Forum Topic

Deepcool Z5 and Z9 comparison review

• I\'ve come up to a small review about these two budget TIM\'s, hope this helps our budget-conscious co-members in TPC.

I. Introduction

Deepcool has been a very popular system cooling manufacturer in the country after Artic Cooling, Tuniq and other manufacturers became dominant in the market. Deepcool was known to create high quality, high performance aftermarket coolers and accessories, but has really competitive price amongst other companies. They\'ve gone from high performance heatsink fans to high quality system fans and controllers. This review will compare two of their not-so-known TIMs or thermal greases.

We know how crucial a high-end system cooling is. Getting a huge tower-type cooler doesn\'t guarantee an improvement as for some factors, e.g. in CPU cooling, heat doesn\'t just transfer directly to the HSF base, it first goes through the gap in between the processor\'s IHS and the HSF base. A fact is that, gaps may contain air, which is known to have very low conductivity, thus will not transfer the heat efficiently going from the CPU to the HSF. This is where the significance of thermal compounds come in. It fills the gaps and conducts better than that of air to reduce thermal resistance and effectively transfer heat from one to another. Therefore, an aftermarket\'s cooling efficiency will also depend on how strong a certain thermal compound will conduct heat.

II. Features

Deepcool Z5<click here for link>

Features:

~Excellent thermal conductivity.
    ~Electrically non-conductive.
    ~Wide range of application temperature.

Specs:

~Thermal conductivity: >1.46 W/m-K (higher the better)
    ~Thermal resistance: <0.159&#8451;-in2/W (lower the better)
    ~Viscosity (solution thickness): 76cps
    ~Dielectric constant: >6

For P150 to P250 price range in the market, the Z5 looks just like a stock thermal compound but as per performance, if I\'d only get the chance to review other TIM\'s, it might be able to perform head to head with known TIMs such as the MX-2 and TX-2 from Artic Cooling and Tuniq respectively, which costs twice. As far as the thermal conductivity is concerned, doesn\'t much get to tie up with other aftermarket TIM\'s. Well, what do you expect from a low budget TIM? What\'s significant here is that for the same price of stock thermal compounds, you get the same for such aftermarket TIM. Plus, it takes multiple applications just before you empty one tube.

Deepcool Z9<click here for link>

Features (identical with Z5)

Specs:

~Thermal conductivity: >4 W/m-K
    ~Thermal impedance: <0.058&#8451;-in2/W
    ~Viscosity: 89.16cps
    ~Dielectric constant: >18.05

Looking at the specs, Z9 has pretty significant difference with the Z5. For the price range of P300-P350, which is more or less P100 difference from Z5\'s, thermal conductivity is up to par with the known TX-2 in papers though viscosity is far too high compared with the Z5 and is very noticeable during application (viscosity is the thickness of liquids). Dielectric constant (can be related with electric capacitance) is also a bit worrying as it might damage a board\'s electronics once it touches them, yet there\'s little chance it might happen if one knows what they are doing. It\'s quite irony that the features mentioned that it is non-conductive however Isopropyl alcohol (aka Isopropanol) has the same dielectric constant. Nonetheless, Z9 performs quite impressively than the Z5.

III. Test Setup

This will be the setup where the two TIMs will be tested as well as the methods applied during the test. Difference in performance will be more significant when processor is overclocked.

Phenom II 555 BE @4Ghz @1.44V Northbridge @2.6Ghz @1.25V
    Deepcool Ice Blade Pro 2-fan setup PWM mode
    2x2Gb Hyper-X DDR-1600 @1333Mhz
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum
    NZXT Lexa S Chassis
    Aerocool Strike-X 500W 80plus

Environment setup

Test was done in an non-air-conditioned room, during the wee hours of the morning. No room thermometers was used to measure accurate room temp during both tests, but results will be based on idle-to-load differences on the core.

Testing method

TIM\'s will be applied using the mutliple line method and spread using the HSF base. Z5 was left for 5-days before was replaced with Z9, and was not able to apply same curing time on the Z9 due to time restrictions, though Z9 was cured using hours of stress test to make sure the TIM spreads evenly, not to mention the TIM was heated using a blow drier during application since I found out that the Z9 solidifies on room temps or when exposed to cool air.

Intel Burn Test will be used to stress the cpu under 10 runs, temps maximum and minimum will be monitored thru HWmonitor. System will be left idle for 5 minutes after each test to check idle temps. Results will be gathered thru load-minus-idle method since room temperature is not consistent. Fan will be running on PWM mode, however will run under same fan speed during idle and load respectively.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
  • Testing and Results

Z5 test results

The Z5 was very easy to apply, either if you plan to use the spatula that comes with it or just apply-and-squeeze method.

It easily spreads throughout the IHS and fills the gaps.

<click here for link>

First in line is the Z5, with the fans running at 1383rpm on idle and 1516rpm on load, idles at 28C as pinned lowest and

37C as the highest temperature. A 9C difference from load to idle temperature.

This is how the Z5 looks like after HSF was unmounted. Same thickness as it was first applied days ago, seems like it never

solidifies over time, thus easy to maintain.
    IHS <click here for link>
    HSF base <click here for link>

Z9 test results

Application with the Z9 is not as easy as the Z5. As mentioned earlier, the Z9 solidifies as soon as it exits the tube and

gets exposed to air, thus, I have to use a blow dryer to heat it up a little bit before and after mounting the HSF. You

might tend to squeeze more during application as the solution is very thick and dense and is not, again, is not spreadable

using the provided spatula, i guess it was just for display.

<click here for link>

Though the test was done on the same time in the morning as the Z5, room temps might have been a little bit higher than

before, thus higher idle and motherboard temps. But that doesn\'t mean the Z9 will lose it\'s performance. According to the

results, the Z9 peaked 38C at 1510rpm but it stayed at 37C throughout the test, idles lowest at 31C but occassionally jumps

to 32C at 1394rpm. Leads us to the result of an impressive 6-7C idle-to-load difference --- a 2-3C lead from the Z5

considering it has not been through it\'s curing time yet.

Here was a shot of the Z9 when I first applied it and cured for 3 days, just before the tests were done. It solidified on

both ends after the curing and had a clay-like texture but not too dry.
    IHS <click here for link>
    HSF base <click here for link>

------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Conclusion

Though new to the aftermarket community, Deepcool was very impressive with their products not to mention that they produce

budget-friendly and bang-for-buck coolers and accessories. This review is aiming to raise awareness among budget modders,

like me, whose goal is a balance of efficiency and performance without throwing too much money. As we found out during this

review is just one of their amazing products that\'s surely a value for money. I just hope stocks were a bit more available

as not all major IT stores sell their products, some sells it at a significantly higher price than the SRP.

Summary:

Z5

Pros:
    ~Very easy to apply with or without using the spatula included
    ~Can be used for up to 7-9 applications depending on method
    ~No curing time needed, as the Z5 never solidifies overtime and fills up gaps instantly.
    ~less risks of electrical short circuit when accidentally tipped off the I/O

Cons:
    ~Availability

Z9

Pros:
    ~High conductivity, impressive idle-to-load difference
    ~Very affordable
    ~comes with a spatula

Cons:
    ~Difficult to apply
    ~included spatula is not useable with it
    ~has a curing time to give way for the TIM to spread evenly through heat
    ~high electrical conductivity (dielectric constant same with isopropyl alcohol), be careful not to spill some over

transistors and capacitors.

These test results are only limited comparison for the two TIMs. Results doesn\'t claim that the TIMs above are better than

other aftermarket TIMs. In addition, results may vary depending on the system used for the reviewed TIMs.

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to post or PM me if ever there is something that needs to be editted, I\'m open to all

opinions and suggestions, as well as entertaining questions.
  • Z9

Pros:
    ~High conductivity, impressive idle-to-load difference
    ~Very affordable
    ~comes with a spatula

Cons:
    ~Difficult to apply
    ~included spatula is not useable with it
    ~has a curing time to give way for the TIM to spread evenly through heat
    ~high electrical conductivity (dielectric constant same with isopropyl alcohol), be careful not to spill some over

bakit dito Electrically Non-Conductive <click here for link>
  • It\'s quite irony that the features mentioned that it is non-conductive however Isopropyl alcohol (aka Isopropanol) has the same dielectric constant. Nonetheless, Z9 performs quite impressively than the Z5.

details on Part II sir ^^

reference for dielectric constant ng isopropyl alcohol aka isopropanol <click here for link>
  • sorry bout the gaps, siguro dahil sa notepad na ginamit ko yan. anyway, naging mas madali naman basahin.
  • nice review! kudos for the reviewer
  • sir noobie question, how did you remove the heatsink?
    nagtwist pa ba kayo ng unti or you can pull it off like the stock hsf?

nice review btw.
  • @eletista

thanks for viewing.

Hindi pwedeng hatakin nalang basta yung hsf sa sobrang adherence ng TIMs, kelangan itwist ng onti bago maalis sa pagkakadikit. otherwise pag binigla mo hatak, posibleng sumama pati yung procie.
  • otherwise pag binigla mo hatak, posibleng sumama pati yung procie.

pag AMD platform need talaga i twist ung heatsink before lifting, pag intel OK lang. ^_^
  • ^^

+1
  • pag AMD platform need talaga i twist ung heatsink before lifting, pag intel OK lang. ^_^

tama, yung sa pc ko wala nang twist2x...hehehe...
  • dahil na rin siguro sa slightly concave yung ihs ng intel procies, then next is yung lock hindi katulad sa mga FPGA sockets
  • i recently replaced my more than 1 year old application of as5 (the last of it lol!) w/ z9...

and yeah, its a biatch to apply. had i known better, i would have also used a hair dryer too!

performance on my rig (unlocked athlon x3 440 ->x4 @3.4ghz stock vcore/ deepcool iceblade pro 1 fan) is better (1-2 deg c lower load temp) than the \"legendary\" as5 and much cheaper than the other branded tims available locally.

NICE REVIEW + GOOD BUY!

-- edited by dino on Aug 09 2012, 06:12 AM
  • NICE REVIEW + GOOD BUY!

Thanks ng marami for reading pafs ^^

will update it soon pag may time ako gamit naman si NH-D14 para malaman difference ng performance with mirror-polished base HSF\'s

i recently replaced my more than 1 year old application of as5

not that i doubt the results, pero napaisip tuloy ako paps kung baka kinulang lang sa linis yung cooler nyo hihihi.. grabe 1year..

but I really believe Z9 will perform better than the AS5 with heatpipe direct-touch based coolers.
  • i regularly clean the hsf and fan w / a hi-power blower and vacuum, but lately i noticed that temps were getting unusually high during heavy gaming...

so i decided to unmount the cooler and check the status of my tim. true enuf the old as5 was dry to the point that it was easy to remove the cooler.

normally its quite diificult to detach the cooler requiring sone amount of twisting and tugging especially on an amd cpu... hehe
  • eeek... double post

-- edited by dino on Aug 09 2012, 10:09 AM
  • maganda sana mareview ay deepcool z5 vs cdrking nano diamond.

believe it or not sir, bago ako first time gumamit ng Z5, galing ako sa nanodiamond. and I will never use nanodiamond again dahil nakakatakot. Temps jump from idle to 60C in an instant when doing stress test on current setup and increasing. plus nanodiamond is not recommended for long term use kase it bleads/leaks.

pero thanks for the suggestion sir, will look into posting some results here ^^
  • Nauna ko pong na-try ung nano-diamond. Ok lang sya simula pero after ilang minutes, tataas pa din ung temps, from boot (33c) to idle (43c~45c), (48c~50c) on load. Tapos di na sya bababa ng 43c.

Then sumubok ako ng z5 this week, on idle nasa 38c to 40c, and di sya lumalagpas ng 43c on load.

For 200 pesos, ok talaga yung z5.
  • hi buhayin ko lang yung tread.. ask ko lang kung my nagtry na ba dito gamiting yung z9 sa GPU?balak ko kasi lagyan yung r9 270x ko medyo my poblema kasi ako sa temp ng card ko. Tnx :)
  • Flashback to this old review :)

Not sure if this TIM is still available in the market though
  • the other day, i noticed the temps on my gtx 960 were getting unusually high, in the 79 deg c range. Unplugged the card and removed the cooler...

Lo and behold, the stock tim was so dried up the cooler was so easy to remove. Usually its very hard to detach a cooler requiring some twisting and turning. Likewise the manufacturer used so much tim it was all over the place, covering areas outside the gpu core.

Luckily i still have a little z9 left over, so applied just the right amount after cleaning all that dried goop on the chip.

After a couple of load and cool down cycles, temps are back down to 70 deg c on full load.

Yeah, i wonder were u can get more of this stuff?
  • Post deleted #11699846
  • @dino

I figured it's still available for P300. Still the same price 4 years ago. It still managed to put some good temps with my trusty Phenom II x4 B55 OC'd paired with the ND-H14 after 3 years of not reapplying. But time comes and things have to change for the better. I recently replaced it with a Tuniq TX2, but given the opportunity to get my hands on the Z9 again, I'll be more than glad to do a comparison on both TIMs. :)
  • Hi mga ka-PC Enthusiast, baka po may maka-tulong sakin. Naghahanap po ako ng tulong, mag-upgrade kasi ako ng procie, kaso hindi ako marunong talaga mag-disassemble/reassemble ng cpu (Kaibigan ko yung nag-assemble dati ng PC ko).

Kahit pinanood ko na yung mga vids sa youtube, natatakot talaga ako. Taga Makati lang ako, baka may malapit na pwede tumulong na magkabit ng procie saka mag-apply ng thermal paste? :(.
  • Hmm, deepcool z9 site says non conductive.. Please enlighten me. Tnx
  • Post deleted #12174810