>

User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

TPC HeadFi Group (No Trading, mention of Seller/Shop Name, Limit Size to 640pixel Max)

• Crispy Highs™
    Thigh Thumping Bass™

Haha those were the days
  • @Peorth
    Well, in truth the first compressed format I ever used was MP2, not MP3. If I recall correctly my desktop computer then was based on a Pentium 486-DX4-100 which would struggle to play MP3s but did fine with MP2s. Not long after MP3s became very popular and my brother had access to a lot of them stored in in various computers in the Engineering labs. We actually did the reverse and burned CDs from the MP3s. I still remember the first CD we ever burned and it was a collection of Roxanne hits, burned using a portable 1x DVD burner (which took around an hour to burn). The CDs we used then were gold Kodak discs, these discs were pricey but really the best I've ever used, playing flawlessly despite many scratches. I think I still have a couple of these discs somewhere...

Hehe nice! I was not able to try MP2 files only MP3 :-) In my office before, we used to collect a lot of music CD's then everyone would "copy" each other's CD's by using (at the time) the only Plextor CD burner we had at the data-center. Burning a CD took a long time and we had to let the Plextor drive rest every 2-3 burning sessions otherwise the SCSI drive would hang and ruin the 3rd or 4th disc while it was burning.

However those Kodak Gold blank CD's were so expensive and we would really have second thoughts of copying a CD since you can almost buy the original CD album for the same price (around Php 500 ~ Php 650 at the time). So many would just create a "mix CD" that contains various songs from various artists. I often had to skip lunch as me and my officemates would run off to Virra Mall during lunch time and buy those Gold Kodak CD's.

It's only when my officemates started experimenting with MP3's and using Winamp did we realize, we could fit in a lot more "CD quality" songs on a blank CD. So I thought it was a novel way to bring my CD collection to the office by just bringing a couple of CD's filled with MP3 rips. This started long nightly sessions in the office, encoding MP3's on a server and burning them on the Plextor drive as they reached 650MB in size. Encoding the MP3's took a long time with my PC at home so I would just use the server in the office which was a lot faster... a dual Pentium CPU with 16MB of RAM LOL...

Anyway those were good times at the office playing MP3's on their PC and listening to them on Cambridge Soundworks and Altec Lansing PC speakers (everybody bought one) :-)

Who's Online

301 active users within the last minute, 131 members, 170 guests.
Our newest member is billrosekimxian
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

New Want to Buys

Active Items for Sale

Active Want to Buys