Forum Topic

USB-SATA Enclosure

• Recently I bought a USB-SATA 2.5 enclosure and matched with a 160GB SATA HD. But when I plugged it in, XPSP3 didn\'t detect any activity (meaning no hardware detected, and the HD was not detected as well). I tried rebooting but it didn\'t help also.

1) Any advice on how to make it work?

2) If you plug in a USB-SATA Enclosure without an onboard HD will it be detected by XPSP3?

Thanks
  • Madedetect ba ng XP ang usb-enclosure (as a device itself) na walang nakakabit na Harddrive? di kasi ako sure kung defective yung enclosure o baka yung hardrive ang may problem.

thanks again
  • for a 2.5\" usb enclosure (or any bus-powered device), #1 problem would be power, try to plug it on the USB port at the back of the computer, usually bus-powered usb device almost always have a Y-connector, try to plug in both usb plugs to two separate usb connectors

for a sample of a y-connector

just connect the two usb connector to two usb ports at the back of the pc, make sure to connect it to two adjacent ports (so it will have a different 5V rail)
  • @Fulcrum

in my experience hindi po ma de-detect ung enclosure as new device, meron din akong 160 2.5 HDD na naka enclosure, need mo po ilagay ang hdd sa enclosure
  • Recently I bought a USB-SATA 2.5 enclosure and matched with a 160GB SATA HD. But when I plugged it in, XPSP3 didn\'t detect any activity (meaning no hardware detected, and the HD was not detected as well). I tried rebooting but it didn\'t help also.

What\'s your PC specs?

This issue is more likely caused by either:

a) XP\'s USB driver was not installed/loaded properly. Better install the chipset driver of your PC and double-check.

b) your XP PC\'s USB port is not supplying enough power to the USB enclosure (this occurs quite often on older or rusty USB ports (try changing to a different USB port on the same PC if it has the same symptom)
  • got it working finally. thanks for the inputs. =)
  • got it working finally. thanks for the inputs. =)

Mind if you detail what you did? Para if next time someone searches this thread, they can try your solution..
  • buti hindi fake.

outside

inside

<click here for link>
  • Mind if you detail what you did? Para if next time someone searches this thread, they can try your solution..

Just used a y-connector as posted by bratzki.
  • Just used a y-connector as posted by bratzki.

So it looks like the problem you encountered was insufficient power from the single USB port, and having 2 powered USB ports solved the issue...
  • saan nakakabili nito locally? mas ok ba ito kesa enclosure? thanks