User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

Some questions about a Media server

• Hello, I am planning on building a server for storage, backup, sharing and steaming movies into the TV through HDMI. The thing though is, my TV only supports a couple number of formats, and I was thinking if it were possible that the formats it doesnt recognize(like MKV) just be decoded by my media server, is it possible? and which component of the PC is it heavily reliant? Im reading in some places that the decoding is done by the CPU but that some VGA's of today have some dedicated hardware to do it. Pls enlighten me, thank you.
  • Hello, I am planning on building a server for storage, backup, sharing and steaming movies into the TV through HDMI.

Kung through HDMI, then network media player (NMT) tawag jan. No need to build. Just buy. Bumili ka na pwede lagyan ng HDD sa loob.

Marami sa IFS. Brands are Measy, Kaiboer, Xtreamer, atbp...
  • NMT seems to stand for Network Media Tank, not sure how different it is in terms of features compared to network media players. There are some newer media players now that run on Android (Android Media Players).

Advantage of stand-alone media players is that they consume a LOT LESS electricity than a PC (a very very basic PC may use at least 40-watts or higher, perhaps you can get a 25-watts or higher if you build around an Atom-based setup, but that is while idle). Media Players tend to use less than 10 watts even while doing their jobs (add another 5-10 watts if you plug in a 3.5-inch hard disk into the media player).

I think PopCorn Hour used to be one of the top-rated media players years ago, but as motion55 mentioned, the new media players practically offer similar features (check the exact specs to find out). For instance, KWorld (popular for their TV Box) has also released various media players. Then there are the generic Android media players (Google to find out). Some have external SATA connectivity while others are only via USB. Some of the more advanced media players may also allow you to browse the Internet (just connect a keyboard and mouse)
  • Hi, thanks for the inputs, while Network media players are cool, it has limits, like I said id like the media server to be able to backup via RAID(mirroring) using 2 HDDs but it seems this is not possible. One other question id like to ask is if network media players today are capable of downloading from http(direct links).
  • check the htpc build thread
  • just to remind that RAID is not intended for backups, just for redundancy :) kapag yun drives na nakuha mo eh coming from the same batch tas may defect, malaki chance na sabay bumigay yan. :) for cheap backups siguro dagdagan mo na din ng dvd writer yun htpc mo, para backup kaw sa rewritable na dvd :)
  • just to remind that RAID is not intended for backups, just for redundancy :) kapag yun drives na nakuha mo eh coming from the same batch tas may defect, malaki chance na sabay bumigay yan. :) for cheap backups siguro dagdagan mo na din ng dvd writer yun htpc mo, para backup kaw sa rewritable na dvd :)

thanks for enlightening me ;)

edit: what do you guys reckon with backing up data through HDD,SSD or CDs? which is the most durable?

-- edited by carl0s on Dec 11 2012, 08:42 PM
  • backing up data through HDD,SSD or CDs

(don't quote me on this...) HDDs are mechanical and thus may fail mechanically after certain period of time. SSDs have a limited read/write cycle (but based on what I read, they sometimes fail as "read-only" -- ie. when they are near the end of their lifetime, they can be read but cannot be written to anymore). CD/DVD - depending on quality, this may last from a few years to a few decades(?), but of course, prone to breakage or scratches (which then affect readability).

Who's Online

1041 active users within the last minute, 591 members, 450 guests.
Our newest member is DennisMoSy
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

Active Want to Buys