Forum Topic

Car 101: Tips and FAQ Thread

• Taga presyo ng Meguiars dito sa Pinas. X3 to x4 ang SRP. I\'d raather buy 1 gallong ng Optimum Car Wax.
  • bookmarked

very informative, thanks sir dm for compiling these information
  • Meguiar\'s recently launched this in USA. Will hit retail stores there in December. Hope it reaches our shores next year.

sana nga, but alternatively pwede purchase nalang from Amazon then via JohnnyAir (not sure lang kung inaaccept nila yung mga ganitong product), considering na taga presyo ng mga Meguiar\'s product dito.
  • ^

hindi ata pumapayag yung ibang courier mag ship ng ganyan especially pag flammable yung product

anyway, yung $8 Meguairs ko na interior detailer sells here for Php 650 to 700. roughly X2 ng srp

if consistent yung patong ng distributor, the $10 dollar paint protect bottle should sell for less than php 1k here.
    mura na yun i think since once or twice a year ka lang mag-a-apply
  • question... currently wala akong fog lamps. ok lang ba na HID or LED yung kukunin ko kahit na halogen yung headlights ko ? magkaiba naman ang wirings nyan diba ? or advisable ba yung ganyang combo or dapat halogen fog lamps nalang din ? thanks.
  • ^Bulb lang ba need mo or pati housing? The bulb will depend on the housing. If reflector type housing, then halogen. If projector type housing, pwedeng halogen or HID. It does not need to match your headlights.
  • Color Temperature

Basically when light is emitted it is viewed as different colors. The smaller the value, in Kelvin, the “warmer” the light and conversely a higher number would indicate “cooler” light.

Your warmer colors, color temperature around 3000K will come from your standard halogen headlights and appear to be yellow in color. Above 4000K you are getting into HID headlight bulb territory. Values between 4000K and 5000K will trend from yellow to bright white. At 5000K you will have almost perfect white light. At 6000K you will start seeing a blue tint to the white light. Once you reach 8000K the light will be a distinct blue. At 10,000K the light appears to have a blue green tint. Once you reach 12,000K the tint becomes purple.

For the longest time, fog lights have been popular with yellow tinted light. With that said, you may find that a very well performing fog light can be around 3000K or less, and use standard halogen bulbs.

Color Temperature of Popular Halogen Bulbs

Osram Fog Breaker* (For Off-Road Use only)
    2600K (Yellow)
    +200% more yellow
    +60% more light on the road

Bosch All Weather
    2800K (Yellow)

Bosch All Weather Plus
    2900K (Yellow)

Osram All Season Super
    3200K (Selective Yellow)
    +30% more light on the road

Osram Night Breaker Plus
    3500K/3600K (depends on bulb type, e.g. H4 = 3600K, H7 = 3500K)
    +90% more light on the road
    +35m longer beam
    +10% more white

Philips X-treme Vision
    3350K (Yellowish)
    +100% more light on the road
    +35m longer beam

Osram Night Breaker Unlimited
    3300K~3900K (depends on bulb type, e.g. H4 = 3900K, H7 = 3600K)
    +110% more light on the road
    +35m/+40m longer beam (depends on bulb type, e.g. H4 = +35m, H7 = +40m)
    +20% more white

Philips X-treme Vision +130
    +130% more light on the road
    +45m longer beam

Color Temperature of Popular HID Bulbs

-- edited by dm1179 on Nov 30 2014, 02:25 PM

• Buying A Pressure Washer

A pressure washer connects to your garden hose to deliver more cleaning power than you can get from a hose alone. It also connects to a spray gun and extension wand that delivers a high-powered stream of water when the trigger is activated. You don\'t want to buy a pressure washer that\'s more powerful than you need, because it just adds to the weight and cost. However, if you buy one that\'s too inexpensive, you can end up quickly wearing it out.

If your main use is for washing your car, you can simply get a light-duty model. If you plan to do some heavy cleaning, a higher pressure model will be more suited.

Brands to Consider

Bosch (Aquatak) - German brand, popular in UK and Europe.
    Makita (Aquamak) - Japan brand, trusted manufacturer of power tools.
    Karcher - German brand, specializes in cleaning equipment, popular in USA.
    Nilfisk - Denmark brand, specializes in cleaning equipment, popular in Europe.
    Skil - a lower division of Bosch.

How to compare models?

The true test of a pressure washer is measured in Cleaning Units (CU). Imagine two streams of water under the same amount of pressure. The first stream contains twice the water as the second. As a result, it will clean twice as fast. Calculate the CU by simply multiplying the PSI times the GPM.

CU = PSI x GPM

*PSI (Pounds per Square Inch)
    Water pressure is commonly measured in PSI. The PSI is necessary to break the chemical bond between the surface and the stain. The stronger the chemical bond – the more pressure you’ll need to remove it.

*Gallons Per Minute (GPM)
    Water flow is measured in GPM. The larger the GPM, the more surface area a pressure washer can clean.

-- edited by dm1179 on Nov 28 2014, 11:43 AM
  • ^meron ba kayo sir na recommended brand/model ng pressure washer na around 2-4k lang?
  • meron ba kayo sir na recommended brand/model ng pressure washer na around 2-4k lang?

Abang ka na lang ng sale. last Sept, nag-sale sa Handyman, 40% off ang Bosch pressure washer.

Bosch Model AQT 33-10

Orig Price: P7,428.00
    Discounted Price: P4,456.80
  • Somebody from tsikot.com bought a Skil 0760 pressure washer at P3,200 from Goldpeak in Blumentritt. Hanap ka na lang ng review.

• awwts

-- edited by unciano4O4 on Nov 28 2014, 12:46 PM
  • awwtss uli

-- edited by unciano4O4 on Nov 28 2014, 12:47 PM
  • may concern ako regarding PSI, yung mga nasa heavy duty ba na lakas eh hindi delikado sa paint ng car? or sa ibang parts? thanks
  • Many people think na mas mataas psi ng washer mas ok. That\'s untrue. Nakaka damage siya ng chrome and even yung undercoat seal sa chassis. Kung sa paint naman pag may maliit na chip or may gasgas the water itself is an abrasive. Best solution is to regulate pressure and stream. May nakita nga ako natuklap radiator na nagpalinis napabayad tuloy yung gas station for the damages.
  • Yes, you can adjust the water stream depending on what you are cleaning.

Example for Bosch Aquatak..

• Guide on tints naman sir dm1170. Planning to switch to VKool. I got free 3M tints sa casa. Opted for medium sa WS and super dark wrap around. Ang hirap makita ng side mirror pag naulan sa gabi
  • ^see page 1.
  • pano po ba ang tamang break-in ng bagong kotse? distance po ba? or hours ng tinakbo? or hours+distance na tuloy tuloy na takbo? thanks
  • ^Bulb lang ba need mo or pati housing? The bulb will depend on the housing. If reflector type housing, then halogen. If projector type housing, pwedeng halogen or HID. It does not need to match your headlights.

ah I see. needed din ng housing. thanks.

• Break-in Period

The main goal of breaking in an engine is to wear out the piston rings in your engine just enough so that the rings fit into the cylinder walls perfectly. A good fit will allow for an engine to achieve a better power (efficient combustion of gasoline) while consuming less oil. A more efficient combustion is also good for the environment as an efficient combustion leaves behind no atmospheric pollutants like carbon monoxide.

Manufacturing technology has improved so much over the years that the rings (and all the other engine parts) come off the assembly line fitting pretty well. As such, no special break-in is necessary for modern vehicles, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km may add to the performance, economy, and life of the vehicle.

Drive normally while observing the following precautions:

For the first 300 km:
    - Avoid hard braking or sudden stops.

For the first 800 km:
    - Do not tow a trailer.

For the first 1,000 km:
    - Do not race the engine. Do not drive at extremely high speeds. Max speed 80-90 km/hr.
    - Vary your speed frequently. Run the engine at moderate speed between 2,000 and 4,000 RPM.
    - Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
    - Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine RPM for extended periods of time.
    - Avoid full-throttle starts and sudden acceleration.
    - Do not drive continuously in low gears.

Do not change the oil until the schedules maintenance time. Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since these additives may prevent piston ring seating.

Note: Refer to owner\'s manual for specific instructions on breaking-in your new vehicle.

-- edited by dm1179 on Nov 28 2014, 10:06 PM
  • guys pls suggest. dont know if this ot but hopefully not.

my car insurance is about to expire this dec from people\'s. heard not so good things about them and experienced already that one time when i once claimed. so i plan to move to another insurance company, maybe MAPFRE.
    my concern is when i asked quotations from 2 diff sources, one is directly from their customer hotline, thru email and the other is from an in-house in Toyota.
    a. directly from the customer support, they quoted me for around 26k for Comprehensive Car Insurance + Acts of Nature, allowing me to get 785,000.00 FMV for LOSS AND DAMAGE w/ AON
    b. MAPFRE in-house from Toyota is around 22k same package. while it\'ll only let me get 680k for LOSS AND DAMAGE w/ AON

1. with that, im thinking to just get the package directly from the main branch (a) since 4k is i think not that big diff given the coverage and the value of my car just in case its stolen or damaged by nature?
    2. do you also guys get or apply full package of your car insurance like third party liabilities, property damage or just the compulsary tpl?

my car will just turn one year this dec so still noob about these things. thanks in advance guys.

-- edited by rushjudge on Nov 28 2014, 11:30 PM
  • @dm1179

Thank you very much sir! very informative. Currently Im on 100km odometer reading, I know now what to avoid for the succeeding milestones. Thanks!
  • 1. with that, im thinking to just get the package directly from the main branch (a) since 4k is i think not that big diff given the coverage and the value of my car just in case its stolen or damaged by nature?

Yes, that will be the better choice.

2. do you also guys get or apply full package of your car insurance like third party liabilities, property damage or just the compulsary tpl?

Property Damage is included in my car insurance. Voluntary TPL and cTPL are not. They are optional so up to you if you want to add.
  • hi. What would you guys recommend as the best all weather hid kelvin color? My car frequents commonwealth ave and the 6000k stock hid color is absorbed by the asphalt. For foglights I\'m sure the yellow would be the way to go for the low beam I don\'t know what is the best K to choose?
  • ^^4300k yellow
  • ^ IF i were to have HID... i\'ll go towards the yellow color temp. 6000K and up are worthless with asphalt+rain scenarios.
  • Bosch AQT 33-10

PHP3695 @ ACE SM Megamall
  • ^good price na yan. do they have Bosch AQT 35-12 or AQT 37-13 on sale, also?
  • ^

Not sure. Pero ung 3310 lang ang 50%.