User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

RC Helicopter

• Going back to RC Helis...

@Hajile

Any idea how RoadRats Heli boards are wired? I have one of those roadrats helis lying around. After a bad crash, the owner gave it to me to tinker with. He took off and threw away both side LEDs (ripping off the wires in the process). One of them, I think, had the power switch. The wires for the power switch are still intact (Red, Black, Orange). I don't know how to turn it on with just the wires and what wires are missing that prevent it from getting started and flying again.

External Image

I think the "plugs" are all there though some of them have wires going nowhere (disconnected, baka LEDs).

Can you help me out?
  • Not sure i can help unless i can physically hold it and look it over. Have you checked the board for any contacts that look like it's supposed to have something soldered on it?

Tried out the 433 on my bixler yesterday, got it just past Splash island (1.5km) and i think i got to atleast 1.6km before the video fuzzed out. The FrSky's limit is 1.5km and the OrangeLRS stayed strong at 1.6, I'm gonna try again later with a separate, 500mah battery for the video system and see if that clears up the video a bit :)

I used to panic with every little glitch, but now, having the screen fuzz out doesn't seem to matter. Must be getting used to it.

-- edited by Hajile on Apr 26 2014, 10:49 AM
  • That's 1.6Kms without range alarms and with your "hand-crafted" dipoles? That's great! It might even do twice that or more.

Which frequency did you use for your vid? 1.3GHz or 5.8Ghz? Any chance you might be needing better antennas for your video gear?

There doesn't seem to be any broken solders. If I remember correctly, the 3 power lines were all connected to the switch. The 2 plugs I labeled "don't know" seem to be LEDs. One of them is directly connected to the tail rotor LED.

If you'd like, I can send the thing to you via LBC. :)

-- edited by alexraz on Apr 26 2014, 02:31 PM
  • No range alarms for the 433 as long as you remember to keep your radios antenna vertical. I tend to relax too much and end up pointing the null at the plane sometimes. The alarm sort of alerts me when i'm slacking and it goes silent when i hold the radio properly.

The video is 5.8Ghz 200mw with a CP antenna. The groundstation is a rather badly repaired 6 turn helical (Got crushed and the center shaft broke, didn't quite set it back properly when i repaired it). The trouble i have right now is how to cut the center plastic dowel so it stands up perfectly 90 degrees so it can support the helical properly.

I don't think i'll be able to figure it out anyway. Most hobby grade heli's don't have an ON switch. The only one i have that does was an iOS controlled coaxial and that one had the switch directly soldered to the PCB.
  • Did your view totally fuzz out? How were you able to steer it back to within video range?

Have you tried a razor fixed on a dremmel? :) Just a thought. I've been using an angle grinder with a saw blade all day on another, carpentry related, project.

I'm thinking of putting together a moxon for the ground station for starters and a dipole for the receiver at the front end of the quad where the motors are farthest from each other. An alternative is a horizontally oriented dipole posted from the bottom under the FC.

Do you think either will work?

EDIT: Additional questions

Did you get a 9XR from HobbyKing? I tried to get one but when I get to the shipping part, the minimum shipping cost is $25, $39 if I add other items and always EMS (no other option). Has this happened to you?

If this remains the case, it would be cheaper to get it locally.

-- edited by alexraz on Apr 26 2014, 07:21 PM
  • At the time i got it there was not other 9XR's in stock locally, and i had a lot of hard to find stuff included in the shipment as well so i actually got everything cheaper after EMS and customs.

Not sure about those antennas, my personal experience are the CP, Whip, Dipole and Helical. I still have to make a moxon or bowtie antenna.

After the other days successful flight where it performed atleast as good as the FrSky. Today, i set the destination for Carmona about 2km away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFhta1v1hO0

Got there after four minutes. You should be able to see how the video fades in and out there.
  • Nice!

Maybe the noise floor is higher over Splash Island. All in all that was a good flight. How's the batt level when it got back? How do you navigate? It's amazing that you know the terrain. Is it just by sight? Your OSD only shows recording time and batt voltage.
  • Btw, I have HK buddy codes for rotorbits 10X4.5 props (set of 4 black and set of 4 red).

Red 10x4.5 (2 CW and 2 CCW) (19ish% discount)
    <click here for link>

Black 10x4.5 (2 CW and 2 CCW) (19ish% discount)
    <click here for link>

-- edited by alexraz on Apr 28 2014, 07:27 PM
  • Have you guys tried the Zippy Lipos. I hope they're good.

I'm looking to get a few of these <click here for link> and an accucell <click here for link>, plus a couple of Afros <click here for link>.
  • removed

-- edited by Hajile on Apr 28 2014, 10:00 PM
  • removed

-- edited by Hajile on Apr 28 2014, 10:00 PM
  • I fly there all the time so i'm pretty familiar with the area. I just follow the highway so i don't get lost, and my flying site is about a kilometer of leveled grass bordered by multicolored roofs from the surrounding subdivisions so it's pretty distinct. I also can't miss the golf course next to it.

I'm moved the rest of the replies to the other thread since they're about plane FPV and no longer helicopter related :)

http://www.tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=290307
  • Ok pa rin ba bumili ng v912 or meron na syang katapat na mas maganda at the same price? Tia.
  • v912 brushless mern na. v913 mas malaki and more visible kapag malayo.
  • guys. walkera v450d03 parts sa manila area any idea? tail rotor head set
  • Hello po! I need help with my Syma F1 Fiery Dragon. Meron po b kau alam na service center dito? (hangat maari along paranaque lng kng wla basta NCR). Nakakapag taka lng kc na whenever push the throttle at max rom ng main propeller bigla na lng nag loose connection. Salamat po

Who's Online

296 active users within the last minute, 163 members, 133 guests.
Our newest member is Ricardosaf
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

New Want to Buys

Active Items for Sale

Active Want to Buys