Forum Topic

2.1 Speaker Issue, No Sound Right Satellite - Altec Lansing VS4121

• First of all, Happy New Year, TPC!

Would like to ask troubleshooting/repair advices about my speaker prob..

I bought an Altec Lansing VS4121 last April 2011 and it was working very good at the store when I tested it. I got home and set it up immediately to test it out again. I connected the 3.5mm jack fully to the female port on my laptop and there was no sound from right speaker:

I tried to loosen the 3.5mm jack and I can get intermittent sound from the right speaker. The laptop I was using is the ASUS x51r and is aging already during that time so I thought there was something wrong with the contacts inside the female port. I even brought it back to the store and indeed it was working well on their PC.

I endured with this condition until Dec 2011 when I got my new computer finally built. I\'m using the Quantum Wave-THX Audio Card that came with my MSI BigBang Xpower mobo:

I really thought everything will be fine since I thought I have isolated the issue already, BUT it was still doing the same thing. The jack needs to be re-plugged sometimes until I get both speakers to sound.

Is it possible that the circuitry inside the speaker was affected when it remained connected to my laptop for like 8 months? Any advice for troubleshooting/fix?

I just love my speakers, when they\'re working, the sound is orgasmic. :D

Waiting for your insights. TIA
  • i\'ve had an Altec Lansing ATP3 and an Altec Lansing AHS423.
    from experience, both of them suffered from the issues you currently experience.
    i think it\'s an Altec thing. :)
    got a Logitech speaker and never had any problems with it whatsoever.
  • kahit when you touch the connector (syempre you will get a humming sound) no right speaker sound/hum? if so then bka sa cable or 3.5mm connector nya.
  • @kendricsee
    Been thinking about that, too, after reading some testimonials of our fellow TPCers.. If Altec issue, sana mresolve ko pa hehe ano Logitech Speaker nyo, sir? What is the best 2.1 speakers you have had, sir?

@duleng
    I need to adjust it, sir, nakukuha sya after adjusting, di ko alam nga lang kng sa port, cable, or jack.. whew..

UPDATE: kng isaksak ko sya HEADSET PORT;

<click here for link>

ng casing (headset port is connected inside the internal pins ng Audio Card), more often than not, gumagana sya.. But the issue is still there.. -.-\'

-- edited by kralcccyu on Jan 03 2012, 02:47 AM
  • na aus na ba to.. same experience din sa VS4121.. ano ba dapat gawin ..?
  • yep, medyo adjust lang sa port at jack at wag na galawin.. gnun nlng cgro pra satin mga VS4121 users.. hanep nmn dynamic range at bass pag ok ung dalawang speaker.. kya pag.tiisan na..hehe
  • sana me nakaaus na nito at share naman sana nila kung ano ginawa nila sa speaker..
  • slowly insert the jack, sir.. atpos angat at all sides, kng saan gagana.. working na 2 speakers ko ngyun no problem na bsta wag lng galawin.. kng magigiba ulit, adjust lung..
  • recently nwala na tlga ang sound ng right satellite, di ko na ma.adjust tulad ng dati.. then i bought a new 3.5mm connector, gold plated binili ko at P150 sa ace hardware at yun gumana na tlga.. it turns out to be sira lng cgro ang connector.. when after more than a year kong pinagtiisan un ah.. hehe sana mkatulong..
  • same problem here
  • have you tried using a new 3.5mm connector, sir? hanggang ngayun, wala na talaga ang prob ko dito..

OFF TOPIC:
    dumagdag ang bass response with the gold plated connector I used, noticeably.. need to use the equalizer software ng sound drivers for adjustments and keep the bass dial at 8-9 o\'clock position.. everything else, ang danda.. whew, will not buy another speaker cgro for the next 5-10 years, i mean for replacement.. hehe very satisfied na talaga ako sa VS4121..
  • You will not use the forums to trade items or services, nor to post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes or solicitations of any kind.

-- edited by oweneighty on Oct 09 2015, 07:35 PM