>

User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

Unified Canon DSLR Users Thread (Share your shots, thoughts etc.)

• @bloode_13

we are shooting the same thing, landscape / portraiture / events. for me, both are very important. if u use a manual flash and shoot events, you usually wont get very far with that, especially when u start shooting important events like baptism, weddings etc. bec. on such events the concentration should go more into the composing and less into the settings, what I mean is you should of course have the right settings, but the more you spend time setting up your manual flash + cam settings, the less you will have time to shoot creatively.

The difference between shooting events / portraits compared to landscape is, landscape in many cases requires you to have a good UWA lens: good sharpness, not too extreme vignetting, no horrible CA's, and the more wider opening that UWA has, the better bec. of the bigger glass (thus often more defined and longer sunrays when shoot at smaller opening). But these lenses costs a fortune, like for example the Canon 16-35 F2.8, or the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 (although this one has horrible CA). You can of course go for the cheaper UWA's, if you buy a good one (not those from Tamron) then that would be enough for your needs. But keep in mind that even the cheap ones costs alot, except if you buy the manual lenses like from samyang (which some also use for landscape). And in some cases you could use your manual flash in landscape when you want to do something creatively in long exposure...

In Portrait you have the alternative to use available light when shooting outdoor, and sometimes 1 flash + 1 big reflector would also be sufficient (just use them very creatively). I remember in the past when I was still exploring Strobing that 1 flash with diffusor + reflector was sufficient for me doing outdoor shootings and even food / product photography. Later on the more you learn about lighting, you will know exactly what u need... more fill light, hairlight etc... and then you will automatically buy more flashes. and then you will know what light modifiers you need.

So its up to you what weighs more importance. For me, a good ETTL flash with some modifiers would be great, and I would set this as priority (including stand etc.) when u make some money out of it. ex. Yongnuo 568ex with HSS capability, and when u buy the affordable transceiver YN 622c would be a great combination. if its pure hobby related, and your passion is more about landscape, then I'd suggest to invest in a very good UWA lens, the wider open the better (keep in mind that UWA lenses are also suitable for events).
  • External Image

External Image

-- edited by IT_Bouncer on Oct 17 2014, 08:03 PM
  • @IT_Bouncer

but the more you spend time setting up your manual flash + cam settings, the less you will have time to shoot creatively.

Exactly!

Btw, I love your shot composition using the UWA above, I was actually aiming for the cheaper EFS 10-18mm while I'm familiarizing myself with such wide angles before spending more on higher end UWA's, however, these new piece of equip is so in demand, it was already out of stock from CMP in a matter of 3 months!

In Portrait you have the alternative to use available light when shooting outdoor, and sometimes 1 flash + 1 big reflector would also be sufficient (just use them very creatively). I remember in the past when I was still exploring Strobing that 1 flash with diffusor + reflector was sufficient for me doing outdoor shootings and even food / product photography. Later on the more you learn about lighting, you will know exactly what u need... more fill light, hairlight etc... and then you will automatically buy more flashes. and then you will know what light modifiers you need.

Indeed my case as well. When I first tried shooting portraits with 1 flash setup, it definitely gave more depth and clarity than only depending on ambient light. Only problem with manual flashes is that it has no HSS capability, so it's definitely very difficult to use with a very wide aperture under a bright overcast or sunny day without using any filter to stop down light.

So its up to you what weighs more importance. For me, a good ETTL flash with some modifiers would be great, and I would set this as priority (including stand etc.) when u make some money out of it. ex. Yongnuo 568ex with HSS capability, and when u buy the affordable transceiver YN 622c would be a great combination. if its pure hobby related, and your passion is more about landscape, then I'd suggest to invest in a very good UWA lens, the wider open the better (keep in mind that UWA lenses are also suitable for events).

I'm glad I got my decision right! I just recently purchased a YN568EX II (ttl with HSS for a cheaper price) paired with YN-622C's, though still deciding which diffuser to get aside from the umbrella i currently have. I will definitely follow your advise regarding which UWA's to acquire, though I can't promise I'd stick with canon. And yes, I got inspired with event photos that were taken using UWA's and their awesome! Can't wait to get one once I earn enough with the ttl flash. ;D

I greatly appreciate your outputs master! Thank you for sharing! It was very inspiring indeed. Definitely I could relate to your experiences, i got goosebumps while reading it! (seriously).

-- edited by bloode_13 on Oct 18 2014, 10:02 AM
  • External Image
  • Share of blur blur
    External Image

-- edited by elman on Oct 20 2014, 11:54 AM
  • External Image

aeta

Who's Online

736 active users within the last minute, 391 members, 345 guests.
Our newest member is JuliusCrisSalinas
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

New Want to Buys

Active Want to Buys