User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

router w/ torrent support

• Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to buy a Router with torrent support out of the box. Unfortunately, I can't afford these models:
    RT-N56u
    RT-N66u
    RT-AC66u

My budget will be around 2.5K to 3K. Can someone kindly suggest me what to buy?

I'm not sure if this model RT-N14U has torrent support on it's factory firmware. Is this a good buy?
    If Yes, does it support a USB hub similar to the image below?
    External Image

I would really appreciate sharing your ideas on this.

Thank you so much!

• jayskie25 Send Message View User Items on February 13, 2014 05:27 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to buy a Router with torrent support out of the box. Unfortunately, I can't afford these models:
    RT-N56u
    RT-N66u
    RT-AC66u

My budget will be around 2.5K to 3K. Can someone kindly suggest me what to buy?

I'm not sure if this model RT-N14U has torrent support on it's factory firmware. Is this a good buy?
    If Yes, does it support a USB hub similar to the image below?
    External Image

I would really appreciate sharing your ideas on this.

Thank you so much!

been using the RTN14u for a year already and its bang for the buck... Soon ka na lang bumili ng mga high end router since hindi pa gaano ka popular ang 802.11ac frequency ng wifi.. and besides masyado pa mahal ang fiber optics sa atin... you can use those when you update the firmware once you buy this router... using it and online 24/7 pero for now as per needed ko lang gamit ito pero kung sa downloads ng torrent, its good make sure i limit mo lang ang bandwith ng torrent... pwede rin ang printer at usb dongles 3g/4g-lte sa router na ito
  • @ hitler_xtreme:
    Thank you sir. I'm planning to buy it na by next week. Na try niyo na po ba mag connect ng USB Hub sa likod ng router (katulad ng image sa previous message ko)?
    Kasi I have a USB Hub with 2 USB ports. Plan to connect a printer and an external Hardrive at the same time.

TIA
  • ^ hindi pa pero yung bagong beta firmware ngayon may option to choose 2 usb connected devices pero di ko pa nasubukan yang hub... initially, idedetect naman yan ng router kapag nakakonek na ang devices mo... pag kabili mo ng bagong router na yan, i upgrade mo sa latest firmware.. merong latest ngayong firmware.. dont worry of bricking the firmware dahil safe naman ang upgrade as the router itself is protected against unsuccessful firmware upgrade...

-- edited by hitler_xtreme on Feb 13 2014, 07:27 PM
  • you can also use the alternative firmware for N14u here <click here for link>

- Heavily modded firmware
    - Download Master is removed and replaced with Transmission (a torrent client) and aria2 (a DDL manager)
    - miniDLNA is added (you can now share your media files over DLNA capable devices)
    - Built-in Itunes support (firefly). If you have any Apple Device, you can stream your media using that.
    - Add new support for USB modems and USB printers
    - You can plug as many USB device as you want. (as long as you can power them up)

although in N66u/N56u/AC66u, I highly recommend TomatoUSB shibby builds.
  • @hitler_xtreme:

Thanks again. Can't wait to purchase the router next week. :)

@polka:

I appreciate it Sir! I'll check out that modded firmware. I just have fears of possible bricking the thing. I had a traumatic experience with a mobile phone in the past. :(

Cheers!
  • ^bricking is least of your worries in Asus routers. They have recovery application that you can use to restore your router to working state.

although Android is pretty hard to brick, as long as you backup the OEM OS image of the device, you can only officially brick android by flashing a wrong recovery image, flashing a different Android OS image on the phone doesnt officially brick it, only partial. You can recover from it using your backup image. Usually, once you have a CWM installed as your recovery image, youre safe. At least, from all Android phones that I installed CWM, none of them are brick since there's a apk (or from Google Play) that you can install to automate things (which is pretty much fool proof).

-- edited by polka on Feb 14 2014, 07:55 AM
  • @ polka:

Thanks again sir. Such good informations over there.
  • ano marecommend nyong alternative sa N14u na 1gb lan speed na
  • RT-N16 na ehehe siguro yan na ang pinaka ok. masyado pa mahal yung n66u at ac66u. kabagal pa ng internet natin dito ehehe..
  • ask ko lang, which router (bang for the buck) can you recommend na may torrent support at printer server at external hdd?
    sa nababasa ko, asus rt-n16 ung ok? tama po ba? or meron pa mas mura at panalo?
    salamat! <i hope pwede dito ung question ko>
  • @rducky_1417

Personally using rt-n16 as a torrent box with external hdd connected to it and I can personally recommend it. Using Shibby firmware, its quite painless compared to other firmware options.

I dont have experience using the rt-n16 as a printer server so best for others to chime in on this matter.
  • @polka & hitler_xtreme:

I bought already the RT-N14U router recently. Thanks again.

I also did try flashing the firmware to the custom one made by Padavan. It's cool though but I have an issue with it. I can't get the internet to work. All settings are on default. So I had no choice but to revert it back to stock.

I'm kinda new to this, Do I have to do some special tweaks on this one?

TIA
  • UNLISURF 1 Month to AllNET for Only P200!
    Smart, Globe, TNT, Sun, TM!
    Tested and Legit!
    O9159O27O36
  • @padyakbud, thanks for the reply...
    di nag-appear ung previous reply ko...anyways, have you tried that cdrking router brand? it has support for printer server, torrent and energy saver too..
    CD-R KING (CW-5356U/CW-5358U)...
  • @rducky_1417

Nope I dont use CDRKing. Sorry.
  • @jayskie

i dunno kung ano yan na install mo but to confirm, did you install the custom firmware provided here <click here for link>

sa akin kasi confirmed working naman sa akin, pag install pa lang ng firmware lahat ng features na kailangan mo like torrent ready to use na (assuming you already plugged the USB drive since hindi mag start yung torrent client without any USB storage device plugged in) and normal functions as router (like providing interne access to local network) works fine as expected.
  • @ Polka:

Hello Sir.

Yes, That's exactly the one I installed especially the latest firmware. I did it twice but same results. Everything works fine except for the internet. It doesn't detect the connection at all. Weird.

I'll gonna give it a try again this weekend.

Thanks!
  • Patulong naman po. May router kasi ako na netgear. N900 po sya. May 2ghz at 5 ghz. Tapos for some reason, humina signal nya. Piling device na lang pwede abot sa kwarto and the rest, kailangan katabi mismo ng router. As in dikit na dikit. Ang tanong ko po:

1. Kailangan ko na palitan?
    2. Kung hindi, san pwede paayos? Magkano?
    3. Kung oo ano po magandang ipalit? Magkano?

Original price po nun ay 8k-9k. Pero 5.5k ko lang binili kasi napanalunan lang sa raffle. So mga 5.5 or below po budget ko. Salamat!

Who's Online

776 active users within the last minute, 449 members, 327 guests.
Our newest member is brent111611
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

New Want to Buys

Active Items for Sale

Active Want to Buys