>

User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

LED Lightbulbs - super efficient light bulbs

• Don't those things need a special kind of bulb to work with the heat?
    I've wanted to mod my kitchen hood because the bulbs we're 10W incans
    And there's one at each corner

The problem was the bulb sockets were an L-shaped ceramic and the hood intake gets hot.
    The LED may not live long enough unless I use the kind used in headlights

-- edited by darius76 on Apr 20 2015, 09:51 AM

-- edited by darius76 on Apr 20 2015, 09:50 AM
  • sorry wrong thread ko na post. deleting.

-- edited by darius76 on Apr 20 2015, 09:51 AM
  • Don't those things need a special kind of bulb to work with the heat?
    I've wanted to mod my kitchen hood because the bulbs we're 10W incans
    And there's one at each corner

The problem was the bulb sockets were an L-shaped ceramic and the hood intake gets hot.
    The LED may not live long enough unless I use the kind used in headlights

it depends. In my microwave the bulb appears to be within the airflow, the airflow is microwave cavity past the bulb to the fan to outside. This will expose it to hot air and steam yes. It might reduce the lifespan specially if you use the microwave for a long period often. So we'll have to wait and see.

Unlike a normal oven where the air is hotter than the food, in a microwave the food is usually hotter than the air and its diluted a lot because there's a fan. Use a microwave for a long time and stick a thermometer or even just place your hand near the exhaust. By that time the air passages would have equilibrated the temp so the exhaust air temp is a fair approximation of what the bulb faces

So unlike a range hood where concentrated hot air from say a stove top hit it, a microwave has diluted hot air. So in theory the temp would be less.

Of course this is only theory. The lesser amount of heat may still be enough to appreciably shorten the life in my case. So we have to test it for a long time to see if the LED lights will last. Why not try to replace your range hood's lights anyway and tell us how long it lasts.

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Apr 20 2015, 09:52 AM
  • if the microwave's LED light fails in a few months then I would have learned something. Its only 60 pesos worth of bulb

External Image
  • lolz. Remember the cheapo no name chinese LED I disassembled for my microwave? Well the location where its used used to have 4 incandescents. Then I replaced them with two 3w stark LED bulbs with e-14 to e27 converters. Then I replaced them with two 3w chinese LED's since the stark leds went somewhere else, the e-14 to e27 adaptors remain in reserve.

Now since one of the e-14 leds is in the microwave I bought one of the new model Omni 3w e-14 led bulb. Its not pointy and tall, but more rounded just like the e-27 omnis. Small criticism of omni is the plastic is shiny and pentel pen doesnt write too well on it. But anyway, its too bright now because branded LEDs are brighter. I had to unscrew the remaining chinese e-14 3w. I'll find some place else to put it
  • one more thing about the e-14 omni led. It works on an antique e-14 chandelier which is very VERY picky about what bulbs it accepts. If its not compatible it screws in but doesnt light up.

Ironic since e-14 omni CFL bulbs are not compatible. GE e-14 CFL sometimes compatible. Incandescent yes of course compatible. The chinese no name 3w led, not compatible
  • Nice proposition and projects. I'll find the photo of the bulb and post it.
    It's a weird L shaped thing.
  • just by using up the cheapo LED bulb for my microwave I was forced to buy an Omni e-14 LEd bulb and I discovered that 1. its brighter (no surprise there) and 2. found a solution to a problem I've been having for the past several years - whats an energy efficient bulb thats compatible with my picky chandeliers

and 3. I also learned how the bulb is made and 4. I also learned a little about how the microwave is built

Pang dagdag knowledge

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Apr 21 2015, 12:20 PM
  • Philips is easing some of the sticker shock that comes with buying an LED bulb. Today the manufacturer debuted a 60W-equivalent LED bulb that costs less than $5. Similar fixtures on the marketplace retail for more than double that amount.

If it's half the price, is it half the power? Yes and no. Cnet explains that the bulb puts out 800 lumens, which is on par with comparable LED bulbs. The drawback is that it has just a 10-year lifespan. That's "notably shorter" than other LEDs, which promise to shine bright for more than twenty years.

Even so, it's a great deal. The high up-front cost of LEDs has deterred many people from buying them, even if the bulbs save money in the long term compared to less efficient bulbs that are cheaper at the store. Getting the price down to $5 should speed LED adoption. Also, starting on May 1, Home Depot is selling two bulbs for the price of one. That should be enticing enough to shoppers who are looking for low-energy lighting alternatives at budget-friendly prices.

Source: Cnet

so around P225, sana ganyan din or cheaper if meron na dito
    ok na rin competitive na rin
    <click here for link>
  • @infoseeker

if tunay na 60W ang liwanag nya aba malakas yan at napa okay nyan and fair price na. san kaya pwede maka order nyan sir?

yong outdoor enclosure ko hindi ko pa mabilhan ng socket at LED bulb na maliit dami ko pa gawa =). In any case saan kaya meron shop dito sa pilipinas na mura ang tinda ng mga LED enclosure at LED bulb para dalhin ko na doon at don ako mag sususukat sa enclosure ko? yong halos ka presyo lang sa internet sana.

salamas

-- edited by constracticons on Apr 22 2015, 11:23 AM
  • if tunay na 60W ang liwanag nya aba malakas yan at napa okay nyan and fair price na.

Omni and GES have 800+ lumen/9w models. Omni costs 200 pesos. Maybe firefly too but not sure

san kaya pwede maka order nyan sir?

malamang US only yan for now. Phillips does sell LEd bulb in the phils, although not all of the models make it here like the the fancy award winning models which are more expensive. But we can hope. Phillips and GE bulbs in the philippines are rather expensive compared to other brands.
  • In any case saan kaya meron shop dito sa pilipinas na mura ang tinda ng mga LED enclosure at LED bulb para dalhin ko na doon at don ako mag sususukat sa enclosure ko? yong halos ka presyo lang sa internet sana.

Make sure may airflow kasi LED lifespan will degrade with temperature.

Why do you need an enclosure? Perhaps for water resistance? Kasi otherwise all you need is this

External Image

Most LED bulbs are similar in size to the equivalent incandescent bulb. If you need something slim, maybe an e-14 LED bulb would do although not available in higher wattages.

Pics naman ng enclosure mo

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Apr 22 2015, 10:40 PM
  • @AmalgamvsAloof

thanks sa advice tama yong sinabi mo , i post ko mamaya yong picture ng enclosure kasi buti nabanggit mo yong sa heat something buti nalang hindi ko pa na i mount ... pahinga muna ko maya pag gising ko kukunan ko ng litrato.
  • if your enclosure has no airflow but it needs to be sealed against rain then maybe you can do something like make the walls of aluminum heatsink or something to get rid of the heat

If you make pics of the enclosure, lagyan mo ng ruler or something so we know the scale. I assume you want a 800 lumen class blub there

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Apr 23 2015, 09:29 AM
  • AmalgamvsAloof Send Message View User Items on April 23, 2015 09:28 AM
    if your enclosure has no airflow but it needs to be sealed against rain then maybe you can do something like make the walls of aluminum heatsink or something to get rid of the heat

If you make pics of the enclosure, lagyan mo ng ruler or something so we know the scale. I assume you want a 800 lumen class blub there

eto na po yong picture.... madami para ma tansya po ninyo sir kong anong bulb ilalagay na heavy duty at design for enclosure.

No. 1) as you can see hindi compatible yong ordinary socket bulb natin sa outdoor enclosure dahil malaki sya at pag nilagyan ng ordinary size LED bulb sigurado sayad na sya sa loob.

External Image

-- edited by constracticons on Apr 24 2015, 02:33 AM

-- edited by constracticons on Apr 24 2015, 02:33 AM

-- edited by constracticons on Apr 24 2015, 02:34 AM
  • AmalgamvsAloof

Sir ayan po naibigay kuna pa advise naman yong pina recommended at heavy duty sa tatlong yan dahil yong una ibabaon yon sa simento so bali kulob talaga sya at baka walang singawan not unless lagyan ko ng electrical pvc pipe para may singawan...

tsaka yong pinaka matipid sa kuryente na led light pero malakas din sya sa liwanag
  • ^koya ingat-ingat tayo, limited two pics per post
    baka sitahin ka nang admin :)
  • mahirap kasi ibabaon sa semento tapos kulob siya. Iinit yun. Bababa ang lifespan.

For #1 and #2 pwede normal LED bulb then tanggalin mo ang plastic diffuser para less ang length and baka mag kasya. Then place mirrors or aluminum foil to reflect the light out.

Wag firefly kasi glass ang diffuser and mahirap alisin unless basagin mo nalang. The new omni's plastic diffuser looks like its glued on so baka mahirap alisin without a dremel. So either chinese brands (madali masira) or maybe GES since I know for at least some GES product lines naalis ang diffuser

Or use one of the bulbs na flat ang diffuser

External Image

These are quite compact but not available in high watt versions. This one uses a MR-16 socket not the usual e-27. The MR-16 and the GU-10 sockets are very compact. You might be able to fit 4 or 5 of them facing out, flat against the glass. You need to remove the E-27 socket to make space and either wire MR-16/GU-10 sockets or just solder wire to the bulb itself

Or use one of these (the square ones). Nakapatong sa glass or even better it replaces the glass para may hangin (if makakita ka ng waterproof mdel). LED panel light ata ang name

External Image

Cut out the e-27 socket to make more space. Small advantage if hiwalay ang LED driver, bale AC to DC transformer. Kung naka hiwalay habaan ang wire so pwede sa labas and di mainit.

This might be the most elegant solution but not the cheapest

tsaka yong pinaka matipid sa kuryente na led light pero malakas din sya sa liwanag

GES has one product line with one of the best lumen per watt ratings. 90-100 lumens per watt kaya. Sa pinas 70-80 ang usual

Update: 2.8 inches deep is 71.12 mm. The GES 3w 360 lumen MR-16 bulb I have is 50 mm diameter and 53mm high based on the box specs. So mukhang kasya

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Apr 24 2015, 12:03 AM

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Apr 24 2015, 12:05 AM
  • for #3 pwede a gu-10 or mr-16 pandak light or diretso ka na dito, replacing the entire thing. Although problema pa rin ang heat. The fins should be in air

External Image
  • for #1 and #2, another option is itapon mo nalang, replace with this

External Image

available in water proof outdoor versions. One of the few led lights na outdoor rated aside from street lights. Pero problema pa rin if covered ng concrete ang cooling fins sa likod

External Image
  • External Image

if you use high efficiency LED lights (more lumens per watt) and they are low enough in wattage pwede na ibaon sa concrete
  • Bibilhan ko nalang ng LED bulb na maliit with socket na maliit din... sayang din. San kaya may bilihan dito sa atin na mura lang para pwede ako tumingin?

-- edited by constracticons on Apr 24 2015, 12:49 AM
  • Bibilhan ko nalang ng LED bulb na maliit with socket na maliit din... sayang din

then dito ka. But I'm still worried about overheating

External Image

I think those number are millimeters.

You can usually ask permission to bring the enclosures inside the hardware store to see if it fits
  • dalhin mo yung enclosure na sa shop, para matulungan ka nila

at matry mo din kung kasya
  • Badtrip. Pundido agad yung 9w GES 2-years led bulb ko, less than a year pa lang. pansin ko lang na hindi siya parehas ng mga nauna kong nabiling 9watters na 2-years din. both have same model name wecl-9wl but yung napundi parang smaller and lighter. kahit sa kahon, mas maliit yung napundi.

Who's Online

705 active users within the last minute, 394 members, 311 guests.
Our newest member is mhinenijeska22
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

New Items for Sale

New Want to Buys

Active Want to Buys