Forum Topic

Survive without an Antivirus

• @particleX

*yup nakakapaggames ako, and my pc suffers to much not because of games but with the softwares that is use(simultaneously) like photoshop, netbeans, etc..kaya ndi ako gumgamit ng antivirus kasi lalo ndi ako makapagmultitask,my readable ram is just 3gb

*why would you remove a rootkit if you can avoid it at the beginning? there are so many tuts on how to remove rootkit manually, last resort mo nalang ung antivirus or system restore if no choice na talaga pero malabong umabot pa sa point na ganun

-- edited by xtrap029 on Sep 11 2014, 05:27 PM
  • \"If you can avoid it at the beginning\" - yun nga Rootkits leave very little traces of their activity compared to your \"ampaw\" USB viruses, and paano mo mga makikita if wala kang means of checking

Kung gusto mo may isesend akong 0day sayo since kaya mo naman pala magremove without antimalware

sigh system mo naman yan and TPC is a free community, wag mo lang i advocate yan
  • didn\'t read my post?

last resort mo nalang ung antivirus or system restore
  • Ikaw ata ang hindi nagiintindi ng posts since hindi mo nirereply yung questions ko

Sige goodluck on your \"malware-free\" PC
  • *Yup, i just want you to know the reason why i am eager with this belief, would you be happy if after a year or half a year, tnry mo iscan yung pc mo and the antivirus didn\'t detected a thing, the only thing na nadetect lang is the cr*cks that i used for installing a software that i cant afford, btw the last antivirus that i used is updated(malwarebytes), i installed it before i upgrade my pc to higher version to make myself sure that my ways are effective and then i uninstalled it :D
  • Obviously, you don\'t know how viruses/malware works.

Yung iba hindi na kailangan ng execution mo. Yung iba pag pasok mo pa lang ng USB eh naexecute na. Yung iba pag click mo pa lang ng website eh naexecute na.

Hindi mo maiiwasan yan unless gawin mong sandboxed ang PC mo.
  • ^ Tama ka dyan sir every virus has a different way to destroy your PC ang mas malala pa ay kung Pati bios ng Mobo dinamay
  • wag mo connect sa internet, bawal usb and external drives. only install legit software from dvd\'s. ayos ka na nyan. hindi naman bigla tutubo lang yung mga un

This.
  • Tanungin mo si snowden hahaha joke lang... ayaw mo bumagal PC mo mag SSD ka subukan mo kahit konti lang memory ng PC mo.
  • Virus free for 3 years
    Tip lang, pag magiinstall ng programs tignan nyo yung mga naka check na mga toolbars or kung ano man, kung wala piliin niyo yung custom installation at wag yung express para kayo mismo makapili,sa kailangan niyo.

anti spyware/bloatware tip yan. since viruses spread differently than spyware/bloatware that tip is not very useful against viruses
  • Malware-free for years, XP days pa. I never use any antivirus/malware for my own laptop. Same lang ang ginagawa sa mga tips dito.

Using XP, I don\'t click on My Computer and access my drives from there. I use keyboard shortcut Window key + E or right-click My Computer then click on Explore. In Win7, I always use the navigation panel to access folders.

In Folder options, enabled ang Show hidden files, folders and drives. And sometimes unchecked ang Hide protected operating system files.

During XP days, I disabled the drive autorun sa copy ko ng installer. Sa newer Win OS, I just click on the X on the upper-right corner.

I only install software downloaded from direct sources, and I also use the custom installation para walang bloatware.

As for websites na may malware, madali naman iwasan yung mga alanganing sites. just surf the good and known ones.

Dami na nagpagawa sa akin ng computer na may anti-virus/malware, both paid and free, minsan 2 or even 3 antivirus at the same time, pero pasok pa din ng malware. dito lang ako nagda-download ng anti-malware like combofix, malwarebytes and adwcleaner.

I don\'t use deepfreeze and the like, I don\'t see the need. Hindi rin ako naglalagay ng standard/limited account.
  • Wanna get rid of AVs?

ditch your Windoze computer and use a Mac instead. - end of story.
  • ^ Agree
    dito alam kung ano pinaglalaban ng mag to kung ayaw ng antivirus sa hindi microsoft OS ang gamitin
  • base sa title kala ko spam thread ulit to
  • Windows systems be it an ancient XP system or a brand new 8.1 machine needs an AV program period. specially in network connected systems. network worms like nimda, sircam, etc. need not an attachment or installation to propagate, once you connected to the net if your system is unpatched tendency is you will get infected.

kaya ako kapag nagfoformat and all, i rarely plug the ethernet cable before or after the installation, i make it to a point to atleast install the latest service pack (previously downloaded, to patch security holes specifically network related worms, etc.) and a competent AV software to have atleast a layer of protection before i connect it to the wild.

it\'s preposterous to say \"shitty antivirus\" because the majority of the users are well just ordinary users; it\'s only a fraction na kagaya natin na nakakaintindi and all on how to do such but then again, even if the user has the ability and knowhow to do so e would rather do work in his PC rather than channel time and resources to detect and combat viruses and malware, this is the job for AV programs, not all of them are resource hogs per se. just match the program accordingly to your hardware. plus if you say RAM is lacking, memory is dirt cheap nowadays, for old systems a used DDR1 module e para ka lang bumili ng isang kaha na malboro or isang full meal.

bottom line this is moot and academic, if the TS wanted to do this well it\'s his system or business at stake.

best practice dictates to install an AV software at the very least why bother to do it (using a PC without AV) even if you have the technical skills and all for what? to prove a point na mas magaling ka sa mga gumawa ng AV software and you can survive without one, maybe its just sheer luck combined with best practices in internet browsing and security pero we cannot do everything on our own.

Wanna get rid of AVs?

ditch your Windoze computer and use a Mac instead. - end of story.

this.. if sasabihin na walang pangbili ng mac kasi daw mahal, take the alternative road. build a hackintosh or maybe the machine you are using right now is compatible and give OS X a try. it\'s not that hard the switch from Windows to OS X. heck i even have 2 systems at work 1 Windows, 1 Mac. sanayan lang sa commands and all.

-- edited by angelopatrick on Sep 12 2014, 04:27 PM
  • specially in network connected systems. network worms like nimda, sircam, etc. need not an attachment or installation to propagate, once you connected to the net if your system is unpatched tendency is you will get infected.

to each his own na lang, iba-ba naman setup natin sa bahay man or sa office.

another tip pa pala is to let your os automatically update or notify you of updates.

to all, huwag mangbully and ipilit ang opinyon... those are just opinions until you give all of us facts.
  • those are just opinions until you give all of us facts.
    google... :P

anyway, marami naman na nagpoint out -- it will be *impossible* to have a \"usefull\" windows PC without an antivirus, why? < read the other post...

to summarize:
    * you can get infected by just visiting a website -- unless na wala kang binibisitang website, or sobrang piling pili ang website na binibisita mo (that lessens the \"usefulness\" of the PC, so that depicts the definition of a useful windows PC).
    * you can get infected by just inserting a flash drive -- well, there are mitigating factors, but still it\'s a possibility
    * and the best one -- you can get infected by just connecting to a network -- quite known and already fixed by Microsoft, but we\'ll never know if there\'s another exploitable bug that will trigger this again (hopefully not)

so there you have it, in other words, you can have a windows PC survive without an AV by not using it.