominates the GTX 680, but that card is also two years old and discontinued, so the difference is not unexpected or likely to change buying habits. The R9 290X, meanwhile, is hitting $430, while the not-much-slower 290 can be had for as little as $340. And you can pick up a 780 Ti for $560. So the GTX 980\'s price at launch is going to be a bit of a hurdle for Nvidia.

Performance in Metro: Last Light has also vastly improved. (We run that benchmark with “Advanced PhysX” enabled, indicating that Nvidia has made some optimizations there. Further testing is needed.) Loyal Radeon fans will probably not be swayed to switch camps, at least on the basis of pure performance. Hitman in particular does not appear to favor the Green Team.

We were fortunate enough to obtain a second GTX 980, so we decided to set them up in SLI, at the same resolution of 2560x1600. Here, the differences are more distinct. We’ve honed the comparison down to the most competitive cards that we have SLI/CF benchmarks for. (Unfortunately, we do not have a second GTX 680 in hand at this time. But judging by its single-card performance, it\'s very unlikely to suddenly pull ahead.) For this special occasion, we brought in the Radeon R9 295X2, which has two 290X GPUs on one card and has been retailing lately for about a thousand bucks.
    GTX 980 GTX 780 GTX 780 Ti R9 295X2
    Tomb Raider 66 45 56 50
    Metro: Last Light 70 52 53 48
    Batman: Arkham Origins 131 122 143 90
    Hitman: Absolution 77 74 79 79
    Unigine Valley 80 72 87 41
    Unigine Heaven 73 60 77 65
    3DMark Firestrike 17,490 14,336 16,830 15,656

(best scores bolded)

While a solo 980 GTX is already a respectable competitor for the price, its success is more pronounced when we add a second card—as is the gap between it and the 780 Ti. It still continues to best the GTX 780, getting us over 60 FPS in each game with all visual effects cranked up. That\'s an ideal threshold. It also looks like Nvidia\'s claim of 40 percent improved CUDA core performance may not be happening consistently. Future driver releases should reveal if this is a matter of software optimization, or if it\'s a limitation in hardware. Or just a random cosmic anomaly. - Maximumpc.com
  • I want to see OC vs OC ng 780 Ti vs 980 before I decide to upgrade (again)!

All the reviews I\'ve seen compare the reference kasi which is clocked super low (875 MHz) to the 980!

I can\'t wait for the non reference models and see how much higher this card can go if the base models can hit 1400 on air!

I also hope a TI version come out! If they do then I wait for that until I upgrade from my 780 Ti HOF

By the way, here\'s a link to all the reviews:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1513723/various-nvidia-gtx-980-970-reviews/0_20

FYI: EVGAs own Kingpin just broke the 2k barrier with a reference card using LN2

http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-game24-evga-kngpn-tin-break-new-records_150660

-- edited by mark_thaddeus on Sep 19 2014, 12:16 PM

-- edited by mark_thaddeus on Sep 19 2014, 12:22 PM
  • Guys, let\'s unify our discussions in one thread to help the TPC admin in maintaining the forums

Thanks

NVIDIA Maxwell - GeForce 700 / 900 <click here for link>
  • To me, GeForce GTX 980 strikes as the best reference-design graphics card that has been launched in a long time. NVIDIA has successfully addressed the most important challenge in today\'s GPU design, which is power consumption.
    From a purely performance standpoint, we find the GeForce GTX 980 exceeding the GeForce GTX 780 Ti by 7%, which doesn\'t look so huge, but then you have to consider that GM204 has nearly 2 billion fewer transistors, and about 50% lower rated TDP, than the latter. Something tells us that the GM204 won\'t be the biggest chip NVIDIA will design on this architecture. Compared to AMD\'s Radeon R9 290X, we see a large performance gap, that is up to 20% at 1920x1080, but shrinks to 10% at higher resolutions. This makes GTX 980 an excellent choice for beyond-HD gaming, but for 4K you should still have two cards running in SLI.

When looking at performance, you also have to consider power consumption. Nowadays power consumption is the limiting factor for GPU performance, because heat and noise follow power consumption, and you can only cool so much heat in a graphics card, and at the same time have to try to keep it as quiet as possible. We\'ve got a first glimpse of Maxwell\'s superior energy efficiency with the GTX 750 Ti it debuted with, and NVIDIA has successfully managed to bring these improvements to their high-end product. GTX 980 uses only 156 W on average in our power consumption tests, which is incredibly low for a card in this performance class. AMD\'s recently released \"Tonga\" GPU, based on their latest technology, needs 50 W more power, yet delivers roughly half the performance, only. Unlike AMD, NVIDIA has also improved non-gaming power consumption of their board, which will be important for productivity users who run their PC all day.

These improvements in power consumption have also enabled NVIDIA to reduce noise levels of their card considerably, making gaming on it a quiet experience. With 34 dBA, the card is very quiet for its performance class, but I still see some headroom to reduce noise some more, which is something that board partners will certainly capitalize on.
    Overclocking on our sample worked extremely well in terms of frequencies. We could increase GPU clock by 20%, which is higher than most launch samples we\'ve tested before. However, due to NVIDIA\'s power capping and thermal protection (80°C), this translates into less real-life performance than expected. Compared to the best manually overclocked GTX 780 Ti we\'ve reviewed, real-life performance is roughly on par. NVIDIA does give you some controls in their driver to improve overclocking performance, namely +25% power limit and up to 94°C thermal limit. I also expect additional performance improvements with custom boards, once board partners figure out all the magic performance dials. It\'s also good to see Samsung memory chips used, which, as expected reach roughly 2 GHz maximum clock in our testing, definitely better than chips from Elpida.

With GTX 980, NVIDIA is also introducing several new software features. The first is DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution), which is basically SuperSampling (running the game at higher resolution), combined with a high-quality gaussian filter that improves the quality of the downscaled image that goes to your monitor. This feature can be useful for older or less demanding titles, to get some extra image quality out of the game, but for some of the more recent AAA titles, the performance hit is just too big, remember, the game is actually running at 4K resolution. The next innovation is MFAA, which is an evolution of NVIDIA\'s TXAA anti-aliasing algorithm, that promises near 4x MSAA quality at only 2xAA performance hit. Together with G-Sync, this shows that NVIDIA not only delivers good hardware, but their software department also has a better track-record in backing up its products with stable software, and usable new features. NVIDIA has also stated that GTX 980 and 970 \"are DirectX 12 cards\", even though the DirectX 12 specification isn\'t finalized yet. Time will have to show whether NVIDIA\'s support will cover all features or only a subset.

Finally, pricing! GeForce GTX 980 will retail around $550, and GTX 970 clocks in around $330. Both prices are quite reasonable and lower than I expected, going by NVIDIA\'s recent past. At this price point, GTX 980 beats AMD\'s Radeon R9 290X in everything: price/performance, absolute performance, performance per Watt, power consumption, heat, noise. The only thing R9 290X has going for it is its lower price, which I find hardly convincing, especially with GTX 970 being cheaper and faster. GTX 970 at $330 is a steal, really. It is not that much slower than GTX 980, still beats AMD\'s R9 290X, with better pricing, and brings all the amazing power consumption improvements of GTX 980. Simply put, GTX 980 is the premium product to GTX 970, and you\'ll have to pay for that. NVIDIA has declared GTX 780 Ti, GTX 780 and GTX 770 end-of-life, which means you might be able to find those cards at discounted prices. Personally I wouldn\'t upgrade from anything more recent than GTX 680, but users of older cards should definitely look at NVIDIA\'s new products. Oh, and AMD seems fucked. -TechPowerUp
  • probably in the 28k range na naman itong 980. sino kayang seller ang magka supply kaagad
  • Zotac GTX 980 Reference

Zotac GTX 980 AMP Extreme

-- edited by bryan14c on Sep 19 2014, 01:11 PM

• Zotac GTX 970, AMP Omega, AMP Extreme have same coolers above

-- edited by bryan14c on Sep 19 2014, 01:23 PM
  • nice ^
  • planning to get a 970 soon. what brand has the fastest factory overclock?
  • bakit puro zotac yan? o.O hahahaha

oh eto saktong sakto malamig ang gabi...

*winkwink

-- edited by SivitriExMachina on Sep 20 2014, 04:15 AM
  • Give me a price range for both products.
  • Sana hindi mag-overpricing yung mga retailers natin dito.
  • Oo nga eh, gusto ko na mag pre-order, pero wag sana sobrang mahal :(
  • redundant thread. post here instead <click here for link>