>

User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

The LCD Monitors Thread: Tips, Tricks, Tweaks, New Products and Reviews

• ^
    Sir Vladz natawa ako dun sa pancit canton mo hahaha! sige isasama ko yan para may carbs ako at libreng msg hahaha!
    sorry OT.
    back to topic, kaya po ba idrive ng i5-4690k integrated videocard yung benQ xl2420g pansamantala? or antayin ko na budget para kasabay na gtx 970.
  • ^
    Siguro mga youtube,browsing at movies pero pag games hintayin mo na si 970 mo of course dahil hindi ka nag eenjoy sa integrated graphics.... Pero not sure what do you mean kayang idrive? I think basta naman may integrated either dvi,vga or hdmi gagana na yan kahit walang gpu....
  • ^
    ayun! thank you po ulit Sir Vladz. :)
  • ano po best monitor ngayon for 10K will be use for gaming, im using GTX960.
  • Best monitors would be 24" @ FHD (1920x1080), 27" @ WQHD (3840x1440), and 32" @ UHD/4K (3840x2160) since you view monitors at close quarters.

Pixel density (Pixel Per Inch, PPI)

PC Monitor
    32" UHD (3840x2160) = 137.68 PPI
    28" UHD (3840x2160) = 157.35 PPI
    27" WQHD (2560x1440) = 108.79 PPI
    27" FHD (1920x1080) = 81.59 PPI
    24" FHD (1920x1080) = 91.79 PPI

Notebook Screen
    15" FHD (1920x1080) = 146.86 PPI
    14" FHD (1920x1080) = 157.35 PPI
    14" HD (1366x768) = 111.94 PPI
  • The 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) Experience (For a 28" UHD monitor)

<click here for link>

Our experience with the ‘4K’ UHD resolution was something of a mixed bag, much like our experiences with any monitor we review. On the one hand, the massive amount of real-estate provided by the monitor was really nice – everything looked so crisp and small on the desktop and text remained crisp and well defined despite its small size. For the sake of practicality, though, it was necessary to apply some degree of scaling to make things…Well, a bit bigger! Regardless of the scaling setting used, many common applications such as Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word and web browsers have their own independent zoom control. This allows you to make the main content smaller so it looks sharp and more fits on the screen (i.e. it makes good use of the pixel density) whilst the navigation remained readable.

We found the ‘Medium – 125%’ scaling option optimal for a 28” screen, but other users may have different preferences. Even some of Windows own desktop icons and navigational components started looking a bit out of place at higher scaling settings, we found. Programs like Steam and Adobe Reader did not scale ‘cleanly’ at all, simply looking enlarged and quite ugly really at ‘Large – 150%’ or beyond. Then there were programs like Skype and EA Origin, which refused to scale at all. It didn’t matter what Windows scaling setting you used here, things remained sharp but tiny and fairly difficult to read at any setting.

Our gaming experience was also mixed, but we definitely enjoyed it. There were some things in games that really stood out in a brilliant way at the UHD resolution, for example certain textures that were just stunningly crisp and detailed even if you stood your character close to them. There were other elements that looked good from a certain distance, but became less appealing up close. And then there were other things that just didn’t take advantage of the resolution at all – certain flat looking textures for example. Different titles had a different weight of one type of element over the other. It is also important to mention the sheer graphical horsepower required to deliver respectable frame rates at a resolution of 3840 x 2160. We found disabling MSAA helped boost performance considerably (although not always to the most playable levels on our test system) and on the whole didn’t provide the visual hit you might expect from doing so. Although we found the trade-off acceptable, some users may still find some instances of jagged edges distracting, in which case a higher level of AA would be ideal. We can completely understand people wanting to round off the experience with all the bells and whistles (a good amount of MSAA, ‘Ultra’ settings etc.)
  • The 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) Experience (For a 32" UHD monitor)

<click here for link>

We’ve now tested a number of ‘4K’ UHD monitors, each offering a slightly different experience to the last. From the humble 23.8” Dell P2415Q to the imposing ~40” Philips BDM4065UC and some 27” – 28” models in between. We felt that the 32” screen of the BenQ BL3201PT (BL3201PH) offered the most pleasant UHD experience. When using it for general desktop use we didn’t have to rely on scaling, which is certainly nice given that it can be quite hit and miss. Meanwhile the game and movie experience lived up to the ‘Ultra High Definition’ moniker, providing a similar level of detail and clarity to the smaller models we’ve tested. This is something lost from the experience on the ~40” Philips, which also excellent in many ways has a comparable pixel density to a 27” WQHD model. The screen size also provided an absorbing experience on games and movies without being too imposing.
  • Hingi lang sana ako suggestions re monitor kasi bumigay na ginagamit ko..

current monitor ko na pabigay na is BenQ 24", ang tanong:

1. Gusto ko sana 27", budget is 15k max
    2. 1080 or 2K monitor? Pag 2k monitor ba ok lang maglaro at 1080p? Kasi before sabi ang LCD dapat nasa native resolution ka. Hindi pa kasi kaya ng card ko ang 2K gaming pero gusto ko sana mag future proof kahit papano. Don't need 4k
    3. Ano ok na monitors based sa requirements ko?

suggestions na lang po kahit hindi swak sa budget baka pwede ko i tweak. GTX 660 card ko ngayon if it matters..

thanks!!
  • mag 1080p ka yung tig 7-8k (LG or ASUS)
    then upgrade mo muna gtx 660 mo benta mo muna yan
  • @blank

monitor: LG 25 (25UM65) LED, IPS, 2560x1080, DVI HDMI DP, vesa, speaker PHP 10850.00
  • @blank_blank

I would recommend na mag 1080p monitor ka muna like a 23-inch or 27-inch model. Although maganda ang detail ng 2560x1440 on 27-inches, baka mahirapan ang GTX 660 mo while playing games at that resolution. Ideally dapat naka GTX 970 or R9 290 or R9 390 videocard ka at the minimum when playing at 1440p. Also brand new 27-inch 1440p monitors cost Php 25K and above so kukulangin ang Php 15K budget.

(Having said that... pwede mo din i-downscale ang 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 but baka hindi perfect ang interpolation so hindi sharp ang image. Also kung ang games na nilalaro mo have low videocard requirements like DOTA2 or CS:GO baka kaya naman na ng GTX 660...)

Para may idea ka on 27-inch monitor pricing:

BenQ GW2760HS = 1920x1080 AMVA Panel (Php 12,700)
    ASUS VX279H = 1920x1080 IPS Panel (Php 13,900)
    LG IPS277L = 1920x1080 IPS Panel (Php 15,900)
    Dell S2715H = 1920x1080 IPS Panel (Php 16,250)
    LG 27MP75HM = 1920x1080 IPS Panel (Php 16,300)

ASUS PB278QR = 2560x1440 IPS Panel (Php 25,400)
    Dell U2715H = 2560x1440 IPS Panel (Php 26,450)

Another option... why not buy a 23-inch IPS monitor and GTX 960 videocard? Total cost siguro nun would be Php 17K ~ 18K :-)
  • thanks sa mga reply, nakita ko rin yung LG na 25", taka lang ako bakit parang mura sobra, baka hindi siya pang games pang movies lang or work?

so problem ko rin pala mahal yung 1440p para sakin, looks like maging stuck ako on 1080p hehe.
    Next question is kung 1080p na nga ako, mas ok ba 24" vs 27" kasi mababa na yung ppi ng 27"?
    then last, yung 960 ba is enough for 1080? alam ko kasi minor upgrade lang siya to GTX 660 e yung 660 ko nde naman kaya Ultra at 1080p hehe.

eto pala last, ano ano ba diff ng mga panels? yung suggestion ni k3rv1n kasi 8-9k lang pero suggestions ni sleepy meron halos 2x the price?
  • @blank_blank
    nakita ko rin yung LG na 25", taka lang ako bakit parang mura sobra, baka hindi siya pang games pang movies lang or work?

Yung LG 25UM65 is an ultra-wide monitor, dead give-away ang resolution niya at 2560x1080 so 21:9 ang aspect ratio. Isipin mo na 20-inch monitor siya na 1080p pero mas malapad lang horizontally by 5-inches. Ok siya for games and movies but I don't recommend getting that monitor at baka maliitan ka masyado sa vertical height niya. To compare with your 24-inch BenQ, ganito ang hitsura niya:

External Image

Next question is kung 1080p na nga ako, mas ok ba 24" vs 27" kasi mababa na yung ppi ng 27"?

Mas maganda ang PPI ng 23-inch or 24-inch monitor compared to 27-inch monitor at 1920x1080. Gumagamit ako ng 27-inch monitor na 1920x1080 and para sa akin ok naman ang size. Para sa akin hindi naman kita ang pixels while sitting 2 feet away at tama lang ang size niya dahil madali basahin ang fonts so less eye-strain. Sa games and movies mas immersive din ang experience dahil malaki ang screen.

Kung sanay ka naman sa smaller size na monitor ok narin yung 23 ~ 24 inches. I would recommend a 27-inch screen kung malayo ang position ng monitor mo or kung nahihirapan ka magbasa ng fonts at the native resolution at madalas kailangan mo mag zoom sa screen. Also kung mahilig kayo manood ng movies and videos in front of the PC mas recommend ko ang 27-inches.

then last, yung 960 ba is enough for 1080? alam ko kasi minor upgrade lang siya to GTX 660 e yung 660 ko nde naman kaya Ultra at 1080p hehe.

Yung GTX 960 is adequate for 1080p gaming at high graphics details and maintaining 30 ~ 50 fps average framerates. Kung sa tingin mo na kaya pa naman ng GTX 660 mo ang 1080p and satisfied ka pa sa performance niya then no need to upgrade the videocard. Isipin mo nalang ang performance ng GTX 960 nasa gitna ng GTX 670 and GTX 680 in relation to your videocard.

eto pala last, ano ano ba diff ng mga panels? yung suggestion ni k3rv1n kasi 8-9k lang pero suggestions ni sleepy meron halos 2x the price?

Yung suggestion ni kerv1n_ na monitors worth 7K-8K are 23-inch monitors with IPS panel and 1920x1080 resolution. Heto yung differences ng mga panels:

TN Panel = Poor viewing angles, average colors, average contrast, fastest pixel response times, cheapest.
    AMVA Panel = Very good viewing angles, very good colors, best contrast, fast pixel response times, priced between TN and IPS.
    IPS Panel = Best viewing angles, best colors, average contrast, slow pixel response times, most expensive.
  • thanks sleepygeepy!

1. ayaw ko na nung LG kala ko kasi same height siya pero mas mahaba. kala ko kasi parehas 1080 e yun na yung height hehe.

2. close up po ako sa monitor, less than 2 feet away mukha ko sa screen. ang real issue ko lang nainiggit ako sa mga larger displays, but the problem is wala ako first hand experience ng 27inch usage. I am assuming na mas ok siya kaysa 24.. ang tanong ko uli is, does it matter ba yung PPI? since malapit ako sa screen visible difference ba?

3. parang sayang upgrade ng 960 kasi for me. Pag ipunan ko na lang siguro 970 (kaso biglang dumating monitor issue ko so 1 year setback to siguro) or wait ko lumabas Pascal next year para mas sulit sa 970. tiyaga na lang muna ako 660 and hope for properly optimized games like Witcher 3 hehe

4. I see, yung Benq ko siguro TN panel kasi pangit viewing angle. Try ko na lang siguro AMVA para gitna hehe. So Benq na naman ako? OK ba Benq kasi sakin nasira na agad e less than 4 years to..

thanks uli sa detailed answers laking tulong :)
  • To me, viewing angle is not really an issue since you sit directly in front of the monitor when using it. Marketers just over exaggerate this to justify the price premium of IPS panels. What I discovered to be of a greater issue is the low ambient light performance of IPS panels, which is terrible. Blacks really look gray when the monitor is used in low-light environments. Furthermore, the IPS glow on the corners really diminishes the user experience when viewing content with plenty of dark scenes like movies or games.

AMVA panels are naturally superior in this area while the brightness of most new TN panels can be adjusted low enough to improve contrast and minimize panel glow. I have an IPS Dell P2214H, which had very positive reviews, and it has terrible IPS glow even with the brightness set to 0. The same goes with the popular Asus VX239 and VX279 series. Basically, all IPS monitors that use LG's AH-IPS panels (circa 2012 up to now) exhibit unacceptable low-light contrast performance and IPS glow.

If you always use your AH-IPS monitor in a well-lit environment like an office or living room, the aforementioned is not really an issue. It is still there but not as obvious or disturbing. On the other hand, if you use the monitor in a private space or room where you frequently turn down/off the lights, be prepared to be disappointed with monitors that use AH-IPS panels.
  • @blank_blank
    2. close up po ako sa monitor, less than 2 feet away mukha ko sa screen. ang real issue ko lang nainiggit ako sa mga larger displays, but the problem is wala ako first hand experience ng 27inch usage. I am assuming na mas ok siya kaysa 24.. ang tanong ko uli is, does it matter ba yung PPI? since malapit ako sa screen visible difference ba?

It depends sa user. Meron kasi mga sensitive ang eyesight at gusto nila yung wala makitang pixelation or graininess sa image. So as much as possible gusto nila yung very high PPI para same ang visual quality with their smartphone or tablet. Meron naman iba na hindi as important ang PPI dahil mas prefer nila yung good balance of screen size and resolution for less eye-strain. Dahil kapag masyado na mataas ang resolution ang hirap na basahin ang fonts and your eyes work harder by trying to focus on the very small fonts causing eye fatigue and sometimes headaches.

Para sa akin mas prefer ko yung larger sized screen dahil gusto ko yung ease of reading fonts while sitting up straight (2 feet away) or even while reclined in a chair (3.5 feet away). Although yung 27-inch monitor ko hindi as sharp looking as my tablet (2560x1600 at 8.4 inches) that's still acceptable dahil hindi naman 6-inches ang viewing distance from my eyes. Also iba din yung immersion ng bigger screen while watching movies or playing games, especially with fps adventure games or racing games.

Anyway kung ang monitor resolution mo is 1920x1080 I recommend staying within the monitor diagonal size of 22-inches to 27-inches max. Kung gusto mo ng larger display then go with the 27-inch screen size and don't mind the PPI too much. Just enjoy the bigger screen :-)

3. parang sayang upgrade ng 960 kasi for me. Pag ipunan ko na lang siguro 970 (kaso biglang dumating monitor issue ko so 1 year setback to siguro) or wait ko lumabas Pascal next year para mas sulit sa 970. tiyaga na lang muna ako 660 and hope for properly optimized games like Witcher 3 hehe

Kung makakapag save up ka for GTX 970 or R9 390 then mas magandang option yun. Spend now on getting a good monitor na gusto mo then upgrade the videocard next time.

4. I see, yung Benq ko siguro TN panel kasi pangit viewing angle. Try ko na lang siguro AMVA para gitna hehe. So Benq na naman ako? OK ba Benq kasi sakin nasira na agad e less than 4 years to..

Since nasa Php 15K naman ang budget mo I suggest you get a 27-inch IPS panel monitor. Mas vibrant ang colors ng IPS and ok narin ang contrast niya for regular use. Also mas maganda yung external design ng IPS panel monitors with thin bezels tulad ng ASUS, Dell, LG etc. Yung only available na AMVA panel monitor at 27-inches is the BenQ and to be honest medyo old-school ang looks niya hehe. But in terms of reliability ok naman ang BenQ in my experience. I've been using a BenQ GW2750HM since 2012 and so far no issues and still going strong :-)
  • Yep those cheap IPS panels aren't so good.

The ones found in more expensive professional grade display monitors on the other hand are really good in almost any lighting condition and even more so with proper calibration.

Viewing angles are a big deal for me because the color and contrast shifting inherent in TN panels is noticeably annoying just by moving around my chair particularly with larger panels up close.

I'm really curious about the quality of those IPS-type 144Hz panels found on GSync and Freesync displays. Feedback has been good so far.
  • i think I can agree with woof, since 99% of the time in front of the monitor ako so hindi big deal yung viewing angles. although naka open lagi lights ko kasi masakit sa mata ko pag off lights then bright monitor.

mukhang convinced na ko to go 27 inch 1080p, 1440p would be too much at almost double the price and add to that the strain to my senior citizen GPU. I'll check out the suggested monitors though, isa isahin ko tomorrow to at least narrow down my choices :)
  • ok lang po ba yung LG 23MP67HQ for gaming? asus vx239h talga dapat pero ang daming negative feedbacks..tia
  • @Ouroboros00

That model looks ok. AH-IPS panel with flicker free backlight and 5m GTG response times. Plus the bezels look really thin :-)

I suggest you avoid the ASUS VX239H for now due to reliability issues. Most likely we need to wait for the next model or revision from ASUS.
  • parang eto na gusto ko ah - ASUS VX279H
    @sleepygeepy good buy na ba yan?

Who's Online

860 active users within the last minute, 425 members, 435 guests.
Our newest member is marlonj26
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

New Items for Sale

New Want to Buys

Active Want to Buys