>

User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

LED Lightbulbs - super efficient light bulbs

• @ tong2x ilan lumens po sila?

WT8A-16WL 16.0W; 1.2m (Type: DL / Warm) 2 Years Php 555.00
    WT8B-8WL 8.0W; 0.6m (Type: DL / Warm) 2 Years Php 365.00

WT8A-16W 16.0W; 1.2m (Type: DL / Warm) 5 Years Php 990.00
    WT8B-8W 8.0W; 0.6m (Type: DL / Warm) 5 Years Php 600.00
  • WT8A-16WL 16.0W; 1.2m (Type: DL / Warm) 2 Years Php 555.00 1,440 Lumens
    WT8B-8WL 8.0W; 0.6m (Type: DL / Warm) 2 Years Php 365.00 720 Lumens

WT8A-16W 16.0W; 1.2m (Type: DL / Warm) 5 Years Php 990.00 1600 Lumens
    WT8B-8W 8.0W; 0.6m (Type: DL / Warm) 5 Years Php 600.00 800 Lumens

Please note the tube is running at 16w only... in my experience, ok na ang liwanag ng 16w, I have used both 2years and 5years already.

One of the biggest GES led tube lighting project I saw in our area is NCCC Mall Palawan's supermarket area, they used over 600pcs 16w GES tube lights.

External Image
  • bago ni DaKing, LED PANEL LIGHT 35W

External Image
  • Coincidentally, a story on LED light efficiency reaching 100 lumens per watt appeared while I was reading my newsfeed. Which brought me to finding out that Cree & Philips are the top 2 LED lighting companies. Sadly Cree appears to have no presence here in the Philippines. I was told by a US-based interior designer that GE is also a great brand for LED.

Below is a timeline on how LED makers were able to improve the lumens per watt of LED lights.

External Image

What I learned from my research is that there are 100 lumens per watt LED lights being sold in the Philippines. For example the Philip 10.5w (85w equivalent to incandescent) produces 1055 lumens making its efficiency 100.48lm/W.

Other Philip LED lights vary from 96.55lm/W to 70lm/W.

lm/W is important as it relates to efficiency of the LED light. More light it produces per watt means you will not need to to spend more on power.

Another thing to consider and often ignored is the color rendering index (CRI). In a nutshell CRIrefers to the ability of the source of light to show the colors of various object as faithfully to natural light that is ideal. There is a scale to it which tops at 100. 100 being natural sunlight.

Ideally lm/W should be 90 or higher, power consumption below 10w, lumens more than 900, 90 or better CRI and more than 25,000 hour life.

So far I've seen LED lights that does all these things locally but exceed 80 CRI and reach 25,000 hour life.

Other brands I may not consider as they are not known to EnergyStar.gov. Yes, there are lots of cheap LEDs out there,

I visited a call center along EDSA a few months back and I was surprised at how good the lighting was in the place especially after I used the call center lights with my SLR.

I look forward to changing all my light fixtures to LEDs.

=====================

Further talks with Philips have informed me that 115lm/W and 90 CRI are already available in the Philippines but not through retail as they cannot compete in price.

A high CRI is critical for commercial applications like the selling of food, clothes and other things that depends on enticing colors and appearances.

Be aware that high lm/W can be achieved at the expense of CRI, operating life, glare and other less obvious aspect connected to the product.

I've confirmed that the call center I went to for a photo assignment used Philips LEDtube with a 85 CRI. I was surprised that the photos I took and video taken had good color rendering. Color temp was not bad at all as compared to four stadiums I took photos of for Futbol matches.

Per a distributor Philips offers 3yrs warranty for straight replacement within 2 days.

-- edited by dolina on Nov 07 2014, 09:37 PM
  • Hi! kaka buy ko lng sa handyman ng QUSUN led bulb light 9watts model: MCLA11A 6000K E27 30,000Hours 3yrs warranty hindi naka indicate yung lumens.. naka sale kasi 327.80Pesos. Ask ko lng if ok ba itong brand na to.. Pinalitan ko ung 23watts bulb na philips sa kusina, so far ok nmn yung kulay at maliwanag.. Pero hindi nya kaya palitan yung liwanag ng 32watts circular lamp ng omni sa dining area namin.. Questions: maganda ba tong brand nato?? if maganda balak ko buy pa ng 2pcs neto at twin socket pamalit sa circular lamp if not baka ag GES na lang me.. any suggestions of brand and model pamalit sa circular lamp yung pakalat ang liwanag ah medyo malaki kc yung area.. TIA..

-- edited by mistah27 on Nov 08 2014, 12:22 AM
  • malaki ang area?
    kung gagamit ka ng high lumens para mapaliwanag hanggang farther corners ng area.
    masakit sa mata yun pag nasa malapit ka sa source.

at example, may kausap ka tapos nakatalikod siya sa nagiisang ilaw sa area.
    madidiliman ka sa mukha niya.

para sakin, mas ok yung multiple lightbulbs na low-lumens.
    - maliwanag pero hindi masakit sa mata
    - minimal ang shadow casts.
    - pag biglang napundi, may iba ka pang light sa area
    - pwede mong i-off yung iba pag kailangan mo lang night light.
  • Ideally lm/W should be 90 or higher, power consumption below 10w, lumens more than 900, 90 or better CRI and more than 25,000 hour life.

Interesting. Baka mali lang ang alala ko pero parang wala akong nakitang CRI sa specs ng locally-available LED bulbs. Check ko ulit.
  • @jcmpix the parameters I posted is based partially on the "L Prize" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L_Prize

The complete "L Prize" 60W Incandescent Replacement Bulb standard is as follows

More than 90lm/W
    Less than 10W
    More than 900lm
    More than 25,000 hours life
    More than 90 CRI
    2700-300 K Correlated color temperature (CCT)

That ideal has been achieved in 2011 but medyo mahal at $50-60 (without tax) back in 2011.

Today, it should be cheaper. Hopefully di lalampas ng P1,000.00

I did not mention the 25,000 hours of life as I hope that by the year 2025 there will be lighting products that will 230lm/W or more, 50,000 hours of life or more, increase CRI beyond 94 and sell for half of today's prices.

I was told by one distributor that a 80 CRI is "good enough" for residential application so dont stress to much about it.

Be aware that there are flaws to the CRI as a metric and some brands often times take advantage of this so best to test it by using your phone's camera. If the colors taken under the LED you are testing are so off from that taken under natural sunlight or Incandescent/halogen bulb then you know the published CRI is fudged.

To better understand the criticism on CRI go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index#Criticism_and_resolution

CRI is of the utmost importance in commercial photography, cinematography & video. When CRI fails these application then referring to newer metrics like TLCI (Television Lighting Consistency Index) is often used. Same numbering scale of 0 to 100.

In California it is a requirement to label all lighting fixtures in lumens to easily compare various products to each other rather than the more antiquated metric of Watts.

I'm not an engineer but I read because power rates in the Philippines is the highest in Asia and rivals that of Japan. High rates is ok if our society was advanced as our neighbour to the north.

Here are some examples of what the numbers mean in terms of color rendering.

External Image

External Image

External Image

External Image

External Image

External Image

In the US Cree sells a 60W equivalent LED bulb with 800lm, 93 CRI, 13.5W power consumption, dimmable, 25,000 hrs rated life, for the subsidised price of $10 (before taxes).

Full Specs http://creebulb.com/products/standard-type-a/60-watt-replacement-tw-series-soft-white-led-bulb

-- edited by dolina on Nov 08 2014, 08:31 AM

-- edited by dolina on Nov 08 2014, 08:34 AM

-- edited by dolina on Nov 08 2014, 08:35 AM

-- edited by dolina on Nov 08 2014, 08:39 AM

-- edited by dolina on Nov 08 2014, 08:57 AM

• What I learned from my research is that there are 100 lumens per watt LED lights being sold in the Philippines. For example the Philip 10.5w (85w equivalent to incandescent) produces 1055 lumens making its efficiency 100.48lm/W.

akari 1watt (200 pesos pero sometimes buy one take one) is supposedly 100 lumens/watt
  • A high CRI is critical for commercial applications like the selling of food, clothes and other things that depends on enticing colors and appearances.

Be aware that high lm/W can be achieved at the expense of CRI, operating life, glare and other less obvious aspect connected to the product.

in the past i've heard a lot of bellyaching from some american consumers about the poor CRI of CFL's, when they were new technology. Ewan but our family has been using CFL's for decades and we never noticed any problems with the CRI. Either those low CRI CFL's never reached the philippines or being a 3rd world country we were happy just to have a lower electricity bill.

<click here for link>

pero parang wala akong nakitang CRI sa specs ng locally-available LED bulbs.

maybe because we're a 3rd world country as i said above so there's not much advantage to advertising the CRI

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Nov 08 2014, 12:49 PM

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Nov 08 2014, 12:53 PM
  • Wala namang iintindi ng CRI sa mga pinoy, eh.
    Unless isa ka sa mga light quality OC dun sa kabilang thread (about LED flashlights)
    Or importante sa iyo dahil pinagkakakitaan mo ang color rendition

Para sa benta ng produktong pampaliwanag walang paki si juan sa ganyan
    Ngayon nga lang umuso yung low watt consumption, eh
    Marami pa din yung mas mura sa unang bili puwede na
    Maski nga dito sa thread mas hinahanap yung mas maliwanag at mas mura
  • about CRI

yung ges 5.5w 90lm/w namin walang nakasulat na CRI sa box
    pero yung firefly meron nakalagay na CRI 80

Parang di ganon kalabas ang kulay kahit cri80 na, gaya sa example na image sa taas.
    siguro dahil dalawang 2watts lang ginamit ko. sa 40x40sqm sala.

pero sa color temp mas ok ang GES. mamula-mula kasi.
    yung firefly may parang hint ng bluegreen

pic ng firefly 2w box nakasulat cri80 sa lower right.
    <click here for link>

-- edited by tpc_jayem on Nov 08 2014, 09:54 PM
  • May sale dito malapit sa house namin and they are selling GE led bulbs at 20% off

Nakuha ko ang info below online pero parang ganito rin ang pagkatanda ko sa pricing (wala pa ang discount)
    3 watts equiv to 25 watts ordinary bulb. 170Lumen P200.00
    5 watts equiv to 40 watts ordinary bulb. 350Lumen P275.00
    7watts equiv to 50 watts ordinary bulb. 600Lumen P350.00
    10watts equiv to 75 watts ordinary bulb. 806Lumen P450.00
    13watts equiv to 100 watts ordinary bulb. 1055Lumen P650.00

Mas ok pa rin ba ang GES? Hindi ko naitanong ang warranty ng GE led bulbs.
  • The sentiments shared is why high CRI LEDs are not sold through Philippine retail. ;) Commercial application talaga siya.

Honestly, it should not matter but at least you know why your photos from your smartphones looks weird with fluorescent lamps, LED lighting and other artificial sources of light.

Light application at home tends to be more on not tripping over your things in the house so the more lm/W the better para tipid. Same with office and industrial setting unless the work depends on colors.
  • Going back to topic anyone using a Firefly "LED Nite Lamp 1/2Watts 220V Red"? http://www.fireflyelectric.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=15_71_16&product_id=485

Per a Harvard Medical School study color red light has the least power to shift circadian rhythm and suppress melatonin. This is in reference to getting a good night's sleep and not turn into an insomniac.

If you want to read more on how to sleep better read http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/harvard_health_letter/2012/may/blue-light-has-a-dark-side/
  • My wife and kids prefer to sleep with some light on
    Ako kuntento na sa ilaw galing sa labas ng bintana pero mas gusto ko madilim talaga

As a compromise, I built suspended narrow cabinets along long walls in the masters bedroom
    the suspended height maxes out at 10-inches and I use a 1W MR16 drop in LED without the diffuser plate
    it's warm yellow in the 3000K temperature. too.
    Maliwanag pa din for my taste pero being low to the floor less intrusive and soothing too
  • no reciept no warranty right?

a relative gave me one of the rare old model GES 8w bulbs 5 year warranty where the emitters are pointed to one side, nawala na ang box and reciept

if wala na maybe i can hook up the emitters to DC power?
  • hello first time to use 20W tubular LED (replacement of 40W fluorescent lamp). I bought OMNI 20W tubular LED , 4th Gen LED na daw hindi ko sure kasi hindi naman indicated sa packaging. Sabi sa akin hindi na kailangan ng bagong housing. Hindi na kailangan putulin ang connection ng starter and ballast. Mag bypass daw sa ballast and starter un. Tinest namin sa Wilcon at installed na ngayon sa bahay. Tinanggal ko ung starters pero andun pa din ung ballast sa housing. Wala din akong ginawa sa wirings. Just replaced the lamps, plug and play.

GES sana gusto ko bilhin kaso wala sa Wilcon at ang naalala ko sa GES 4th GEN tubular LED walang bypass feature sa ballast and starters.

My question lang po, totoo ba na mag bypass un sa ballast or gagamit pa din ng minimal power un? Baka kasi sales marketing lang ang "bypass sa ballast and starter".

Anyone using Tubular LED (replacement of 40W fluorescent lamps), ano brand gamit niyo? thanks

-- edited by nadaltipidpc on Nov 10 2014, 11:35 AM

-- edited by nadaltipidpc on Nov 10 2014, 12:08 PM
  • yung GES ko more than 2 years na ok pa din, parang sa SM hardware ko ata nabili 3 watts lang sya pero bili ko parang +/- Php 500 ang mahal. eh after 1 year pagkaka alam ko sinundan ko na ng mga CDRKing LED bulb na 3 watts din bili ko less than 100 petot ang laking mura tas lagpas ng 1 year. pag ito umabot ng more than 2 years sobrang bawi na kasi mga flourescent sa bahay more than a year lang tinatagal
  • sa Chandelier namin sa sala eh 6 bulbs na tig 10 watts isa, dibale 60 watts lahat yun. para tipid tutal pundido na iba binilhan ko ng 6 LED bulbs na tig 3 watts eh bale 18 watts lahat yung 6 LED bulbs ang layo sa dating 60 watts sa ordinary bulb tas halos kasing liwanag sya o baka mas malakas pa. tig 130 petot yung isa sa Qube - aurora blvd ko binili inbetween sya ng gilmore & broadway

<click here for link>
  • If you have a habit of misplacing proof of purchase then scan the document, stick it in the cloud then just reprint when needed. :)
  • sample of cloud - FB or gmail
    yan palaging mo ina-access
  • sauron's staff style GE led bulb spotted in ace

External Image

External Image

9w, 600 lumen php ...uhh i forgot, around php600?

so far the only redeeming characteristic is the very large light angle, which i forgot to note down.
  • hindi siguro mag bypass, kasi dadaan padin sa ballast kung hindi mo putulin...
    parang it does not make sense na yung kuryente at balast may utak na mag bypass sarili
    kung walang intervention na gagawin.

if lumang ballast yan hindi rin masasabing minimal... nasa mga 5w to 10w din kinakain

-- edited by tong2x on Nov 19 2014, 11:35 AM

-- edited by tong2x on Nov 20 2014, 09:33 AM
  • ^ ang gagawin ko na lang 1 month na may ballast para makita ko ung bill then the month after putulin ko na. tignan ko ulit ung bill nun kung bumaba

Who's Online

269 active users within the last minute, 137 members, 132 guests.
Our newest member is jaymedalla
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

New Items for Sale

New Want to Buys

Active Items for Sale

Active Want to Buys