>

User Login

TipidPC.com is the largest online IT Community in the Philippines. Have something to sell or share? Sign up for an account now. It's absolutely free!

Forum Topic

HTPC users thread: Tips, Tricks, and everything HTPC FAQ Page 1

• ^di ba sa videocard yun sir dependent?
  • Hi mga sir any feedback sa mga new Mini PC's ngayon like Pipo X7?
    Any bang for the buck mini pc or htpc?
  • Hello sir kurtskyTPC

I am also searching for a good Mini PC or Android box but its really tough.

There are lots of bang for the buck but there are downsides too.

For me these are the following reasons,
    1. They overheat fast due to its small casing because it can barely breathe, it is fine if you are in an air conditioned room
    2. High end models can cost a lot so better off build a PC that still have room for upgrades.

And about the Pipo X7, I've read and see people try to modify its case and add a fax inside just because it overheats.

But if you play small sized files then its okay.

I play huge files so its really pushing the hardware to its limits and that is why I decided to build a budget HTPC.

-- edited by armenmoghadasian on Aug 14 2015, 12:23 AM
  • pano po magplay ng hevc files sa kmplayer?
  • Mga idol may nka experience na ba dito na kailangan e restart ang pc 3-5 times para mag display sa tv? Using kodi, tv samsung led 32", gt 9400 gamit ko via dvi to hdmi, usb mouse and keyboard, thanks

-- edited by voltage on Aug 22 2015, 04:16 PM
  • Sir voltage

I personally never encountered that but I think it has something to do with the DVI to HDMI. Have you tried a different device which is HDMI to HDMI and see if this happens?
  • Thanks sa reply boss, ok na i think ok na to, problema ko lng ay weak na cmos battery ko, change ko lng sequence again to pcie>pci>igp may onboard grapics kasi mobo ko everytime mag turn on pc default setting :)
  • Sir yonsei55

Hope this helps,

<click here for link>
  • Have you guys tried watching HEVC x265 files? Now I know why people on other forums are crazy about it. Everyone is looking for hardware that can decode HEVC x265 straight from the processor.

This is a huge help for those who would like to save more space on their hard drive and still get the same video quality.

The best 720p movies I can get is around 4GB or higher but with HEVC encoded movies you can get it below 3GB for 720p and take note its good as the big file sized movies.

My 1080p movies are like around 15-16GB but now I can get them below 10GB with almost the same quality.
  • thumbs up sa HEVC X265, superior but very cpu intensive, :)
  • @armenmoghadasian

kita ko na po to. i was hoping sana na may detailed instructions and yung hindi na need iupdated yung player na download ko na kasi yung filters. i guess ala na other way but to update, no choice na me. anyway thanks po!

-- edited by yonsei55 on Aug 22 2015, 06:06 PM
  • Everyone is looking for hardware that can decode HEVC x265 straight from the processor.

Di ba yan ang default, hevc is decoded straight from the cpu? Or you mean hw acceleration via gpu such as nvidia 960?
  • Sorry Davidx23

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm bad at explaining. I think it is GPU decoding which is integrated on the CPU. For example like the Intel HD graphics. That way you don't have to buy a graphic card. Am I right?
  • ^
    If I'm not mistaken a GTX 960 has full hardware decode capabilities for HEVC H.265? Not sure if the cheaper GTX 950 has the same capability but is worth looking into especially if there will be a half-height model.

I also remember reading somewhere that the Skylake CPU has hardware decoding for 8-bit HEVC, but the 2016 release will have full 10-bit HEVC decoding. So it might be the Skylake refresh or Kabylake that's a good CPU to base an HTPC build. A Core i3 Skylake with Iris-Pro graphics might be worth considering too.

My friend is using his Minix player for playback of H.265 downloads and so far has worked well for him :-)
  • Ah igpu decoding ba. So, at least haswell dapat igpu mu to decode hevc 8 bit, then broadwell igpu for 10bit:

External Image
  • may masusuggest ba kayo sa akin.
    I need a NAS or NAS Like PC(FreeNas or NAS4Free)

my maximum budget is 20k no HDD included.

tinitignan ko ngayon is yung
    NAS on the go:
    Asustor 5004T
    Qnap TS431
    Synology DS414 or DS414j

Nag checheck din ako ng Freenas build

But here what I need for my Media/backup NAS namin.
    - If possible can transcode video
    - support online raid rebuild (or kunwari, mag aadd ako ng new hdd if eexpand ko yung disk ko walang data loss)
    - automatic backup on the connected devices for a specific folder.
    - it has 1 HDD failure (RAID5 like)
    - don't care if tedious to config, Im DBA so I think I can understand it and I am also familiar with Linux/Unix command.
  • Thank you sleepygeepy & sleepygeepy

This helps me a lot. I'm glad I haven't bought anything yet after purchasing the Sony W800C because I have a lot of things to prioritize. Plus the TV can play 16GB movies with no problems it can also decode DTS. I also tried playing HEVC files with no problems. When the time comes I need to purchase an HTPC or Android box I know what to pick for my needs.

The Minix is good I was impressed with the reviews and with what it has to offer but I also need room for an upgrade.

rosearriane
    I've seen FreeNas builds on Youtube and they make it look so easy using Windows. Try it out. You can buy a decent case that can support 8 HDD's than purchasing a NAS hardware seriously. But that is up to you.

Check this out <click here for link>

You can just get an alternate case which can hold more drives.

Hope it helps.
  • Okay talaga ang freenas kaso yung online raid rebuild ang need ko talaga ng sobra which is wala sa freenas. Kailngan ko gumawa ng new raid which is maaksaya sa hdd.

Pede na ba sa freenas or nas4free ang expansion ng raid5 or raidz1 nila ng di itrerebuild pag mag aadd ng additional disk?
  • anyone here using apu setup as htpc? plan on using it on my tv to play hd movies..
    suggestions are welcome.
    tia
  • rosearriane

Sorry I haven't setup one myself so I can't help you but let me know what you figure out for future reference.

mjlm
    Sir, if you mention your budget it can help people here.
  • ^
    budget is 10k for cpu, if budget permits
    i have hdd so its out of the computation
    case is optional because i'm planning on fabricating itx acrylic case
  • rosearriane, go to the Network Attached Storage (NAS) thread, yung mga freenas users may be able to comment on the online raid rebuild. I haven't tried that on my openindiana server but for the win2012r2, nag try ako last night na mag add ng disk sa pool - this is from a 2 disk raid1 to a 3 disk raid1. Wala namang performance degradation when I tried transcoding from the raid array to my xbmc client, this is right after adding the disk to the pool.
  • Thanks David. Wala kasi sumasagot dun. Pang htpc din kasi kaya nag bakasakali ako dito.
    Yung setup mo na win2012r2. May raid card ka nun? Mahirap mag hanap dito sa pinas ng server grade na pc eh. Kung meron man sobrang mahal.

Diba ang raid 1 is mirroring? Pede ba 3hdd sa raid1? Dapat raid5 na lang. Di ako gaanong familiar sa sysad since by profession DBA ako. Correct me if i am wrong.

-- edited by rosearriane on Aug 24 2015, 09:21 AM
  • Yung setup mo na win2012r2. May raid card ka nun?

Meron, kasi yung MB hangang 6 lang yung sata port. Gumamit ako ng ibm m1015 raid card for adding up to 8 more disk. I think for win2012 pwede na yung mga cheap pcie sata adapters. Yung M1015 ko just in case lang mag shift ako sa ibang systems for future proofing.

Diba ang raid 1 is mirroring? Pede ba 3hdd sa raid1?

Yes, meron kang 3 copy ng file for each disk. Preventive measure ko 'to kasi yung isang disk nasa 52% yung health at may mga bad sectors na detected. So pag nag fail, pull out ko lang.
  • Thanks david to save me from headache at maraming tesearch i end up buying synology ds414 for 21k
  • good morning mga sirs!im planning to build an HTPC. aside from the usual htpc spec'd pc na need ko. anything na useful maging add on sa hardware?for much better movie viewing sana. also, im planning to build an i3 setup(occasional gamer) , pero tingin nyu ba much better kung amd setup(APU)? thanks po sa laha tng sasagot.
  • noob question:

Whats the difference of an HTPC build with the common desktop? Aside from the form factor po.
  • Whats the difference of an HTPC build with the common desktop? Aside from the form factor po.

Basically none. You can make any desktop as Home Theater PC, Office PC, Gaming PC, etc. depending on the hardware you put inside.

Who's Online

529 active users within the last minute, 262 members, 267 guests.
Our newest member is damascus30
Click here to see online members.

Browse Items

More »

Search TipidPC

New Want to Buys

Active Items for Sale

Active Want to Buys